Is DC2 AI Significantly better than DC1

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Werewolf13

Is DC2 AI Significantly better than DC1

Post by Werewolf13 »

see subject...

In other words is DC2 improved enough over DC1 to warrant getting it instead of Blitzkrieg. I'm a fan of western front, not so much east front but...

Better AI may just be enough to swing the pendulum the other way.

What say you?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
DeriKuk

RE: Is DC2 AI Significantly better than DC1

Post by DeriKuk »

Definitely get DC1. DC2 was a great disappointment to me. The unit density is such that the game has no flow . . . instead turning into WW1 Western Front in southern Russia. How could the designer not have anticipated this?

DC1 is a great game, and there are updated scenarios that have the DC2 AI.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: hjalmar99

Definitely get DC1. DC2 was a great disappointment to me. The unit density is such that the game has no flow . . . instead turning into WW1 Western Front in southern Russia. How could the designer not have anticipated this?

DC1 is a great game, and there are updated scenarios that have the DC2 AI.

Just got thru watching a Case Blue you tube vid by James Allen (not impressed by him at all) but from what I saw it pretty much mirrors what you just said. Too big to manage.

Thanks for the feedback.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

So now obvious question: wait for DC3? Or get DC1 now?
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

I am sorry guys, but I have to add some feedback here.

DC2 is a great game that doesn't model trench warfare. I like it because it doesn't follow stagnate lines but is very fluid. There are a lot of units, but that is a strength and not a minus. You have to have those units and it is not that cumbersome to play once you get a feel for it.

I have WITE and WITW and DC2 blows them both away.

It has some quirks that need to be addressed, but overall it is a very solid game. Not a disappointment.
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

"The unit density is such that the game has no flow" Really?

I know it was written 3 years ago, but no one really shows that "density".
I can understand that when one is starting scenarios there looks like too many units. But try to play a while.
Look at turn 39. What I can say - there are too few units to cover my front line - yet HQ ordered to move simultaneously south (Krasnodar) and east (Stalingrad).

And here is the big picture. Whole front.
I would not say, the number of (Axis) units is unmanageable. But yes, scenarios are larger. When you compare DC1 Fall Gelb to DC2 Fall Blau it looks like Axis forces are twice their numbers:
6 armies --- 9 armies
23 corps --- 33 corps
37 infantry div +16 res inf. div --- 49 ger inf div + 39 other inf div
4 mot div --- 11 mot or semi mot div
10 pz div + 2 ss -- 9 pz div + 4 security
and some number of independent units
Of course some units can be destroyed or comes by card, so these numbers are only approximately accurate.

Those little dots not on the front are anti-partisans ad hoc units, really used only when partisans pop up.
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”