serial number issue error code 740 on new PC

Post bug reports and ask for help with technical issues here.
STIENER

serial number issue error code 740 on new PC

Post by STIENER »

I just bought a new PC with win 8.1. I have win 7 shell installed on it now. I have an ongoing GC with a buddy on
game ranger we have been playing for awhile now. I have just reinstalled WAR on this new PC and with what I thought
was the newest patch, 4.50.15B. I have never had an issue with WAR before. now when we try to hook up on game ranger I get the error message....the is an error with your serial number as entered please contact support matrix games.com
error code 740.
I own the disks with the serial number on them. the serial number is correct. as I said I never have had an issue before. I went to the support page and read some of he stuff there about serial numbers and reinstalled the game 3 times,
once with using the instructions from the support page that has multiple PC reboots and the firewall and anti virus shut off.
the game appears to work fine in single mode played on this new PC. it is in windowed mode and a compatibility mode [ compatibility mode for XP ] as this is an ongoing issue with the older CC games.

ive uninstalled and reinstalled WAR on my old XP PC many times and never had any issues until now.

were both running the same patch 4.50.15B

anyone got any ideas? matrix steve...can you help here?

[:(][:(]
SteveMcClaire

RE: serial number issue error code 740 on new PC

Post by SteveMcClaire »

So the error only occurs when WaR is started from Game Ranger, is that correct? And when you start WaR by yourself it all works fine?

If this is correct, I suspect one of two things:

1) Game Ranger is not setting the current working directory to the directory where WaR is installed. I would double check the Game Ranger settings are right, and try installing WaR to the default directory (C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein) if that is not where it is already.

2) Something changed with permissions or privileges in Win 8 and now when Game Ranger spawns WaR the process can no longer access the registry properly. If this is the case it would require a change to Game Ranger, I suspect.

Steve

STIENER

RE: serial number issue error code 740 on new PC

Post by STIENER »

thanks steve.

the error only occurs when WaR is started from Game Ranger. And when i start WaR by myself it all works fine, yes.

I checked...WAR is in the right directory, IE: (C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein)
ill ask GR for some support with your suggestions and see what happens.

Return to “Tech Support”