Bloody Omaha v1.41 for TLD - Released!

Post new mods and scenarios here.
Tejszd

Bloody Omaha v1.41 for TLD - Released!

Post by Tejszd »

BACKGROUND:

Dom and his team (Luer, TT, Brett Unger, CSO_Darter, Iain Christ, Dynomite, Southernland and PT11070) started working on Bloody Omaha in 2001 and v1.0 was released on 08/24/2003. Based on feedback following v1.0 some bug fixes were done and v1.01 was released on 09/16/2003. This was the last release by the original mod team.

Per the request of Mark for his Bloody Omaha Autorun CD Release and with Dom's permission I looked at v1.01 and made the changes/fixes which became v1.2 and later v1.3 for CC5. Thanks to Kartboy6 for his help!

The mod was than ported from CC5 to TLD/WAR by Shrecken.

The mod though stopped working due to later patches so I made the changes/fixes in v1.4 released 03/23/2014

Since then based on feedback and playing the mod the changes below were slowly made.

Bloody Omaha v1.41 mod for TLD: Sept. 4/2020 Updated by Tejszd
- Added an RUnames.txt for Ost troops to have Russian names
- Added/Fixed 3 missing strat movement arrows (stratmap.txt and ScrnGadg.gdg)
- Added some missing commander pics; 513/30 Schnelle Hugo von Aufsess, US 26 1st ID Col Seitz, 1/175 29ID Lt. Whiteford, 3/175 29ID Lt. Gill, 121 Eng Lt. Col. Ploger, 635th TD Lt. Col. Smith, 743 Lt. Col. Upham
- Changed German 8.8cm Pak43 element size from 1 to 2 to prevent it from being deployed in small bunkers (vehicles.txt)
- Changed German panzershrek and US bazooka reducing max. range (weapons.txt)
- Changed German and US FO increasing accuracy (weapons.txt)
- Changed Night to occur before the 06:00 Turn 1 each day instead of before the 18:00 Turn 1 (campaign.txt)
- Changed mortar time to fire from 40 to 20 for all mortars but added the time to reload to not change the rate of fire (weapons.txt)
- Changed Command Stuart unit pic from M4 Sherman to Staurt (Alsteams.txt, GameGadg.gdg & ScrnGadg.gdg)
- Changed M8A1 75mm unit pic to side image to show short-barrel (GameGadg.gdg & ScrnGadg.gdg)
Thanks to Uberdave for his feedback on the previous release which led to many of the above changes!
- Added Allied and Axis specific entry VL's (*.btd)
- Renamed the 4 Operations
Thanks to Drizzt for the feedback!
- Increased 5cm/8cm Granatwerfer kill rating slightly up
- Increased 60mm/81mm mortar (includes off board mortar support for both sides) kill rating slightly up
- Increased aircraft bomb/rocket blast radius up
Thanks to Ronson for the feedback!
- reduced 4.2" mortar kill rating and blast rating down to be just under the 12cm
- Increased Naval support quantity on turn 1 from 2 to 4.
The above support comes from the Battleships Arkansas (BB-33), Texas (BB-35) and the two French cruisers, Montcalm and Georges Leygues.
- Increased Artillery/Mortar support quantity on turn 1 for line from 2 to 8. Decreased Turn 2 on slowly from 4 to 2.
The above support comes from the Destroyers Emmons (DD-457), Carmick (DD-493), McCook (DD-496), Doyle (DD-494), Baldwin (DD-624), Harding (DD-625), Frankford (DD-497) and Thompson (DD-627).
- Decreased German beach BG commanders aggression by -3 (hope they stay in the bunkers/trenches longer)
- Increased the scroll bar width under the strat map to match the display space/window
Thanks to buuface for feedback/testing!

DOWNLOAD:

Close Combat Series web site: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/index.php

Bloody Omaha Mod Direct Download Link: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/mo ... t&lid=4229[/b]

A BIG THANK YOU to Mooxe for the download sections and forums of CCS!

terminator

RE: Bloody Omaha v1.41 for TLD - Released!

Post by terminator »

Thank you very much [:)]
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Well, I've downloaded it and installed it. But it won't run the Mod - whenever I click on the desktop icon, even though it says it is going to run the 'Bloody Omaha' mod and asks me if I want to continue, then it goes straight through to the normal TLD game menu screen and options - i can't see 'Bloody Omaha' anywhere in the scenarios or mini-campaigns.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

What version of the game are you running?
- Gog
- Matrix
- Steam
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Chatted with a few others and it seems the Steam exe ignores /D mod of the shortcut which specifies to use the mod files in the subdirectory following the /D.

Steve,

Has there been any mod testing with the Steam CC versions? Installer versions and or Modswap?

One suggestion I have heard raised is for mods to include the Matrix exe and have the mod short cut point to it instead of the Steam exe.

xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Yes I play the game via Steam. I am clicking on the 'BLoody Omaha' icon and it actually asks me if I want to run it, but then it just starts 'The Longest Day' in the normal way.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Steve/Matrix,

How can Steam users run mods with the /D?
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

xj900uk and any other Steam players

Found these instructions on the internet;
- Go to the folder where the Steam TLD is installed
- Rename the autorun.exe to autorunbackup.exe
- Rename the CCE.exe to autorun.exe. You may want to copy this file first and than rename the copy.
- Double click in the desktop icon for the mod

Before doing that can you check the Bloody Omaha desktop icon/shortcut is running the autorun.exe or CCe.exe?

Sounds like when installer runs with the Steam version installed it targets autorun.exe instead of CCE.exe.

The installer for the mod for me with the Matrix version generated a shortcut target of;
"D:\Games\Matrix Games\Close Combat The Longest Day\CCE.EXE" /D Mod_Bloody_Omaha_v1.41
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Rec'd some feedback today and sounds like the above instructions are not correct as there was no autorun.exe.

But they noticed a file named CCEMatrix.exe and pointed the Mod desktop shortcut at it then the game started with the mod.

So it looks like Matrix/Steam renamed the autorun.exe to CCE.exe and the CCE.exe to CCEMatrix.exe.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Steve/Matrix,

How can Steam users run mods with the /D option?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

- Right click "Close Combat The Longest Day" in your Steam library list.
- Select "Properties..."
- Click "Set Launch Options..."
- Enter "/d <modname>"

This should be passed through the launcher to the game EXE. Just confirmed with current TLD.

Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Thanks Steve I'll get someone to test as I do not have the Steam version installed myself.

Not sure if someone has done that within Steam but I know people have tried to create a shortcut themselves and doesn't work.
irishwolf75

Post by irishwolf75 »

Hi Steve, I just gave it a go but Steam is still coming back with the same error (Steam failed to initialize).
Only way to run the Mod through Steam seems to be by copying all files from the Mod Folder and overwriting the files from the original TLD Folder (Steam will then launch the Mod instead of TLD).
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Hi irishwolf75,

The 'Steam failed to initialize' error normally only occurs if you're trying to run the game EXE and the steam client isn't running.

How are you launching the game? You should start it through Steam as usual (hit 'Play' from your library.) At what point do you get the error?

Have you made any changes to the TLD folder / file other than creating a mod folder? If you've previously copied the game EXE over the launcher as described above, or made other changes to the game files outside of creating a mod folder, you may need to undo all that.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

- Right click "Close Combat The Longest Day" in your Steam library list.
- Select "Properties..."
- Click "Set Launch Options..."
- Enter "/d <modname>"

This should be passed through the launcher to the game EXE. Just confirmed with current TLD.

This doesn't seem the work.

The /d <mod name> option is probably stripped away as when you press PLAY in Steam, it brings up the Matrix Launcher. Then you click play on the launcher and it sends you into the base game.

In the last version of TLD using a mod, I renamed the Matrix CCE.EXE file to CCEMatrix.exe and placed that in the root folder of the Steam version of TLD. This last version of the CCE.EXE did not force the launcher to start so the /D options remained intact and the mod was loaded. Doing this same procedure now brings up the "steam failed to initialise" message.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

There's no need to copy over a different EXE and Steam will probably prevent that from working in any case.

I did a test going back to a clean slate uninstall/reinstall and the reason I had it working is because I'd previous changed my launcher config. Argument pass through doesn't seem to be working and I will check with the Slitherine release team about changing this.

For now, please try this:

1) Uninstall / reinstall the Steam build just to get back to a known state.
2) Copy over the Mod_Bloody_Omaha to the folder where your Steam CCE.EXE resides.
3) Open 'Launcher.exe.config' from the Steam install folder in notepad (or some other text editor.)
4) Edit the line:

<add key="Arguments" value=""/>

To Read:

<add key="Arguments" value="/d Mod_Bloody_Omaha"/>

5) Save the file then run from Steam as usual.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Tejszd -- attached is a customized launcher.exe.config for Steam TLD to run Bloody Omaha via the launcher. Until the launcher pass-through is sorted out people can copy this file over their launcher.exe.config and use the 'Extras' button in the launcher to run Bloody Omaha or 'Play' to run the base game. Changing the string that shows up on the 'Extras' button is way more involved (there are a bunch of language files that would need to be modified) so that's probably not worth the hassle.

This file can also be used for other mods by editing the file in notepad and changing the value in "SecondaryButtonArguments."
Attachments
Launcher.config.zip
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Thank you Steve!!!

Edit: confirmed your attachment Launcher.exe works for the mod!!!

Renamed the file from Launcher.exe.config to Launcher.exe.BloodyOmaha as I also have Meuse for TLD out there.

Steam User Instructions:
Install the BloodyOmaha Mod
Click on the attachment in this post to download the updated Launcher.exe
Go to your Steam TLD directory and rename Launcher.exe.config to Launcher.exe.config.Org
Open the downloaded zip and copy Launcher.exe.BloodyOmaha to the Steam TLD directory/folder
Rename Launcher.exe.BloodyOmaha to Launcher.exe.config
Now when you start TLD select Extras and it will run using the mod files

To go back to standard TLD, delete Launcher.exe.config and rename Launcher.exe.config.Org to Launcher.exe.config
Attachments
Launcher.e..odyOmaha.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Thank you
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Important note: The file I sent is 'Launcher.exe.config' -- it's a text configuration file and not the launcher.exe itself. You should only need to replace the 'launcher.exe.config' and shouldn't need to touch the launcher.exe.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”