For the Grogs: CoI Developer Release Notes

Close Combat - Cross of Iron is based on Atomic Games award Winning Close Combat Series. Close Combat is a real time game were you take command of German or Soviet squads on the Eastern Front during World War II. This version is being developed by CSO Simtek and will include many new features and improvements.
Beeblebrox

For the Grogs: CoI Developer Release Notes

Post by Beeblebrox »

As it probably won't be very helpful for strangers to CC. Anyways, I think there's enough brain damage in there for those inclined to chew over...

This is the current Rev.

http://www.closecombat.org/forums/attac ... 1165618745

(I can't attach a zip file here).
e_barkmann

RE: For the Grogs: CoI Developer Release Notes

Post by e_barkmann »

impressive - would it be true to say that a lot of the changes are Real Red changes, or based on Real Red work?

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Beeblebrox

Post by Beeblebrox »

It would be true to say that Ron Gretz and Real Red are a significant influence on the foundations of CoI :)

On a purely personal level, I think that Real Red established the first hardcore CCIII (Mod) production, trying to moderate many of the inadequacies, and create a more realistic model for the 'realism' nuts like me.  As such, I would propose that it (Real Red) is a seminal work.

In any case, CoI is going to get modded to shreds (I do so hope... [:D])
Ragbag

Post by Ragbag »

This is such a healthy turn of events to have it RR'd off the shelf, with a tip o' the hat to Mr. Gretz. I think that it was the dumbing down of CC that caused it to recede from the marketplace, it was never meant to compete with the mainstream junk. I had heard somewhere that CC was originally concieved as a Squad Leader for PC, but the deal went sour and so CC went it's own way, does anyone know if that's true?
Beeblebrox

Post by Beeblebrox »

The last Commercial Close Combat Release was "Road to Baghdad", a spin off from Close Combat Marines (CCM), which was produced for the USMC as a Squad Level Tacticla Trainer.  It's still being used.

So in a nutshell, after Close Combat V, Close Combat went Military, and no Commercial release has been made until Cross of Iron, which is a re-release of Close Combat III, albeit with improvements and expansion.  During this time, we have produced a version for the RAF Regiment, and are currently working on 2 variants of CCM, AT (Anti-Terrorism) and JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller - or something like that).  Both are Trainers for the USMC.

At the moment, the prospects for CC next year are looking good, both Commercial and Military, and if our prayers are answered, we may even start work on CC6!.  For me, that would be something....
Shaun Wallace

Post by Shaun Wallace »

The last Commercial Close Combat Release was "Road to Baghdad", a spin off from Close Combat Marines (CCM), which was produced for the USMC as a Squad Level Tacticla Trainer. It's still being used.

So in a nutshell, after Close Combat V, Close Combat went Military, and no Commercial release has been made until Cross of Iron, which is a re-release of Close Combat III, albeit with improvements and expansion. During this time, we have produced a version for the RAF Regiment, and are currently working on 2 variants of CCM, AT (Anti-Terrorism) and JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller - or something like that). Both are Trainers for the USMC.

At the moment, the prospects for CC next year are looking good, both Commercial and Military, and if our prayers are answered, we may even start work on CC6!. For me, that would be something....

Beebs is correct and 2007 will be the year of a major upsurge in all things CC, so if CC is your game you are in for a good year!

The partnership of Simtek and Matrix is perfect for this, I can speak from both sides having worked for both companies. CCM and many of its improvments have never actually hit commercially and these improvements are major if you know CC. I know that from a personal point of view seeing CC come to life again is somewhat of a dream and knowing the many good things that I know are in the pipeline is very exiting! Its been a long time since there has been anything new (apart from the odd major mod or two lol ;) ) so all the new things coming up for CC players are IMHO very deserved ;)

Watch this space guys ;)

Sulla
Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php
Boar

Post by Boar »

ORIGINAL: Shaun Wallace

Beebs is correct and 2007 will be the year of a major upsurge in all things CC, so if CC is your game you are in for a good year!
The partnership of Simtek and Matrix is perfect for this, I can speak from both sides having worked for both companies. CCM and many of its improvments have never actually hit commercially and these improvements are major if you know CC. I know that from a personal point of view seeing CC come to life again is somewhat of a dream and knowing the many good things that I know are in the pipeline is very exiting! Its been a long time since there has been anything new (apart from the odd major mod or two lol ;) ) so all the new things coming up for CC players are IMHO very deserved ;)
Watch this space guys ;)

Sulla

Shaun, Chris, and all of CSO Simtek and Matrix, thank you for hanging in there to make a dream come true! Seeing the release notes is like a
gift from heaven! All of the things people have desired since the original release are now going to be implemented. This is truly a monument to
the dedication and hard work and sheer guts it took to persevere in this endeavor which many had said years ago was a dead dream.

As ever, best wishes to you all. Congratulations on a job well done in advance -- I am entirely confident I for one will be well satisfied, for it
was more than I ever dreamed could come true for one of my favorite games.
old man of the sea

Post by old man of the sea »

ORIGINAL: Ragbag

This is such a healthy turn of events to have it RR'd off the shelf, with a tip o' the hat to Mr. Gretz. I think that it was the dumbing down of CC that caused it to recede from the marketplace, it was never meant to compete with the mainstream junk. I had heard somewhere that CC was originally concieved as a Squad Leader for PC, but the deal went sour and so CC went it's own way, does anyone know if that's true?

Well, it wasn't that deal that went sour, it was another deal that went sour that spured Atomic to leave Avalon Hill. CC was never intended to be an Advanced Squad Leader translation. It was always "soldiers in a sand box" to Keith. Atomic did try to ride the Squad Leader wave with the title Beyound Squad Leader, but that was as close as it ever got. It made a great tee-shirt though. I should sell that thing on E-Bay.

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
KG_Absolute

Post by KG_Absolute »

The release notes indicate a buy here.  An excerpt from the release:

Command Centre
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Command Centre provides a number of useful Links providing a convenient centralized service as an alternative to the Start Menu or manual launching.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Links include:[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]Cross of Iron: The Game[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]Battle HQ:  Online Game Lobby and Chat System[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]ModSwap:  The CCModSwap Utility (see below)[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]CSO Downloads:  File Library for Cross of Iron Downloads[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]MMCCIII Client: The Massive Multiplayer Close Combat Client (se below)[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]Manuals:  This opens the Manuals Folder in the default file browser[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]Matrix Games:  The Publishers Site[/font]
·         [font="times new roman"]Closecombat.org: The CC Community Site and Forums[/font]
CCModSwap

This is a new game with new features and new additions too.
rebon

Post by rebon »

Hello All.
can not wait much longer, i will have to dig out my old CC3 disk to get my CC fix :)
luer

Post by luer »

Looking at the Design Document, I must say (even if it is maybe blasphemous) that RealRed is very visible, and unfortunately some of the RealRed things that were just as unrealistic as some parts of regular CC3 seem to have survived. (eg 5cm FlaK 41) It also seems to me that body armor has been re-introduced, something that I always found made the AI even worse (by changing the crawl of death into a dash of death) and made it easier for worse players (If you charge across an open field in Russia and a tank MG fires at you you are dead. THat's why Millions of ppl died on the EF every year....)

Well, I was so unhappy with RealRed that one day back in 1999 I started modding, so maybe it was good anyway :) .....

The CC3 algorithm for AI unit purchase was: buy the most expensive tank available, followed by the next one and then fill up the slots with some infantry it could afford. Does it work to be recitfied via availability (aka Rarity) ? I always was a little disappointed at the effects of ,eg, RealRare. Would be nice if it worked w/o changes to the code.

I still day Chapeau for re-issuing this and bow to the designers and I don't wanna sound negative!
Good luck with it and let's see, maybe I start modding too :).

Return to “Close Combat - Cross of Iron”