stjeand (Axis) vs generalfdog (Allies) - Tora, Tora ,Tora

Please post your after action reports on your battles and campaigns here.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

stjeand

stjeand (Axis) vs generalfdog (Allies) - Tora, Tora ,Tora

Post by stjeand »

SADLY I spent over 30 minutes typing up my turn 1 antics only to have it lose them all so I am just going to use a few words until the game gets going.

Turn 1 -
Summary - Almost complete disaster.

From Pearl Harbor to the Philippines the Japanese should have just stayed home.
The Maryland and a DD sunk in PH and bottomed a DD in Singapore.
That was the only ships sunk this turn. Second worst turn I have ever had.
The army landed with an attempt to take the Philippines in one turn and took 20% losses with nothing to show.

Even failed to attack the infantry next to Changsha...another 20% losses there...

The ONLY luck of the day was the Surabaya and Bandar Lampung fell to the Japanese attack.

The turn cost me 8 planes...and 30 lost LC due to the failed attack on the Philippines.

This will put me well behind. I was unable to send ships to try to hold back the Allies moves in the Solomons due to the Philippine fiasco.

This will end up giving the Allies a huge jump on the Axis with a loss of just 1 BB and the Philippine disaster.

The only bonus that the Axis could get is a clear turn in the NEI...

Only captured 7 oil this turn...as I was so distracted I sent the wrong unit to attack in Borneo and failed.

The general has been sacked. In fact the general that was in charge of the sacked general has been sacked.
ChinaTurn1.jpg
ChinaTurn1.jpg (245.58 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Last edited by stjeand on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
stjeand

Re: stjeand (Axis) vs generalfdog (Allies) - Tora, Tora ,Tora

Post by stjeand »

Dec 21, 1941 (Turn 2 Axis)
NEI
The Allies perform a few odd moves...they move ships to engage a small Japanese fleet made up of the Battlecruisers Haruna and Kongo with the Takao CA...
First the Prince of Wales attacks and is sunk damaging the Hauna.
Then Repulse attacks and is crippled by torpedoes from the Takao and sunk by the Kongo.
Then the DEI bomb the fleet missing with all attacks...
But the CL De Ruter attacks, closing quickly with the damaged Haruna, and cripples it with torpedoes before being sent to the bottom of the Java Sea.

The IJN is perplexed by the maneuver, but will take the victory.
The Haruna steams for Hong Kong to dry dock for repair.

As expected rain come so the NEI...slowing the advance but the pass to Bandar Lampung is captured and the Japanese land forces begin to cross.

Borneo
Tarakan is captured by the 8th Brigade with bombardment from the new flagship Yamato.
A battalion of troops land and capture Sarawak, lucky that the NEI division there forgot to occupy the port.

Burma
In Burma the Indian forces retreat, wanting to reorganize rather than fight.
RangoonRout.jpg
RangoonRout.jpg (201.41 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
China
Heavy rains come to China halting any and all battles...but the Chinese retreat setting up new lines so the Japanese advance to take control of the lost territory.
ChinaT2.jpg
ChinaT2.jpg (349.06 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Philippines
Outside of Manila a small US fleet is loitering keeping the units there in supply. 3 IJN battleships fail to find the enemy but they call in the elite 5th air division and they are able to locate and sink a US cruiser and DD...
The US division is scattered due to attacks by an elite Japanese naval division and now, Manilla is surrounded.
Philippines.jpg
Philippines.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Marshalls
The Allies occupy Tarawa which can not be allowed. It gives them insight into the comings and the goings of the IJN in the Marshalls so a fleet of heavy battleships is sent to blockade them. IJN marines will be called in shortly.
The Kido Butai is docked here with ships guarding the ports from being cut, hopefully the US do not try to strike due to the poor showing at Pearl.

Malaysia
Clean up of a small Indian regiment in Malaysia is completed...and now the Japanese set their sights on Singapore which is no longer in supply.

Solomons
The Kiwis occupy Buin but are now cut off by the IJN.
More Japanese units are quickly sent to the area but due to the needs in the Philippines the numbers are still small.
A Japanese fleet is keeping the US division in Noumea from being able to receive supplies. Not sure how long we will be able to keep that up.
Solomons.jpg
Solomons.jpg (128.45 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

January 4th 1942

Burma
Rangoon guarded by a small Indian company surrenders to a large Japanese force while multiple divisions drive toward Ledo and Chittagong

NEI
The weather clears but the small marine divisions there will not be able to dislodge the NEI corps now guarding Batvia, so fresh Japanese 10th army is brought in to finish them off.
With Palembang captured and repaired oil is starting to flow. This will be a huge boost to the continuation of the war.

Philippines
The force in Manila is still to strong for the army and 2 divisions surrounding it. One more turn should be enough to dislodge it. The attack is planned.

China
The Japanese attempt to dislodge the Chinese cavalry and take heavy losses with little effect.
The Chinese are digging in as the snow falls while the Japanese continue their build up. Multiple armies are moved to to the front lines though will have to wait for a spring offensive.

Solomons
Northern Papa New Guinea is in Japanese hands while the south stays controlled by Australia.
Henderson Field is captured by a Japanese marine unit while another lands in an attempt to remove a Kiwi division that is in Buin. Losses are even and the Kiwi's hold. But they have been without supplies for nearly a month so they are getting desperate.
Around Noumea the Australian cruiser is caught attempting to break the blockade and sunk by the Fuso. The Japanese are weary that US carriers may be operating in the area so the Kido Butai is moved to Rubaul if they were to make their presence known.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Great, I am following.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

January 18, 1942

NEI
Tragedy strikes, as the Kongo is found but the NEI airforce and struck 3 times by bombs and sinks.
(The NEI airforce is insanely strong. I lose a ship every game to it...and it barely takes losses. I think it is highly overpowered)
IJN pulls all ships from the area for fear they will strike again. The 31st army starts shelling Batavia, but due to rain does not launch an all out attack. They shall wait for the Yamato to return from shelling the Philippines.

Philippines
The Yamato and the cruiser Takao shell Manilla heavily. The 12th army along with support from an elite naval division and the 56th division launch an all out attack on the capital. The Luzon corps is not able to handle the combined assault and surrenders. With the capture of Manilla the 12th army will be ready to embark next turn for some hasty refit and will head for China.

Marshall Islands
Tarawa is still under allied control but is not completely blockaded...the unit there has little hope to escape though you never know. The IJN is keeping a keen eye on the island and moving a naval division in so that it will be able to invade shortly.

Solomons
The IJN invade Manus and Kavieng. The 5th IJN marines begin their attack on Buin but fail to dislodge the 1st Kiwis...but it is only a matter of time. A two US destroyers arrive to break the blockade of Nouma, one is caught by the air units of the Kido Butai and swiftly sunk, and the other sunk by the battleship Fuso but not without the Fuso taking 2 torpedo hits. It must sail back to Rabaul for repair and the blockade is reinstated by a fresh force of IJN destroyers. Two US subs linger nearby but do not engage.

Malaya and Burma
The 19th army attacks Singapore and takes heavy losses, and is unable to dislodge the dug in Indian forces.
They are expected to surrender next turn.
Rangoon falls and the Japanese army make their way up the coast and towards Ledo with hopes of cutting Allied supplies to China. Chittagong falls without a battle, as the Japanese near the boarder of India.

China
Snow falls in the area and the Chinese army digs in around Changsha. Multiple armies ready for spring while the Japanese high command readies to be sure to take the rail line from Hong Kong to Changsha.
The Chinese army in Sian is almost surrounded. It is expected that they may have to retreat to avoid that.
Knowing the dangers of the supply situation in the area the Japanese decide to pull out many of the defending divisions and call in the small coastal brigades to police the area. They should be able to control any uprisings as well as use less of the supplies required for the frontline army.

Overall the IJN is not happy. With the loss of the Kongo and damage to the Fuso and only sank 2 DDs in return. The IJN may have to replace some of these losses overtime but resources are scarce as they continue to build up their army for the war in China and the US.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

January 18, 1942

DEI
No longer taking chances the IJN decides to overwelm the Allied units still holding out in Batavia with a huge show of force.
The Yamato and cruiser Takao with a couple destroyers along with a host to coastal vessals reach the port and pound the units holding out for 4 days straight.
Suddenly the shelling stops...and while the Allies are hunkered down the 31st army with a marine detachment storm the city.
The Allies immediately capitulate.
Japanese units start the clean up of the island.
The oil has been flowing for a month now and stores are beginning to finally build up.

Marshall Islands
Tarawa is still under allied control. This is not sitting well with IJN command.
2 US destroyers are spotted as they sink a Japanese coastal unit.
So the IJN decides to stike. 3 battleships lead by the Mutsu hunt down the destroyers sending one to the depths of the ocean with all hands lost.
Overhead Val dive bombers spot the other. It tries to evade but one bomb hits, igniting the magazine store and the ship explodes disappearing beneath the waves.
This leaves 3 battleships in a precarious position...so multiple air units along with a handful of carriers are brought in to monitor the situation and engage any new US units.

Solomons
The 5th IJN marines finally capture Buin. Multiple US subs are spoted around New Caledonia and attack the IJN destroyers blockading. They fail to score any hits and take a few close calls with depth charges.
But the situation is becoming a bit to unstable so the blockade is called off.

IJN submarine
Have been busy trying to limit the US and UK supplies to their Allies. It has been costly for the Japanese. Multiple subs have been damaged with only 7 Merchants sunk.
They will repair and head back out. Each hit is one less unit for the Allies.

Malaya and Burma
The 19th army finally captures Singapore.
Japanese army units get near Ledo but do not have the forces to currently make an attack.
They will require multiple more armies to assist and have informed high command.
With the capture of Singapore and the NEI armies as dispatched to Burma for attack on India.

China
Snow continutes to fall in China. Army north and center units move deeper into China stretching their supplies to the brink but the Chinese are in danger of being surrounded if they do not retreat.
ChinaT5.jpg
ChinaT5.jpg (483.86 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
The IJN is happier with the sinking of more US destroyers. Their numbers will have to be replenished or they will have to risk larger vessals in the near future.
The Japanese navy is separating with the knowledge that a new UK carrier has arrived in the area.
No US carriers have been spotted but air units are still searching.
stjeand

Expansion slows

Post by stjeand »

Feb 42

Quiet turn for the Empire.

India
Saw a near cut off of the entire Indian and UK army with the destruction of a single Indian division. This would have spelled the end if their ability to hold back the IJN but they should be able to make an escape.
IndiaT6.jpg
IndiaT6.jpg (212.56 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
China
A small shift in the lines are the Chinese try to solidify their defense. They keep falling back and are getting more and more at risk of a major break. The Communists have nearly fallen back to their capital. When clear weather arrives it the Empire expects a major victory on all Chinese fronts.
ChinaT6.jpg
ChinaT6.jpg (382.85 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

March 1, 1942

China
Rain comes...and the Japanese forces continue their slog forward. In the north the Chinese continue to fall back and the Japanese move in to capture more territory. They are close to being surrounded which is why they keep falling back. For the the IJA is unable to keep up with the retreat.
ChinaT8.jpg
ChinaT8.jpg (250.84 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
India
Ledo is evacuated as the Indian and UK forces are at risk to be surrounded.
The IJA has noticed this and have decided to make a major push. The 17th India division has been being attacked and taken major losses. It it holding Dacca along with the Indian air force. The IJA has decided to try to cut off much of the Indian and UK forces on the border.
In a combined attack the 34th army with the 18th division the back of the 17th Indian division is broken and retreats.
The IJA 19th army drives forward scattering the Indian air force.
DaccaFallsT8.jpg
DaccaFallsT8.jpg (112.53 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Now all that stands between the armies being cut off is the Indian Command.
The IJA decides to call in the Teishin Shudan elite forces to drop behind the Allied lines and assist in the attack, along with major air bombing runs.
The strike cripples the Indian command and they retreat....now all the Indian and UK forces east of there are cut off from Allied lines and will likely have to surrender. This is going to be a devastating blow to the Allies.
AlliesSurroundedT8.jpg
AlliesSurroundedT8.jpg (239.81 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Little happens in the Pacific
stjeand

Outskirts of Calcutta

Post by stjeand »

March 15, 1942

India
The IJA is extremely pleased with the progress and decides to push towards Calcutta, leaving many Allied units surrounded.
The 31st and 37th armies overrun the decimated 17th Indian division. Then with another army smash into the Lucknow division driving it back with heavy loses.
All that stand before Delhi are just 3 Indian divisions and a couple of command units. 5 IJA armies are ready to make the push.

China
3 armies now surround Changsha.
The north continues to retreat and the IJA close in on the Communist capital.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Good offensive in India. Your opponent must combine his Indian divisions into small corps and play with ZOC. Division does not have any ZOC and are too weak against your armies. His only chance now is to urgently send some US infantry corps in India to recreate a line.

How is Colombo defended? Perhaps you have an opportunity for a naval landing there? The victory point there is always good to take.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

I believe Colombo has a division...which I could take out...
But if Calcutta falls India will collapse.

I am not sure where the US corps are. Does not look like any were built, other than starting and they have not moved to Australia which is where I would have them.

Though I think the US need to send 5 or 6 corps to India and hammer the Japanese back.

In this game...they may arrive to late.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I had a game like this where I have almost lost India. I have circled the wagons around Bombay and my opponent didn’t manage to take it. In 1944, I was able to free India. It was a fun game.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

March 29, 1942

India
The IJA decide to go for broke and attack Calcutta. They contact the IJN for assistance and they reluctantly agree knowing that their ships will be in a precarious position. But the capture of Calcutta will be a huge naval base in the Indian Ocean and is worth the risk. They also move the Kido Butai to Rangoon ready for anything the Allies send their way.
The IJA unleash nearly 1000 bombers to pound Calcutta into submission and send in the seasoned 35th and the fresh 31st armies, with some heavy artillery.
The IJN land multiple marine divisions in an all out attack. Dozens of ships swarm the bay of Calcutta with the Yamashiro and Ise battleships shelling the city.
The attack is swift and overwhelming. The Indian corps is battered and driven out of the city.
With Calcutta falling Japanese troops swarm through as quickly as possible trying to not allow the Indian forces to recover.
The main Indian forces along with nearly all of the UK troops are still surrounded...but hold out still.
It is with a heavy heart that the IJA announce the death of Tomoyuki Yamashita.
His funeral will be in Tokyo and the emperor will personally attend. He was singlehandedly responsible for the victory in India and will be immortalized in the homeland.
IndiaT9.jpg
IndiaT9.jpg (391.69 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
China
The IJA work on an encirclement of the Chinese frontline forces.
As soon as the weather clear, an all out attack on Changsha will be unleashed.
In the north the Japanese continue to wait for clear weather but supplies are becomming a problem.
ChinaT9.jpg
ChinaT9.jpg (371.97 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Pacific
The 6th air division is called in to perform submarine duties around Tarawa.
YES Tarawa, the an IJN embarrassment. It is still in US hands but the submarine supplying them is caught unloading and sunk.

Solomons
IJN air resource spot multiple ships in Espirito Santo. It is reported that there are multiple large vessals there.
The only units in range are the 1st anti-submarine air division. It is decided to send them with the hopes that their training is enough.
In two waves the US ships in port are caught completely by surprise. The USS San Franciso is struck by multiple bombs and at least 1 torpedo and is only spared due to a shallow bay. It rests on the bottom.
But the Pennsylvania is not so lucky. As it tries to make it way out of port a bomb penetrates the deck and strikes the forward magazine. In a massive explosion the bow is blow clear away from the ship and it sinks beneath the bay waves.
The 1st air division caught the ships completely by surprise and surprisingly take no losses.

Japanese submarines have been relatively quiet but put to sea again in an attempt to strangely US supplys from getting to India.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

April 14th 1942

India
The Japanese pour into the country like plum wine at a party.
Some clean up of the surrounded forces occurs but minimal.

China
Still bad weather so air is moved into position for the coming assault on Changsha

Pacific
The battleship Tennessee is spotted off the shores of Tarawa.
Japanese air fail to hit the ship as it evaded all the dropped bombs, so the IJN sends in 2 battle cruisers...they are able to find the ship but suffer the worse of the attack. The Tennessee's guns cripple the Hyuga, but the damage is done.
The Tennessee takes a hit to it engines slowing it down...another IJA air attack comes in this time sinking the ship.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

April 28th 1942

India
Japanese forces continue to advance. A small US corps arrives but it might be too little to late.
The IJA close in on Hyperbad and Dehli trying to cut at many rail lines as they can to slow down the Indian forces...though sparse that they are.
More clean up is attempted to free up the divisions tying down the surrounded Indian forces...in the may lay another Japanese general falls...he was too close to the front line and is hit by enemy fire.
IndiaT11.jpg
IndiaT11.jpg (272.48 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
China
The Chinese actually launch an attack in the north driving back a IJA division but in doing so exhaust their lines.
Clear weather arrives and the IJA unleash everything they have against the Chinese on all fronts. In the North they punch through the lines nearing the Communist Capital.
In the South Changsha is bombed by nearly a dozen air raids and then 3 armies launch an all out attack, driving the Chinese army out. Another army is pushed off the rail line just west of the city. Heavy losses on both side occur but more Japanese troops move in for a continued push.
China11.jpg
China11.jpg (298.68 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Pacific
A US destroyer is caught in the Solomons and sunk, which a IJN destroyer attempts to relieve the troops on the island of Canton. They destroyer is caught by the USS Mississippi and heavily damaged. It wisely retreats back to port heading for repairs in Truk.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Is this game still on going?
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

Sort of...turns are down to 1 a week or so.

Sadly I have been lax because I figured it was going to end.

Communist China is about to fall.
The Japanese are ready to attack Kweiyang...so the Chinese are being pushed back.
India is in trouble, though my army was completely cut off due to supply issues. Should be back next turn though.

Outside there everything is the same.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Looks like you have a strong Japanese strategy. Interesting to beat me, me as Allies?

Return to “After Action Reports”