Strange download problem

Valor & Victory Tech Support Forum. Please post any issues found here.

Moderators: Matrix Games Staff, MOD_Valor & Victory

kvob

Strange download problem

Post by kvob »

When I first purchased this game and downloaded it from the link (which appears when purchase is confirmed) I found that I couldn't install the game. After a bit of head scratching, I realised there was no file extension. I added .exe to the end of the file and was then able to install the game.

Later, I decided to buy the Stalingrad DLC and had the same problem but, this time, no amount of tweaking the filename worked. This was once again downloaded from the link provided with purchase confirmation. As a last resort, I re-downloaded the file but this time from the My Page section where all my games are registered. It was successful and I was then able to install the DLC.

Despite having resolved these problems myself, I decided to raise this for two reasons
1) it may be a problem specifiaclly related to Valor and Victory installation files or
2) it may be a more generic problem with Matrix downloads overall.

Frankly, I'm becoming extremely reluctant to buy software here if I'm going to spend ages figuring out what on earth is going on every time that I do make a purchase.
yobowargames

Re: Strange download problem

Post by yobowargames »

Hi kvob

I spoke to Matrix about this issue. They suggested it may be your AV software is removing the .exe from the file name. However, they are looking to see what they can do on their end to help resolve the issue.
YOBOWARGAMES – “BRINGING THE JOYS OF BOARD WARGAMING TO THE PC”
kvob

Re: Strange download problem

Post by kvob »

Thankyou for the reply.
Your explanation sounds like a possibility.

However, the DLC was a zip file (if it is the same file as on My Page) and even adding the .zip extension didn’t work.
Also, I have downloaded many times before from Matrix to the same PC and this is the first problem.
If it was the AV software, then why didn’t it affect the download from ‘My Page’ ? It only seems to happen if I download from the link given with purchase confirmation. Twice in a row - both V&V related seems more than a coincidence.

No other site I have bought software from has triggered such a problem with AV and, therefore, I suspect the problem is at the Matrix end.

Return to “Tech Support Forum”