Soviet attack weakness in 6-8/41

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

thedoctorking

Soviet attack weakness in 6-8/41

Post by thedoctorking »

Is there some special mechanism in the engine that nerfs Soviet attack rollss in the first ten turns or so? I have noticed repeatedly that when I try to make an attack, and the displayed CV odds are like 6:1, even with good leaders in command and plenty of SU available, the Soviets somehow fail all their rolls. First ten times or so I chalked it up to bad luck but I'm beginning to think that there is something going on that I'm not aware of.
chaos45

RE: Soviet attack weakness in 6-8/41

Post by chaos45 »

I would concur that in the early game even with good leaders the soviets seem to have a higher percentage of failed rolls than they should. Think HLYA has also noticed this.

I noticed many times soviet CV even on the defense collapsing a lot in the first 10 turns even when dug-in with good Command and control.

I don't know of any stated game reason for this as an effect or anything unless it was a stealth add to a patch.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: chaos45

I would concur that in the early game even with good leaders the soviets seem to have a higher percentage of failed rolls than they should. Think HLYA has also noticed this.

I noticed many times soviet CV even on the defense collapsing a lot in the first 10 turns even when dug-in with good Command and control.

I don't know of any stated game reason for this as an effect or anything unless it was a stealth add to a patch.

I was pretty certain I read in the manual a specific Soviet nerf prior to November or October related to Soviet CVs. Did I imagine it or was there not one there?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe regular CV is misleading you? Soviets have pretty bad chances to pass tests (low morale, low experience, low leader skills), so their random CV does not inflate well in combat, and that makes or breaks attacks.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Also soviet have special issue to get enough ammunition (converting supply to ammo) to their units in 1941 due to a hardcoded rules according to the manual, and having low ammunition increase the chance of failing test&checks.

Maybe it could be this. ?
Brakes are for cowards !!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Also soviet have special issue to get enough ammunition (converting supply to ammo) to their units in 1941 due to a hardcoded rules according to the manual, and having low ammunition increase the chance of failing test&checks.

Maybe it could be this. ?
Yep that was the thing I remembered - although I think it ends in October or November?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Nada
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

The ammunition rule has been in there forever but typically units that don't fight for several turns have full ammo. The main effect I have seen from the ammo roll is keeping soviet airbases low on munitions even into the blizzard turns. Last game I played into november soviet airbases even on rail lines where only averaging like a 40% ammunition reload each turn.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I bet the ammo is part of it. Units in front-line positions in hot sectors are fighting every turn.

I've had suspicious failures even on turn 2, though.

I normally use the better CV approximation method. When I look at the detailed combat report, I always seem to have failed a bunch of rolls.
WingCmdr

Post by WingCmdr »

Soviet units fight better above 30 experience. If you don't refit units before combat they never improve their experience and die in the thousands. The paratrooper units always retreat in good order (40 + exp), no matter the odds, but Sov inf div.s usually route. A combination of below 30 experience and only enough ammo for one or two Ger. hasty attacks and the rifle div.s route faster than militia. Only the Mech div.s are worse.

Return to “The War Room”