[FIXED B507] Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ryszardsh

[FIXED B507] Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post by ryszardsh »

I seem to have a fairly consistent lock up/no response issue. Running 1.03, build 504. Attached is a dxdiag file, will upload autosave to next message. Lock up does not seem to be tied to any specific issue such as setting an emitter to on or off. Does seem somewhat tied to having many missiles in flight - or at least is more common then. Does seem to happen only with larger scenarios. I have sound turned off. System is a Haswell NUC unit with 8GB of ram running W8.1. Lock up does not appear permanently fatal - if I go back and load last autosave scenario will usually run through the previous lock up point - but will lock up again. ideas?

RAS
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(70.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mikmykWS

RE: Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks for the great report. Logged and we'll take a look.

If you can grab and post the autosave file after it happens next time that would great!

Mike
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

and autosave...had to change the extension to get it to up load so change back to .scen and all should be good..

Thanx

RAS
Attachments
asave.txt
(629.29 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Rodwen67

Post by Rodwen67 »

I have the same problem with a Intel I5 chip and 8 gb ram.
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

Hi

I was about to start a thread about this very exact issue. The more a scenario contains objects the more i'm experimenting freezing ( almost always random as stated before, with autosave i can continue the scenario ).
I managed to get a savegame where it crashes everytime within a few minutes.

My configuration is : Dell laptop E6540 Haswell I7 & 8go ram . Patch 1.03

Attachments
OprationTonerre.zip
(435.73 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
vrnichol

Post by vrnichol »

Having the same problem. Running AMD 8 and AMD 7970
BHT
steelp

Post by steelp »

I have the same issue. I have tried changing timing of events, aircraft in air, types of missiles in air, reducing radar systems, reducing AU count, pulse mode vs no pulse, no sound etc. Here is one of many files. Only one in 10 plays in editor would run more than 30 minutes simulation time. Would like to know if there is a bug or some limit has been met as I would like to continue working this scenario. I did read about cruise missile issues and a fix on build 506 ( I believe) but I do not have access to try. This is built on 1.03 B504.
Attachments
LockUp.zip
(576.67 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

George S. Patton
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Similar problems for me too. Running Yokes' big 'Closing the Kurile Gap' scenario I can usually expect two or three crashes an hour, sometimes more. While it can happen with large missile and aircraft counts, I've also had it happen when nothing unusually large is happening. (Well, not large for that monster scenario.) Sometimes there'll be an error message box, more often just a freeze and eventual greying out of the screen. Autosaves play through normally, so it's not as if one specific action is causing the problem at one specific time, so I've not sent in any saves. It just seems to be a matter of waiting for the next random crash, and then reloading again.
steelp

Post by steelp »

Newer version of previous submit. Runs longer but still locks up. I have delayed all ASM's from firing as far as I can tell at point of lock up. SSM's were on screen at various points up to lock up.
Attachments
LockUp2.zip
(4.28 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

George S. Patton
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Similar problems for me too. Running Yokes' big 'Closing the Kurile Gap' scenario I can usually expect two or three crashes an hour, sometimes more. While it can happen with large missile and aircraft counts, I've also had it happen when nothing unusually large is happening. (Well, not large for that monster scenario.) Sometimes there'll be an error message box, more often just a freeze and eventual greying out of the screen. Autosaves play through normally, so it's not as if one specific action is causing the problem at one specific time, so I've not sent in any saves. It just seems to be a matter of waiting for the next random crash, and then reloading again.

Same here with the same scen.

It is a monster scen.
kaburke61

Post by kaburke61 »

Just another data point. I had the "not responding" lockup problem with playing: "FOST: Advanced ASW Exercise",
which I have played many times with no problem before. I didn't attach a file due to the fact that restarting from
the autosave worked fine.
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

And another data point:
attached is an autosave from a smaller scenario, an adaptation of community scenario smooth trail, as before change the extension back to "scen". Lock ups occur w/ some regularity, this save was just before a lockup when a harpoon was impacting the amphibs in the rear row of the Russian formation. I have noted that sometimes - not every time -I am left with Command running as a process after closing the program - not sure why that is but the orphan process eats cpu cycles like crazy. Seems to be orphaned only when program locks up as in attached autosave but not every time.

RAS
Attachments
Autosave.txt
(138.74 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Here's another one that may be related.

Playing 'Closing the Kurile Gap', B504, with nothing exceptional happening the pulse time ramps up to about 8000 and the game suddenly vanishes. There is no freeze or any other warning, just the sudden and complete vanishing of the main window and message log. Looking at the task manager shows four (!) copies of Command running. These persist in running until I manually close them out.

Reload the scenario, and it runs fine (for now...). I've attached a copy in case its of any use.
Attachments
Closingth..encrash.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: ryszardsh

and autosave...had to change the extension to get it to up load so change back to .scen and all should be good..

Thanx

RAS

Thank you. Reproduced and fixed in Build 507.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: caiman_

Hi

I was about to start a thread about this very exact issue. The more a scenario contains objects the more i'm experimenting freezing ( almost always random as stated before, with autosave i can continue the scenario ).
I managed to get a savegame where it crashes everytime within a few minutes.

My configuration is : Dell laptop E6540 Haswell I7 & 8go ram . Patch 1.03

Unable to reproduce this in Build 507; it is possible that it has been covered by previous fixes. Please check again with B507!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: steelp

I have the same issue. I have tried changing timing of events, aircraft in air, types of missiles in air, reducing radar systems, reducing AU count, pulse mode vs no pulse, no sound etc. Here is one of many files. Only one in 10 plays in editor would run more than 30 minutes simulation time. Would like to know if there is a bug or some limit has been met as I would like to continue working this scenario. I did read about cruise missile issues and a fix on build 506 ( I believe) but I do not have access to try. This is built on 1.03 B504.

Unable to reproduce this in Build 507; it is possible that it has been covered by previous fixes. Please check again with B507!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: ryszardsh

And another data point:
attached is an autosave from a smaller scenario, an adaptation of community scenario smooth trail, as before change the extension back to "scen". Lock ups occur w/ some regularity, this save was just before a lockup when a harpoon was impacting the amphibs in the rear row of the Russian formation. I have noted that sometimes - not every time -I am left with Command running as a process after closing the program - not sure why that is but the orphan process eats cpu cycles like crazy. Seems to be orphaned only when program locks up as in attached autosave but not every time.

RAS

Thanks! The problem was reproduced and fixed in Build 507.
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

stupid ?

where is 507?

;)

ras
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Posted an hour before you message...

tm.asp?m=3583708
steelp

Post by steelp »

Installed B507. Sim ran flawless with large scenario(same as tested previous) for hours then had error message. Attached file - screenshot and auto save. Looking very good with new build. Not sure what this error is.
Attachments
B507.zip
(884.02 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

George S. Patton

Return to “Tech Support”