Civ V

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: Civ V

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Civ II & IV are the best, Civ V is just a watered down remake of the rest. I didn't like it at all. It moved to far away from the others for my enjoyment and became a childs toy of a game......Too bad Sid Meier had kids......cause that's what his last few games have been for.....kids.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

I think it kinda amusing thinking of Civ V as watered down or 'easy'. Perhaps you might like to challenge a buddy of mine and he can fold spindle and in general trash your butt in a game that being so easy will of course make you look all the more incapable :)

Too many people think cluttered and sophisticated equals harder and superior.

That sort of belief just means you think Chess is a game for idiots who can't handle detail.

I liked the earlier versions of Civ, played all of them too much. My friend and I both agree though, we have no desire to go back.

Now if they can just put real Civ on a tablet, and not make it a silly version, I'd be very amused.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I personally love CiV V. Having spent more hours in Civ (possibly with the exclusion of my own but probably not!) than any other game I absolutely live the series. I played Civ and Civ II both flavours to death. Civ III I played less and I barely looked at Civ IV (all due to life pressures) but love what they have done with hexes and combat. I know its less realistic but I only really play the early game. By the mid to late game I lose interest and start again. So for the early stages I can highly recommend it but I cant comment on any tech past artillery as I think this is the furthest I usually get :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You would have liked my mod I made for Civ IV Iain as I turned the early game into the main game adjusting the years and research times. The early years lasted a very long (the majority of the turns) time as I made the years equivalent to 4 seasons a year. So one didn't get these unrealistic 50 years a click or more in the vanilla game. It was kewl seeing spearmen and legions on the map for a very long time and there was no rush of research since I made that take a long time also.

Also a little remake of Civ called CEVO is a very good game, a lot better than Civ V or its expansions by a long shot.

And to DSW Civ 5's qualities have nothing to do with me playing your friend, it has everything to do with the Game itself as a whole. It's a "watered down version" of the others, it does not have the feel or the quality of the others before it. So you and your friend can go jump in a lake for all I care, as far as you "thinking" from the looks of your other posts you haven't done much of that in your lifetime anyways. lol[:D]
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

So what you are basically saying, is your opinion of what qualifies as a challenging design can't stand up to a person with actual skill then.

You can call it watered down if it suits you. Maybe you simply can't hack Civ V and need something more your speed.

I'm not concerned about your views of my thinking process though. Half the planet likely thinks you are wrong.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Les..your going the hard way here in trying to get along and fit in mate. I'd try and curtail it abit otherwise your going to get ganged up on again and end up on everyones ignore button. Hate to say it..been your friend for awhile now, but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I bought civ 5 after I posted that link. I like it quite a bit. Has enough of the old stuff to let you jump right in and the in-game help is great too. All civ games have a lot of polish and they always look great and are easy to use, Civ 5 is no different. Lots of fun.
No problem Chief!
mllange

Post by mllange »

T-H-I-N-K before communicating.

T = True - Is it true?
H = Helpful - Is it helpful?
I = Improve - Does it improve upon the silence?
N = Necessary - Is it necessary?
K = Kind - Is it kind?

If you can't answer in the affirmative to all of the above, it may be better to remain silent.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

Want some good mods with Civ5 BNW go here- http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429 and https://github.com/Thalassicus/cep-bnw/releases (4 mods- Communitas Map, Cat Communitas AI and Tools, Ceg Communitas Enhanced Gameplay, Cin Communitas Interface) More info here- http://communitas.wikia.com/wiki/Communitas_Wiki and http://civmodding.wordpress.com/ you might have to dig a little [;)]

Communitas expansion is amazing (policies, random events are just around the corner and last of UI is coming online and if you want to give feedback shoot)

Also

Infoaddict, (either Ethnic Units or R.E.D Modpack and fyi these are just skins)Calypso's colored Religious Icons (basics and extended). All these can be grabbed on Steamwork shop.

I can't play without Communitas its so good. [:D]
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Les..your going the hard way here in trying to get along and fit in mate. I'd try and curtail it abit otherwise your going to get ganged up on again and end up on everyones ignore button. Hate to say it..been your friend for awhile now, but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all.

" but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all."

That is actually rather impressively amusing for this forum community actually. Well for some of it that is.

But I think ole Winston said it fairly well.

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

That seems to sum up a lot of the chat here. People want to be able to have their say, but can't handle people not agreeing with it.

I'm fully aware that some have not been amused that I am largely unsympathetic about a negative reactions to how I think a normally 300 dollar board game is capable of being considered a great deal at approximately 150 bucks even with unfortunate shipping calculated in, in the form of Computer WiF. Considering that this half price offer which is what it feel like, comes with substantially superior literature and a convenience program that permits playing of the game without the massive table eating paper maps.

It is unfortunate that some here sound like they are pussy whipped and unable to buy their own hobby interests freely for fear of their wives complaining, even when they are able to save up for it. It's sad some need to save a little longer than others. I mean sheesh, if I tried that on mine here, I'd hope to get laughed at.

It's not in my nature to pour maple syrup all over the truth though just to placate grumpy old men though. I'd rather just say it like I see it and those that don't agree, are free to do so. Just don't cry while doing it.

But, the important thing, which no one could know of course, is I am only here to help say nice things about WiF, and enjoy the launch. And then my account is basically past due date. I haven't championed the Nintendo DS for a couple of years now. Well not since the Android tablet made mincemeat out of my needs to have a convenient doodad for light gaming needs on the go. The games are both better, and on a much larger screen which my old eyes appreciate immensely.

And I was planning to put the account out to pasture in a couple of weeks.
I am not sure I will sign up a new account. I was surprised by the arrival of computer WiF (to be honest, I sure didn't see it coming). I should already be gone. I don't really NEED to be here that badly.

I rarely leave my Facebook page these days.

Remember boys, you don't have to be miserable all day long :)
budd

Post by budd »

"chuckles" ... I'm just here for the witty banter..... I promise not to cry[8D]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

Civ V is simpler and more streamlined than previous versions of Civ, but as of Brave New World, I think it's a terrible mischaracterization to say that it's dumbed down or doesn't have as much strategy involved. It absolutely is as much of a deep strategy game is 2, 3 or 4
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

That expansion is worth picking up, made the game (Civ5) much more details and realism. Infact i have a mod to travel to New Worlds that dated back in 1500s, if you are interesting goto Game's Library, Civ5's Workshop then type in "New World Earth".
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Civilization 5 follows in the greatness of the previous versions, a must buy! [:)] However, I was disappointed that the Privateer unit was dropped in Civ 5. [:(] Some people said the unit was like cheating but it was great to have that option...a very valuable unit! Happy Gaming everyone!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Privateers are still there. Well they are there as I type at least.

Interesting effect too. They gain coin each time they attack. They are limited to attacking hostiles though. If you have no beef with the target, you can't select them.

I like and dislike getting rid of the spies in the Civ IV fashion. It was amusing going in and destroying key resources right before an attack. I suppose I would prefer units made with rare resources to remain 100% effective after being made. It seems silly that a swordsman unit gets weaker from loss of iron resource after it was constructed.

I also thought religiously flipping cities was fun, right till it was done to ya :)

I thought culture bombs were fun, again right till it was done to you.

But I don't miss kill stacks. It made antiques from AI players devastating to modern era forces in illogical proportions.

The main impact with Civ V is that with one unit per hex, aside from non combatants, is now you must actually plan out the attack, you can't just park a kill stack next to a city. And THAT is why Civ V is no one's 'easy game'. Civ IV is easy in comparison militarily.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

Privateers are still there. Well they are there as I type at least.

Did they add them in one of the expansion packs? [&:] They were not in the base game. I haven't played in awhile...thanks.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa »

I believe Privateers were added in G&Ks expansion. All info here for what added what here- http://well-of-souls.com/civ/

Also Civ 5 all dlc and expansions 20$ on amazon- http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-Brave-World- ... B00ELJROFA

Return to “General Discussion”