Can anyone explain why there is only unit available to load?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MichaelU

Can anyone explain why there is only unit available to load?

Post by MichaelU »

I have a fast transport TF at Luganville and a number of units, some set to combat and some to strategic. But only one ever shows up when I click on load troops. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong.
I've got some APs at the port, but they can't load anything except the one unit either.
FOW

RE: Can anyone explain why there is only unit available to load?

Post by FOW »

more infomation required.

Can you show us (or tell us) which units, the command they are each attached to, and the mode of each unit.

What is the port size and can the TF be docked?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Please post a couple of screenshots, of both land units and task force.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
MichaelU

RE: Can anyone explain why there is only one unit available to load?

Post by MichaelU »

Here's the transport TF screenshot
Attachments
transportTF.jpg
transportTF.jpg (127.79 KiB) Viewed 205 times
MichaelU

Post by MichaelU »

And the fast transport TF screenshot
Attachments
fasttransportTF.jpg
fasttransportTF.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 183 times
MichaelU

Post by MichaelU »

And the land units I'm trying to load. The only one that shows as available is the 31st USN Base Force.

This is all happening very near the start of the Guadalcanal scenario, so it's all the units that start out at Luganville, and I've pulled back some transports to pick them up.
Attachments
landunits.jpg
landunits.jpg (126.14 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Reason is that all other units you have in base are under Restricted command, indicated by R after their HQ name. Those units cannot be loaded to TFs.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

Not pointing out this special thread but sometimes I get the feeling that 20% of this forum cosists of "not reading the rule book instead I do a posting. "
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

Not pointing out this special thread but sometimes I get the feeling that 20% of this forum cosists of "not reading the rule book instead I do a posting. "

I find Forum Search to be very helpful also.
MichaelU

Post by MichaelU »

Thanks for that, clears it up nicely. I can't remember having this problem before, so I'm assuming the units were changed to restricted command as part of the patch. I spend political points to change their HQ, right, then I can ship them?

Seems weird that the 114th USN base force, which is already 100% prepared for Lunga, is restricted, while the 31st USN base force isn't. You'd think it would be the other way around.
MichaelU

Post by MichaelU »

I've read the rule book all the way through, but retaining all of it -- that is a different matter. There is a lot of stuff to absorb.

Again, was trying various forum searches, but wasn't able to answer my query that way. Guess it's a case of actually knowing what search term to use, I'd never have guessed restricted.
Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

Hi Michael, I am with you, the game is very complicated. Most of the issues however are easy explained. But as always, if the solution is in front of you - you don't see it.

These (R) units sometimes able to change paying the appropiate PP (if their assigned HQ is in yellow letters) - but some units have it white instead - then there is simply no chance to change it.
JVSFugitive

Post by JVSFugitive »

From the manual:

"Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless the
HQ is changed. Even when HQ’s are changed subordinate
units need to be individually acquired via PP’s."

"Temporarily Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless
the HQ is changed. When the HQ’s are changed subordinate
units change to the classification of the parent."

"Static Restricted - HQ’s (and on some occasions units) are
restricted and may never have their HQ changed – they
remain and always shall be permanently restricted."

"Unrestricted – None of the above restrictions apply."
chazw

Post by chazw »

I also could not figure out why units won't show up to load. I had no idea there was anything called restricted units! Thanks to this thread I now know what to look for. Now that I have done a search for 'Restricted' I see what is wrong. It's not just a matter of reading the manul, there is also a responsibility of the people writing manual to put in placing where it would be important. I did not realize that the Headquarter section was so important. If it's that important a simple paragraph it the Loading throops section referring to checking the Headquarter of units would have made learning the game.

I wanted a game to replace my Pacific war game. I loved Pacific war and the matrix edition after finding an editor was fantastic!
In Pacific war you are a Theater Commander. It seems to me the A.E. of WITP you have to spend a lot of time being dock yard commander! If Nimitx or McArthur had assembled a large number of throops at a base and had enough ships to load them. Would they be concerned what HQ they belowed to! Like Micrsoft Vista, WITP AE seems to be so overloaded with useless features that's it's not as enjoyable.

I will try the information that I read in this post. [:'(] Thanks for the guy that posted the question because I was having the same problem. [:@] NO THANKS to the guy to the guy that knocked him for missing a point that I feel should have been repeated in the section where you LOAD throops. HQ is in 'Pacific War' but they didn't stop you from moving units to the fight.

Charles
jb123

Post by jb123 »

ummm, the manual is poorly written, confusing and full of errors.
eMonticello

Post by eMonticello »

ORIGINAL: MichaelU

Thanks for that, clears it up nicely. I can't remember having this problem before, so I'm assuming the units were changed to restricted command as part of the patch. I spend political points to change their HQ, right, then I can ship them?

Seems weird that the 114th USN base force, which is already 100% prepared for Lunga, is restricted, while the 31st USN base force isn't. You'd think it would be the other way around.
I suspect that the ability to move restricted units to the front lines was a bug fixed by the patch. I was able to move the Americal Division to Guadalcanal without changing the HQ in the pre-patched game. As far as the 114th USN base force, I suggest using the editor to make the appropriate changes, since that's probably one of those things that will be fixed in a future patch.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: jb123

ummm, the manual is poorly written, confusing and full of errors.
That was sooo uncool...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Why would they restrict Pacific Base Forces in AE  ??  You need those to follow the Front Line combat units to open airfields and ports.
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”