1948 Lions vs Texans

Maximum-Football 2.0 is the latest and greatest release from the acclaimed sports management video game studio, Wintervalley Software. Bringing a whole host of new features like full Xbox 360 controller support, full DirectX 9.0 utilization, and scores of other upgrades and improvements, Maximum-Football 2.0 delivers on gameplay and fun like a bullet pass through double coverage. Like its predecessor, Maximum-Football 2.0 allows players to experience the thrill of managing a team in any league!

Moderator: David Winter

Old Coach

1948 Lions vs Texans

Post by Old Coach »

This game was between the 2 bottom feeders in the West and could be dubbed the Toilet Bowl part 1. Detroit took out all their frustrations on the Dallas Texans 49-14. Unfortunately for Dalls, they don't play the East's winless Steelers.

Old Coach

Attachments
PictureSet1.jpg
PictureSet1.jpg (395.37 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Old Coach

RE: 1948 Lions vs Texans

Post by Old Coach »

Picture Set 2

Attachments
PictureSet2.jpg
PictureSet2.jpg (402.28 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Picture Set 3

Attachments
PictureSet3.jpg
PictureSet3.jpg (372.7 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Last picture set for this game. You can see from the total statistical advantage enjoyed by Detroit that the score could have been much worse. Lion turnovers kept them from scoring in the 70's.

Old Coach

Attachments
PictureSet4.jpg
PictureSet4.jpg (360.29 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Mrgravyard50

Post by Mrgravyard50 »

Ok this is where I have a problem with any Sports game.. IT Must be Real....
When has ANY NFL team run for 431 yards in a game?
I want a game that Plays as close to real as can be, EX: 85 Bears vs 00 Ravens the score SHOULD be something like 7-3 10-7 maybe 21-10 But Not 34-28 or something like that.
I am in hopes that Max will be THAT game that Plays Real...
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Mrgarvyard50,
I agree, the 431 yards rushing by Detroit was very abnormal. Their total offense in this game is about 3 games worth for them. There were several long yards in the mix- the 2nd string FB popped a 94 yarder. Is that normal? No, but it does happen occasionally when one team gets on a roll and the other is just unable to stop it. Dallas is a very bad team but still this was not a normal game as far as rushing is concerned. If you look at the game results from several weeks of play, you'll see that I have had some of those 10-7 games. You get equal teams with good defenses and those type of games happen. You get two bad teams with crummy defense like Dallas and Detroit and you might get 49-14. Surprisingly, Dallas' best defensive games were against 5-2 Houston. They lost to the Oilers 20-13 and 21-17. Then they crunched by Detroit- go figure.

Another point here is that computer and console football games are geared toward the offense and scoring as they come out of the box. To tip the balance back toward the defense, you have to do extensive editing of player ratings. Even though I'm half way through this 1948 season, I'm still tweaking player ratings to get better results. In other words, this league is still a work in progress.

I, like you, enjoy those 7-6 games because of the challenge it is to score. This Detroit-Dallas game actually got boring for me because it was too easy to score and I don't enjoy blowouts. I love a 10-7 head knocker.

Old Coach
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I agree with both of you, I like the close ones, especially with good defense.

Max is the best option, as far as graphical football games, to see that kind of football. But, you are likely to still see the occasional wild stat.

Currently, the best option is to ONLY use the hack playbooks, if you play US rules. They are excellently designed and balanced against each other. Or create your own like Oldcoach does.

MaxFB does require a certain amount of work on the users part, if that user wants the game to behave a particular way. There is no easy 'out of the box' option.
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Below are some pictures from a game I completed last night between Penn State and Maryland. This is part of my 1964 College league. The game ended 7-7. You only see Penn State highlights because Maryland didn't have many. The game was 0-0 until midway through the 3rd quarter. PSU finally put together a nice drive and scored on a 1 yard plunge. Maryland tied it when they returned a fumble 23 yards for a TD. This was a defensive struggle as are many games that I play with this league. One big difference between this league and the 1948 NFL is player SPD & AGI ratings. In the pro league, offensive RB's, WR's and TE's as well as DB's have SPD's & AGI's in the 80-90 range. The SPD's & AGI's for the college league range from 70-80. In both leagues I give DB's a 3-5 point advantage in SPD & AGI. This seems to have a more positive effect for the defense when the SPD & AGI range is 70-80 rather than 80-90.

Old Coach

Attachments
PictureSet.jpg
PictureSet.jpg (397.79 KiB) Viewed 171 times
teamgene

Post by teamgene »

Wow!  I remember wearing pants like that with the hip pads sticking out!!!  Nice job :)
CheddarLover74

Post by CheddarLover74 »

I thought i was the only guy that liked tough,hard fought,low scoring games.

Will you guys be my new best friends?

The one thing that irks me is when during/after a tough defensive game all the commentators or writers talk about is offensive incompetence when often one or both defenses played really well.
Argyle1968

Post by Argyle1968 »

Can I ask a dumb question? How do you get the players to use long sleeves?

Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Not a dumb question at all. It took me a couple of years of beta testing this game to figure out how to do this.

In the picture below you'll see a portion of my Common folder that shows some of the 100+ skins I have for my 1964 College league. The sleeves are modified skin BMP's. At the bottom of the picture you see the home and away skins/sleeves for Alabama. When they are the home team, I copy the home skins/sleeves from the home uniform folder into the common folder. When they are the away team, I copy the away skins/sleeves from the away uniform folder into the common folder. The bottom portion of the picture shows how I have the skins/sleeves stored in the Alabama home uniform folder.

Hope this helps.
Old Coach

Attachments
Sleeves.jpg
Sleeves.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Argyle1968

Post by Argyle1968 »

Fantastic!  Thanks for the explanation!

Return to “Maximum-Football 2.0”