Bomber Command missing cities ...

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

anthonykevinluke

Bomber Command missing cities ...

Post by anthonykevinluke »

Hi,

I have noticed that with this build that bomber command regularly misses or completely misses entire cities. The latest was a raid on Nuremburg with 428 bombers across 20 + sqns and not one bomber hit the city. Stream led by an experienced pathfinder Lancaster Gp, only 16% overcast, minimal night fighter interference and not a bomb on the city .... I have seen this much more often than usual lately and was wondering if others were experiencing the same issues? I have found the only safe targets are Berlin, Frankfurt and Essen ... Thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers,

AKL
Johntxic

Re: Bomber Command missing cities ...

Post by Johntxic »

Yes - their performance is abysmal now: worse than 1941.
The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

What time period are we talking about here? You won't have much luck flying at night deeper than 300 miles from the English coast unless your planes have H2S/H2X. Gee/Oboe should work good within 300 miles but you will be lost beyond that cat-mouse range. Essen, Cologne, Dusseldorf and the rest of the Ruhr are within that range. Either way you will still have misses.

Lighting up the target with fires helps later raids (we're talking minutes here) locate the same target. Experience and fatigue also come into play.

Keep up the reporting, if it really looks wonky I'll take a look.
simovitch

mark dolby

Post by mark dolby »

From the other side of the coin, BC does seem to miss a little more than before but I'm talking an extra 2-4 groups missing on a raid. The deeper the penetration the more likely a total snafu could happen (seen a few) and 205 Group in the Med most definitely suffer if going too far into Eastern Europe. Also my NJG groups seem less successful than a few builds back so it's swings and roundabouts.
Johntxic

Post by Johntxic »

The RAF's night intruders also seem to been afflicted - sometimes I find them circling 50 or 100 miles away from their intended target. Others are bang-on though - about 25%, I'd say.
The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

For the next patch I reduced fatigue for nightfighters and night Bomber groups flying at night. Makes sense and this seems to help night raids and interception results. The main features on the next patch will be revamping a/c radar, ECM and night battles. Shouldn't be long now.
simovitch

Nimrod84

Post by Nimrod84 »

Sounds good and thank you for the update.

Couple of things to note as you are looking at night fighting mechanics.
1. I'm only seeing the Mosquito RCM get and transmit data on Freya. The Freya transmissions seems to happen immediately on form-up and then the Mossies fail to transmit again. The Wellington RCM with Elint doesn't seem to transmit data on anything. I have intentionally tried to get enemy fighters to engage them / find them on radar to no-noticeable effect.
2. Should messages appear when the radar detectors (Monica / Boozer / Naxos / Serrate) detect? I've not noticed any messages and I assume that it happens under the hood.
3. Some night fighter squadrons look like they are fielded without their radars (488).
Screenshot (151).png
Screenshot (151).png (658.78 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Refitting them seems to clean up the issue.
4. I'm starting to see some squadrons with missing commander values (I've not kept a close eye out for them). So far its just for non-fielded groups, but the vast majority of non-fielded groups will display the leaders values. 302nd FS is an example.
Screenshot (162).png
Screenshot (162).png (720.51 KiB) Viewed 151 times
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

All these things are being fixed with the next patch. The commander issue is WAD because that particular group hasn't arrived yet and no pilots or commanders are assigned to it yet.
simovitch

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

anthonykevinluke wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:38 am Hi,

I have noticed that with this build that bomber command regularly misses or completely misses entire cities. The latest was a raid on Nuremburg with 428 bombers across 20 + sqns and not one bomber hit the city. Stream led by an experienced pathfinder Lancaster Gp, only 16% overcast, minimal night fighter interference and not a bomb on the city .... I have seen this much more often than usual lately and was wondering if others were experiencing the same issues? I have found the only safe targets are Berlin, Frankfurt and Essen ... Thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers,

AKL
Good to see the game working as per history.
Bomber Command, and the 8AF, often struggled to find their targets, and when the weather got bad things got worse. Unfortunately the game doesnt allow you to bomb Switzerland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_in ... rld_War_II
Allied planes bombed Switzerland about seventy times during World War II, killing 84 people. Although these bombings were attributed to error, some historians have suspected that the Allies wanted to send a warning to Switzerland for having collaborated with Germany
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”