Is this a bug? And what to do with it?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoneGunman

Is this a bug? And what to do with it?

Post by LoneGunman »

Hi!

May I ask for help?

I´m playing allied grand campaign against Japanese AI with version 1.8.11.26a. Now it´s 31st DEC 1941 and everything seems to be going as usual except one thing: for 10 days or so, there is a Japanese TF at the Davao hex and it is... doing nothing, just sitting there. I´m not sure of its composition, FoW gives me intel going from 4 - 9 ships, from BBs and CAs to AOs.

I believe that it is hardly AI´s attempt to do some kind of "blockade" and therefore, I´m afraid that it is a bug. My questions are - what is an opinion of players much more experienced than I´m, and secondly, if it is a bug, what should I do? I certainly don´t want to have this situation until 1944 or 1945...

Thanks in advance!
Platoonist

Re: Is this a bug? And what to do with it?

Post by Platoonist »

Not a bug, but a featurette. I've seen this particular task force do the same thing in AI games. Nothing unusual. I blundered into it once with the AVP Heron. It seems to consist of the battleships Hyuga or Fuso, the heavy cruiser Mogami and a few destroyers. They generally guard the Gulf of Davao at Mindanao until a Japanese amphib force arrives to land at Davao City and then disperse.

Battle near Davao.jpg
Battle near Davao.jpg (108.33 KiB) Viewed 243 times
LoneGunman

Post by LoneGunman »

Platoonist wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:19 am Not a bug, but a featurette. I've seen this particular task force do the same thing in AI games. Nothing unusual. I blundered into it once with the AVP Heron. It seems to consist of the battleships Hyuga or Fuso, the heavy cruiser Mogami and a few destroyers. They generally guard the Gulf of Davao at Mindanao until a Japanese amphib force arrives to land at Davao City and then disperse.

Battle near Davao.jpg
Thank you very much. Great news. I was hoping for this kind of explanation!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

They are targets waiting for your Dutch subs or your American S-boats with working torpedoes. They are also waiting for a sub minelaying TF to show up.
Attachments
Fudo Waterfall , Japan.jpg
Fudo Waterfall , Japan.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

RangerJoe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:28 pm They are targets waiting for your Dutch subs or your American S-boats with working torpedoes. They are also waiting for a sub minelaying TF to show up.
I tried bombing this TF a few times with B-10s based out of Cagayan. My rookie pilots just couldn't seem to find the target. The bombs probably would have just ping-ponged off the BB deck armor anyway.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

RangerJoe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:28 pm They are targets waiting for your Dutch subs or your American S-boats with working torpedoes. They are also waiting for a sub minelaying TF to show up.
I flooded the bay with subs, with S-boats and Dutch subs going to the head of the bay. It took a week or so but one of the subs got a shot at BB Mutsu and scored a hit. No sign that Mutsu left the area so I kept the subs in place and about a week later another sub got a shot and scored 2 hits. Now Mutsu started heading to a shipyard for repairs and on her way out of the bay two other subs attacked for three more hits. Down she went. Worth all the sub commitment and patience it required!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

BBfanboy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:04 pm
I flooded the bay with subs, with S-boats and Dutch subs going to the head of the bay. It took a week or so but one of the subs got a shot at BB Mutsu and scored a hit. No sign that Mutsu left the area so I kept the subs in place and about a week later another sub got a shot and scored 2 hits. Now Mutsu started heading to a shipyard for repairs and on her way out of the bay two other subs attacked for three more hits. Down she went. Worth all the sub commitment and patience it required!
Very nicely done!
Attachments
id say that ill drink to that but i will drink to almost everything.jpg
id say that ill drink to that but i will drink to almost everything.jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”