Amphib HQ & Assault Lanndings

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hano

Amphib HQ & Assault Lanndings

Post by Hano »

Trying to refine my amphibious operations - As I understand it you need an Amphib HQ in an AGC to coordinate the operation.

My intended landing force is a two div US Army force, with their Corps HQ and a USN Base Force in the landing force - I think I read that this will act as Beach Master and reduce disruption during the landing.

Should the Army Corp HQ be in the chain of command of the Amphib HQ or does it not matter, being sufficient that the Amphib HQ is present?

I think that historically the Amphib Force Commander remained in command until the army/marine HQ hit the beach when they chopped over to them - I seem to remember reading in Ian Toll's Pacific War trilogy that there was a huge row when someone proposed to change this in 44.

But how does it play out in WITP? Am I also correct that the landing force will not automatically Shock Attack unless it is an atoll?

Any help appreciated
Platoonist

Re: Amphib HQ & Assault Lanndings

Post by Platoonist »

Command hierarchy in this game is pretty much a non factor. It's only important that the HQs are there not what echelon they are attached to.

Just hitting a regular island shouldn't trigger a shock attack.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The issue of HQs for Amphib landings requires that you understand the types of HQs.
An Amphibious Corps HQ is a simple combat support HQ like all the other Corps HQs out there.
The Amphibious Force HQ is the one that stays on the AGC and coordinates the landings. This gives bonuses to unload rates and reduces losses on landing. This is from organizing waves of landing craft and ensuring the previous wave has unloaded and cleared the beach before sending another wave - i.e. it prevents the traffic jams that plagued the first few amphib landings that the Allies made in the Pacific.
As for Beachmasters - the AGC does not land any of its Amphib Force HQ troops to act as beachmasters, but there are various units that help with moving the goods off the landing craft and off the beach. Look for names like "Amphibious Truck" or "Shipping Engineer Unit" and note their Naval Support squads (stevedores). I don't know of any Beachmaster in charge of them all to get the goods off the beach.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I would suggest including combat engineers to reduce forts as well as tanks in your invasion force. Artillery units can also be useful. Don't forget to have special cargo only loaded ships to deliver supplies immediately. Actual base forces should be landed later as they only get in the way during the invasion. There may also be stacking limits as well so be aware of that and its problems because a lot of supplies will be wasted in that situation.

There were beachmasters but they are not specifically included in the game. The would just be included in the Naval Support unloaded during the invasion. If you have ever seen the movie The Longest Day there is a bren carrier that stalled, the beachmaster gave it a whack with a stick, and then the bren carrier's engine started.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

The USN base force will have naval support which will make the troops land faster. I'd say you're on the right track to include anything with naval support in your invasion force.

Another thing to consider is prep. Obviously, 100 prep for all units is ideal (including the Amphib Force HQ), but as Patton said, "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." One more thing is Ground rating for your amphib TF leader. The higher the better in terms of disembarkation speed and lack of disruption (I think). The names escape me, but there are a couple with decent Ground ratings.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The Guru of Amphib landings was Adm. Richmond Kelly Turner. He headed all the large Pacific invasions for the US. If you find him in the game his stats should serve as a guide for important traits.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

There are 2-3 Admirals especially in later war who have pretty good Land rating.

Turner is one of those. Others' names escape me right now, but they are there.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Even pure AGC without HQ in Amphibious TF gives benefits, FYI.

The real gorilla is of course AGC with Amphibious FORCE HQ with good commander.

I emphasized and bolded, since Amphibious Corps HQ is just Corps HQ. Force HQ is completely different beast and loads only into AGC.

I was in military and used to deal with people with lowest denominator, thus don't take this as insult to your intelligence ;)
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Sardaukar wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:34 am I was in military and used to deal with people with lowest denominator, thus don't take this as insult to your intelligence ;)
That is very true, also unless and until people get to know others here including what they know, don't be insulted if knowledge is presumed when it is not known. Also, don't be insulted if someone states what you already know.

Then again . . .
Attachments
through this gate pass the leaders of military intelligence.jpg
through this gate pass the leaders of military intelligence.jpg (28.57 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”