Weapon damage calculator

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Cyclopsslayerr

Re: Weapon damage calculator

Post by Cyclopsslayerr »

just curious as to how the game handles fractional damage.

IE: A missile hits for 34, with a 25% shield bypass. That resolves to 25.5 versus the shields and 8.5 to the armor. Are the 0.5's retained, rounded, or what?
Es78

Post by Es78 »

Cyclopsslayerr wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:36 am just curious as to how the game handles fractional damage.

IE: A missile hits for 34, with a 25% shield bypass. That resolves to 25.5 versus the shields and 8.5 to the armor. Are the 0.5's retained, rounded, or what?
From my tests and thats done with a T7 Hive missile against a T2 deflector shield, it does 26 base damage you get damage to shields = 26x0,75=19,5.
Here i got on the first hit 20 damage, after that i could see both 19 and 20 damage. So at first glanse it could be both.
But I will note that it can be difficult to confirm 100% as the shield recharge is constantly going up, and i have an idear that the shield strength is also counted in decimals, as you can see it growing slowely without the number increasing.
So i could argue since the shield went down by 20 point in the first hit that it is rounded up. But my guess is it actually does 19,5 damage to shields and the shield only shows 172 (192 full strength) even though its on 172,5 and first shows 173 when its on 173,0. You need to get into the code to or get one from the develpoment team to confirm how this is counted, i cant test my way out of it. So for this sheets 19,5 damage is counted as 19,5 damage.
What i think will be more interesting as the shield is constantly rechargining is how it will work on armor. Havent got to test this yet. As i have a weird issue with armor penetration that i am looking more into.

As a side note, even if you can get the distance from a ship to a target you can only do this tests with missiles that have no damage falloff. As you actually get different damage from a ship/base depending on where on the ship/base the weapon is placed as the distance to the target varry from the front to the rear. An Epsilon torpedo on a large defensive base actually varry in damage to shields by around 3 ponts, due to a longer distance. giving a length of roughly 360
Nightskies

Post by Nightskies »

Mind if I include snips using this calculator? I don't intend to cut parts out, just image snips of the damage/range graphs.

It'll be with regard to analysis on ships in the Fleet Olympics I'm working on.
Es78

Post by Es78 »

Nightskies wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:42 am Mind if I include snips using this calculator? I don't intend to cut parts out, just image snips of the damage/range graphs.

It'll be with regard to analysis on ships in the Fleet Olympics I'm working on.
Sure i only created this so peopel can have more knoweledge and the must fun, with a great game as this is. So go ahead

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”