How is the ai for this game?

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

rsanchez545

How is the ai for this game?

Post by rsanchez545 »

Hi All,

I'm very interested in this game. How is the AI? Is it serviceable? Or is it a game where I need to play w/ others to get a reasonable experience. Note: Playing against a human will always be better than an AI, but I'm not a huge fan of PBEM.
Zovs

Re: How is the ai for this game?

Post by Zovs »

I have found it very serviceable, I think its kicked my butt at least three times out five now lol. I most likely suck though lol
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

We have spent years developing the AI and it's capabilities. The primary purpose was that was due to our surveys finding that 95% of our customers will eventually play against the AI.

With the updated Legacy AI and the brand new Scripted AI with the Event Engine, it takes the game to a whole new level.
gregb41352

Post by gregb41352 »

I can vouch that the AI is at a minimum serviceable.
It's capable of kicking my sorry a$$ routinely.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Something to keep in mind regarding the AI.

In many of my scenarios that I scripted, the Side B (Viet Cong, Viet Minh, NVA) is scripted.

It is scripted usually that each company will be given a die roll to choose a plan of attack, defence, etc. These options are based on what I would do (one option usually includes what happened historically) if I was playing that side.

So, in essence, you're playing against me when you play against the scripted side.

Jason Petho
berto

Post by berto »

The S[cripted]AI and E[ngine]AI are still under development, the former actively so. You can anticipate a steady stream of SAI (and EAI) updates and improvements in the months and years ahead.

As a bonus, the SAI is entirely open (not so the EAI), so you are invited to learn to Lua script the SAI and attempt to better and even "perfect" (ha!) the game's AI, if modding is your thing.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
berto

Post by berto »

Jason Petho wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:24 pm We have spent years developing the AI and it's capabilities. The primary purpose was that was due to our surveys finding that 95% of our customers will eventually play against the AI.
From our own surveys (email surveys, not just forum surveys, with well over a hundred respondents), we know that 75+% of the CS player base plays the AI exclusively, or nearly so. No more than 25% ever plays PBEM, only a fraction of that exclusively. (This matches results from another company's surveys that I am privy to.)

Hence our keen focus on improving the AI.
Last edited by berto on Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
bruce205

Post by bruce205 »

The AI is very very good and doubly so since I'm very very bad :P
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

bruce205 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:49 pm The AI is very very good and doubly so since I'm very very bad :P
Hahaha... Keep trying and practicing!! You'll get better!
bruce205

Post by bruce205 »

Real life makes it hard sometimes :D
rsanchez545

Post by rsanchez545 »

I am blown away by the responses. Thank you guys. Will buy this game soon.

As an aside, any plans for Steam release? If not, np! :)
bruce205

Post by bruce205 »

Get it rsanchez. Its totally worth it !!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

rsanchez545 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:47 pm As an aside, any plans for Steam release? If not, np! :)
We are hoping for a steam release, but that is up to Matrix/Slitherine if they think our game is worthy enough. *shrugs*
rsanchez545

Post by rsanchez545 »

Jason Petho wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:29 am
rsanchez545 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:47 pm As an aside, any plans for Steam release? If not, np! :)
We are hoping for a steam release, but that is up to Matrix/Slitherine if they think our game is worthy enough. *shrugs*
That's not a show stopper for me. I'm really excited at the game and upcoming games you guys are working on <3. As a programmer, You guys have my dream job :)
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Good to hear! Thank you for your support!

As Berto mentioned, the Scripted AI is completely open. Since you have programmer skills, learn Lua and you can script scenarios too! The only thing you're limited by is imagination and time, really!

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”