Combat Animations

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

hossjww30

Combat Animations

Post by hossjww30 »

Why were the animations deleted? That was the best part of the game.
Joel Billings

Re: Combat Animations

Post by Joel Billings »

We got the feeling that most people turned off the animations pretty quickly once they were into a game. Also, IIRC, some of the added features in AWD compared to the precursor WAW would have forced us to take some time to add to the animations. For those reasons, we didn't think it worth trying to keep the animations.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

hossjww30 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:16 pm Why were the animations deleted? That was the best part of the game.
Those were removed many years ago when the original World At War was replaced by A World Divided, not just for this update. At the same time, many improvements were added in!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
hossjww30

Post by hossjww30 »

Well I could see having the option to turn them off but myself and my kids no longer enjoy the game without them.
Roger5

Post by Roger5 »

hossjww30 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:55 pm Well I could see having the option to turn them off but myself and my kids no longer enjoy the game without them.

https://www.old-games.com/download/9578 ... s-world-at

https://www.old-games.com/screenshot/95 ... rld-at.jpg
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Nice link thanks. Didn't know about it. I remember another old abandonware site but can't remember its name anymore.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
sisyo

Post by sisyo »

Wow, surprised to see there was still some support - great result
even more surprised to see Lebatron back on the case. you have done some great work mate

with this new 1.058 download, do we know if this builds on the back of all the previous Lebatron patches (as in this follows the 1.05 that was already released) or is this a OEM patch to the 1.04 that they released.

sorry if i didn’t make sense - I’m not a regular

thanks again
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Roger5 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:46 am
hossjww30 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:55 pm Well I could see having the option to turn them off but myself and my kids no longer enjoy the game without them.

https://www.old-games.com/download/9578 ... s-world-at

https://www.old-games.com/screenshot/95 ... rld-at.jpg
Hmmm. There's not exactly a rousing endorsement of the old combat animation routine posted in there.
In a brave/foolish attempt to add some visual pizzazz to the engrossing map-based maneuvering, scraps are illustrated with a 2D animation showing stationary, inconsistently scaled units trading fire on boring bare battlefields. After sitting through a few of these dull displays you'll probably be reaching for the 'skip animations' option and wondering whether the 2 by 3 artists wouldn't have been more profitably employed creating unit icons that altered to reflect technological upgrades and the march of time
I guess some did enjoy it back then. I switched it off after a few viewings.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Yeah after a little while I turned the animations off in the first edition. This is pretty much the case in a lot of games I play anyway. In one of my most recent favs, a board game to computer translation called ROOT, I turned off combat animations after a short while for the sake of brevity.
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I'm sure it's far too late for this. But it's too bad the combat animation routine used in Gary Grigsby's War Between the States couldn't be implemented. In that game, units in combat traded blows, just not on a cheesy battlefield graphic. You got to see how your units were faring one by one before getting the final results.

GGWBTS Combat Animation.jpg
GGWBTS Combat Animation.jpg (350.75 KiB) Viewed 108 times
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Funny you should mention this example. Back when this game was being worked on, I recall Joel Billings expressing he wished that form of doing combat was thought of during AWDs development.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”