Quick Questions Thread

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

gw15

Re: Quick Questions Thread

Post by gw15 »

In the Unit Supply Detail window the last line has "no manpower" and sometimes it shows 0 but on other units it has a number there that can be 20...100.
What does that mean?
gw15

Post by gw15 »

In the Unit Supply Detail window the last line has "no manpower" and sometimes it shows 0 but on other units it has a number there that can be 20...100.
What does that mean?
FortTell

Post by FortTell »

gw15 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:55 pm In the Unit Supply Detail window the last line has "no manpower" and sometimes it shows 0 but on other units it has a number there that can be 20...100.
What does that mean?
It means the unit tried to get reinforcements but the manpower pool ran out sometime during the logistics phase, bigger number means later in the phase, I think?
Wiedrock

Post by Wiedrock »

gw15 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:55 pm In the Unit Supply Detail window the last line has "no manpower" and sometimes it shows 0 but on other units it has a number there that can be 20...100.
What does that mean?
Living Manual 1.18 p.724f wrote: No freight, No trucks, No fuel, No supply, No manpower
The first time a unit does not receive freight due to one of these reasons, a number is placed next to the item.
The number is the supply sub-segment in which the lack of the item first occurred. For example, if in a sub-segment where the unit must have less than 30 percent of the needed item, the unit does not get anything because there was a lack of freight at available depots, then a 30 will be displayed next to ‘no freight’.
The no trucks message can also be received if the unit was trying to requisition vehicles but there were no trucks available in the pool to go to the unit.
Note there is a chance that the no trucks message may be misleadingly given when vehicles are not required for a delivery as this process only checks to see if there are vehicles in the pool and not whether they were needed at the point of a failure to deliver.
“Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics.”
Teo41_ITA

Post by Teo41_ITA »

Two questions about holding fortresses:
1) Which units are best suited for holding a fortress? Infantry divisions only? Infantry divisions and artillery battalions? HQs?

2) What happens to the units when a fortress is destroyed? Do they rout or do they surrender?

Thanks!
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Teo41_ITA wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:00 am Two questions about holding fortresses:
1) Which units are best suited for holding a fortress? Infantry divisions only? Infantry divisions and artillery battalions? HQs?

2) What happens to the units when a fortress is destroyed? Do they rout or do they surrender?

Thanks!
It depends on the terrain in the hex. If it's urban, than infantry will get good CV bonuses, and the fighting will generally be at closer range, which is good for infantry. If it's a port in a city or rough then there are still some bonuses for infantry. If a clear hex with a port, than there is no bonus for the infantry.

If the units are forced to retreat, I think they will retreat out of the city fort if there is a path to retreat to. If no path, and the units are isolated, they will surrender. If they are not isolated, they will rout, just like any unit that has no retreat path.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

aMaschina wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:44 pm August 1942, just took moscow but left with some questions

Do national supply sources still produce supply even though they are surrounded/pocketed? It didnt look like the fortress moscow was running low after weeks of constant fighting
Once a NSS depot is cut off so it can't connect with at least one other NSS, then it will cease to be an NSS. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual somewhere. You can move next to the NSS which has one impact, and you can cut it off, which as a bigger impact. In both cases I think the NSS will have the freight their reduced, but there's still a bunch there which will last for a while. If it's cut off, then the units will be isolated if they can't trace to a working NSS. That causes a major impact, although it can be mitigated by sufficient air transport flights into the pocket.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
malyhin1517

Post by malyhin1517 »

Teo41_ITA wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:00 am Two questions about holding fortresses:

Thanks!
1. It is best to defend cities with infantry.
2. If the city is surrounded, then all units will be destroyed, including headquarters and all support units. If the city is not surrounded, then the units retreat.
Sorry, i use an online translator :(
aMaschina

Post by aMaschina »

When reviewing a combat:

Is there a way to tell which tank killed which tank or does it only say this kind of tank scored thise HE / AP hits and killed this many infantry?
Teo41_ITA

Post by Teo41_ITA »

Why there are some elements with a green number in the CU TOE screen?
Attachments
elements.png
elements.png (49.45 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Veterin

Post by Veterin »

Teo41_ITA wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:37 pm Why there are some elements with a green number in the CU TOE screen?
I could be wrong but my understanding is when a substitute ground element is used instead of the proper TOE. It’s in the same category (ie medium tank), but there’s a shortage of the specific tank so another medium tank fills the role
pookiebear

Post by pookiebear »

Guys i dont understand is ...ive noticed that if u just move back and forth 1 hex in pending hexes
eventually the mp COST goes up (maybe something to do with fatigue but couldnt find it)
so from 1-1-1-1 eventually itl cost 2-2-2-2
in rear area this doesnt happen

anyone knows?
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

Could you post a screenshot of this? I am unsure what you are referring to.
pookiebear

Post by pookiebear »

Jango32 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 am Could you post a screenshot of this? I am unsure what you are referring to.
https://i.ibb.co/xsJVDw6/hex-3.png

here u see it cost 1 mp for this move

https://i.ibb.co/Y7L6M4r/hex-4.png

then after i just moved it back and forth its more fatigued i guess? and now it cost 2 for the same move

this is turn 1 btw..maybe some rule ?
Jango32

Post by Jango32 »

On turn 1 there are special MP reduction rules for movement above Kovel. As a rule of thumb, with infantry units you'll get reduced MP costs until there's like 8 MPs left if they have attacked at any point. 31st infantry division has likely got its morale increased to 80 or above, so average road quality hexes now take 2 MPs instead of 3 to enter.

With these two taken into account, the costs are correct for 31st ID.
pookiebear

Post by pookiebear »

Jango32 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:55 am On turn 1 there are special MP reduction rules for movement above Kovel. As a rule of thumb, with infantry units you'll get reduced MP costs until there's like 8 MPs left if they have attacked at any point. 31st infantry division has likely got its morale increased to 80 or above, so average road quality hexes now take 2 MPs instead of 3 to enter.

With these two taken into account, the costs are correct for 31st ID.
TNX!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”