atmosphere always insidious

Moderator: Vic

bvoid

atmosphere always insidious

Post by bvoid »

As subject, even when generating a nice 1000mbar atmos with 78% N2, 21%O2, 0.3% CO2 and trace other harmless stuff - atmos will show insidious rather than breathable.

The table from the manual does not seem to be really used:
Level Description
0 Perfect atmosphere for humans.
1 Imperfect. Filters needed to breathe.
2 Insufficient. Envirosuit advised. Filters probably won’t cut it.
3 Toxic. Envirosuit necessary.
4 Insidious. Instant death without Envirosuit.

For farming this doesn't matter as another indicator is used, which seems to work fine. Farming should actually get a BOOST if the planet has higher CO2 and temperatures.

In any case, the atmosphere being breathable or not doesn't seem to make any difference for gameplay purposes does it? Troops always have envirosuits it seems. I suggest that troops should get a supply bonus if no envirosuit is needed.

Finally, insidious is not the correct word to use here. It denotes a more subtle effect - not instant death. I suggest changing insidious -> lethal, and toxic -> insidious.

P.S. Above applies to all versions released so far, have not noticed any changes in this area.
Vic

RE: atmosphere always insidious

Post by Vic »

You should never get a Insidious Atmos Planet for example when rolling a Siwa Class Planet.

Can you give a full breakdown example of all gasses... There might be trace gasses?

Your right on the nomenclatura however.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
bvoid

Post by bvoid »

I just did a test, and I can only get a breathable atmos using Siwa when it says "earth-comparable" in previous step.

For any other type of planet (I mostly use unclassified or medusa) - the atmosphere is always "insidious" even if the gas mix should be nice.

Is there a way to find planet info for current game? I can only check by generating new planets. Can't find info from current one.
Soar_Slitherine

Post by Soar_Slitherine »

Check under Reports -> Help.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: bvoid

I just did a test, and I can only get a breathable atmos using Siwa when it says "earth-comparable" in previous step.

For any other type of planet (I mostly use unclassified or medusa) - the atmosphere is always "insidious" even if the gas mix should be nice.

Is there a way to find planet info for current game? I can only check by generating new planets. Can't find info from current one.
Life can be actually detrimental to breathing. Especially on Medusa.
There may be spores, pollen or gasses in the air near the ground - produced by the plants - that are highly detrimental to human breathing.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
Saros

Post by Saros »

It's perfectly possible to get breatheable atmo from all sorts of planets, my favorite is rolling up a N2/AR + H/HE + CO2 atmo on an unclassified planet and then using the terran plants at colonisation to make it perfectly breathable.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Saros

It's perfectly possible to get breatheable atmo from all sorts of planets, my favorite is rolling up a N2/AR + H/HE + CO2 atmo on an unclassified planet and then using the terran plants at colonisation to make it perfectly breathable.
The formula of a O2 Atmosphere:
CO2+Plants or algae that do Photosyntehsis.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
bvoid

Post by bvoid »

Yes it occurred to me that xenomicrobiology might make the air toxic, but it always just says 'insidious'. Never get imperfect or toxic.

Thanks Soar, now I can see my current planet info:
77.3% N2
21.39% O2
0.57% CO2
0.27% Ag
0.17% Ne
0.094% So2
0.09% Xe
0.075% NH3
0.017% CH4
0.015% NOx

I would guess this would smell pretty bad, but be fine to breathe. This is on a medusa world teaming with horrific life - but the air itself isn't that bad.

Respiratory Hazard: Level 4, Insidious, death without suit
Bio Hazard: Level 4, extreme, death without suit
Oxygen scarcity: Level 0,

Also noticed some other inconsistencies:
Terran Agri. Atmos Toxicity: Level 0, None, perfect for terran plants
Farming method advised: domed farming

I have seen other worlds with good atmos but no life, and they also showed as insidious.

zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Actually, I realized: Inisidious needs a Environmental suit. So it is more then just a breathing hazard. It is a hazard even with skin contact.
Chemically it is relativey easy to get stuff through the skin barrier. Indeed, we are using it in Nikotine patches and other drug delivery systems.
It has some requirements (the drug must be small enough), but there are plenty of ways a plant may try to kill us.
DW2 Poll:

Return to “Tech Support”