COTA - Sometimes things do go according to plan!

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

MarkShot

COTA - Sometimes things do go according to plan!

Post by MarkShot »

Don't you just love it when things actually do go according to plan?

Here you see a small portion of a larger battle (another fighting withdrawal for the Allies). Now, there are numerous potential locations on the map to hold or delay the Germans. But I decided to put my very scant resources into this one piece of real estate. After this bridge, the road network branches out leaving the Germans with options and me with dilemmas. (Further complicated by the fact that I am largely on foot and they are in tanks and trucks.)

So, I took whatever I had and threw it into the pot and bet everything on this one hand. You see all my ATG platoons and engineering companies dug-in to deny this one bridge to the enemy. I even willing sacrificed one infantry company by having them deploy to the far bank as a picket line so that my arty could hit the Germans as they advanced on the bridge.

Well, we repelled a strong attack in the afternoon. So then, they tried to sneak their way across at night.

BOOM! (scratch one heavy road bridge)

I just won this hand! This is going to delay them for quite a while. In the meantime, my infantry Bde will have the time they need to march South and withdraw to fight another day.

Attachments
plan.jpg
plan.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 1 time
(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Fred98

RE: COTA - Sometimes things do go according to plan!

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
one infantry company by having them deploy to the far bank as a picket line so that my arty could hit the Germans as they advanced

Not sure of the connection between ther 2 activities - but I love it when a plan comes together!

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Joe,

Before you can hit the enemy with arty someone has to see the enemy.

Sometimes, you can engineer that with a unit on the high ground with a good field of view. However, if the high ground offers no cover, then they will be quite exposed. Once they themselves are spotted its going to be a tough position to hold.

Another option is to push a unit out ahead of your main line of resistance. This also gives you eyes on the enemy earlier than before you are in full contact with them. In this case, the spotting unit was able to dig-in in good cover; they managed to hold their position quite well. (I didn't really have any elevated positions over looking the engagement area.)

Another reason for my chosen approach is that elevated positions work well for calling in arty during day light. However, at night, they often fail to see anything. On the other hand, at night, a unit deployed forward and close to the enemy's line of march will be much more likely to make a contact report.

I hope that clears the confusion about my statement.
(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Ah, let me just add a little more to this.

Observe ATG platoon "33.7" to the East. They actually have a position which gave decent LOS over the German line of march for quite a few kilometers during daylight hours. However, they were easily spotted by the enemy and very heavily pounded by his arty. Thus, they were forced back quite a few times as compared to infantry company "B.25" to the North which held their ground.
(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Markshot,

After your beta testing do you still find the scenario's challenging? I always do in HttR but I doubt I've played as much as you have.

You certainly sound like you still enjoy playing (you have a contagious enthusiasm!) even after all the beta testing. Thanks for sharing your games with us [:)]
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

You're welcome. I just wish Dave would finish COTA already so that there would be someone else to discuss the game with beyond the handful of PG beta testers!

I do love this engine. It just keeps getting better.

These days, the truth is that I win a lot more often than I lose while testing. However, I still find the battles quite enjoyable, since it is not a matter of just having figured out how the AI behaves. Rather I win, because I have correctly analyzed the situation and developed an effective solution for the problem put before me.

I always play with order delays maxed out and otherwise take the default options. However, I am sure if I set reinforcements and supply options against me (and possibly weather too) that things would be extremely hard.

It's only taken me four years to get to this point. When I started playing, I couldn't win even replaying the same scenario over and over again.
(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I feel your frustration! [:D]

Thanks for an honest answer. I'm really impressed with the HttR AI but, as you can't alter the starting positions, if you play the scenario enough times I guess you'll learn how to win. (However good the AI is)

Imagine a game based on the HttR/CotA engine which allows you to create random battles (like SPWaW).

I understand why Dave wouldn't be keen on this but, if it were restricted to the current games oob, it would really be a pulling point for buyers and still allow him to release add on/sequels that would enhance the game and keep people buying.

Either way, I can't wait for CotA.. I'm looking forward to being able to chat with you about the game after it's realeased! [:)]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Banquet,

Actually in the ScenMaker you can specify multiple reinforcement schedules with the same force having a different location. By having all forces arrive as reinforcements you can therefore get multiple variations. We use this in a number of HTTR scenarios, including the Battle of the Bases scenarios for the different maps.

Creating a scenario generator, would be a BIG new feature. I'll add it to the wish list but no promises for when it will get a guernsey.

TT2758 - SM - UI - Scenario Generator - to generate random scenarios
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
zumHeuriger

Post by zumHeuriger »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Creating a scenario generator, would be a BIG new feature. I'll add it to the wish list but no promises for when it will get a guernsey.

So a future game in the series will feature bovine units in a scenario generator?
"Laughter, the best medicine"
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Banquet,

Actually in the ScenMaker you can specify multiple reinforcement schedules with the same force having a different location. By having all forces arrive as reinforcements you can therefore get multiple variations. We use this in a number of HTTR scenarios, including the Battle of the Bases scenarios for the different maps.

I understand it would be a big new feature.. and a lot of work. Certainly if it could be incorporated in a future release that would be fantastic! I love the aspect of SPWaW where you can choose what side you want to play, choose how many 'points' are available and then pick your units and have the AI pick a similar sized force and deploy them.

Obviously SPWaW has a huge database but this series is pretty good too. And being able to do something similar in a future game would really extend the longevity of the games.

For the moment I'm sure I'll be more than happy with CotA [:)]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: zumHeuriger
So a future game in the series will feature bovine units in a scenario generator?
Strange as it might sound the term "guernsey" is also used here as the name for a shirt worn by footballers. Hence to get a guersey means to be picked/selected to play for the team. The wonders of the english language.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
James Sterrett

Post by James Sterrett »

ORIGINAL: zumHeuriger

TT3953i - SM - DB - Battle Cattle - add model for bovine combat units

[;)]
Real and Simulated Wars

Post by Real and Simulated Wars »

LOL
The Greek Shorthorns' speed is under-modelled! We need a patch!

Oh well, I will just go back to waiting mood.

Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Chelco

Oh well, I will just go back to waiting mood.

Added to the wishlist;

TT3954 - SM - Misc - Release game

[:D]
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

[:D]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
TheJoat

Post by TheJoat »

Once this is "gold", will it be available for immediate download?

Any sort of email notification for this event? I don't get over here all that often, and I'd sure hate to miss a day of playing. [:D]
Bruce
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Just give Dave your home address and he'll set up a TRP right on your home office for an instant barrage when it gets released. :)
(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: TheJoat

Once this is "gold", will it be available for immediate download?

Any sort of email notification for this event? I don't get over here all that often, and I'd sure hate to miss a day of playing. [:D]

I've just added you to my "spam" list of people/websites to "inform" :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Real and Simulated Wars

Post by Real and Simulated Wars »

So seriously guys, correct me if I'm wrong: "there is only one bug to be removed (the sync stuff in multiplayer), all other things are a go"?

JeF

Post by JeF »

At the risk of repeating myself, I like to remind people that :
  • "Any non-trivial program has at least one bug."
  • "There may be an infinite number of unknown bugs."

[;)]

Hopefully it won't take long...

JeF.
Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”