Great Article for Pacific War fans

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

Great Article for Pacific War fans

Post by KG Erwin »

"Doc" Flowers gives a vivid example of what it was like for the Marines facing a banzai assault. This is a SPWaW moment brought to life. Thanks, Doc. [&o]

You can read it here: http://www.ww2gyrene.org/experience_5.htm
Siggy

RE: Great Article for Pacific War fans

Post by Siggy »

Awesome. I admire the bravery of the man. He did not break in face of this terrible attack. [&o]
AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

Just reading about it scares the hell out of me. Great article. Thank you.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

The atavistic fury of the Pacific Theater puts off some gamers -- some may prefer to maneuver their fleets of tanks in the wide-open desert or the plains of Southern Russia. There's nothing wrong with that. The Pacific War was a throwback to almost primeval tribal warfare -- no mercy was given. Why does it appeal to me? Let me explain it this way. I'm by nature a pacifist, BUT, when my home is threatened, I'll respond with every means at my disposal. The Pacific War was like that. After Pearl Harbor, the US Marines were flooded by volunteers eager to extract revenge. Had I lived back then, I would've been in line.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

The Pacific is mis-represented in the minds of many. There are all sorts of battles in the Pacific in WW2, and a host of nations to choose from.

In reality, it is no different from the East Front or the West Front, Italy or North Africa.

WW2 and any war is largely an infantry fight. All the other aspects, armor, artillery, air, Navy, are subservient to the main driving force in war, the infantryman.

And SP, any version, portrays that on a tactical level, better than any game I know, even today.

Currently we are swamped with First Person Shooter games. They are fun, but I prefer a game where I become a low-level commander (platoon-company) and make choices with my single tanks and infantry squads to win the smaller battle.

I've played the bigger ones. I've designed battles for them. I've done the entire battle of Tet (Nam-68) and the entire 1991 offensive, Desert Storm, massive battles, just to mention a few.

They are great. But for overall low-level intensity, this game can't be beat!

And the Pacific offers a myriad of experiences equal to or superior to any other front.

I like 'em all. but the Pacific is my favorite, invasions, infiltration, charges (from both sides), defense, attack, rescue, search and kill, its got them all.

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”