"Historical" map for le Maoir de la Fiere

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Magua

"Historical" map for le Maoir de la Fiere

Post by Magua »

Here's a sneak peak at a portion of my le Manoir la Fiere map. East (and Ste Mere Eglise) is up. Cauquigny Church is off the bottom.

All buildings in the complex are stone, but only the Manor and the Barn are two stories. So I'm using color to differentiate one from two storied structures.

I put "historical" in quotes because it is only as historically accurate as I have so far been able to make it. I've used sketches from S.L.A. Marshall's book, Night Drop, an aerial photo and other photos I've been able to find on the web, but my sources are not complete. Still, for the sake of BoH, I think this is pretty close.

Anyway, I hope to post the map this weekend with instructions as to how to use it in the existing scenario. Don't get me wrong. I've played and like the scenario that came with the game just fine. I just like historical maps.

All comments are welcome.

crabe tambour

RE: "Historical" map for le Maoir de la Fiere

Post by crabe tambour »

Wow.... It's great. [&o]
Is there a +1 PM or something for the barrier on the right?
Magua

Post by Magua »

Wow Crabbe you have a sharp eye. If you're talking about the line that runs along the field, yes, that is supposed to be a fence, and it will cost +1 movement to cross it.

Thanks for the compliment. Have you ever been there?
benpark

Post by benpark »

Amazing map!

I agree, historical maps are always more interesting.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
crabe tambour

Post by crabe tambour »

Have you ever been there?

Nope. And now you ask, I wonder why. I will go there next time i go in Normandy (soon)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Very nice work, Magua.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

Wow...EXCELLENT work!

RedMike OUT
Hannibal ad portas
WO1GKW

Post by WO1GKW »

Magua - great job. Hey the Brecourt scenario is pretty good and of course that map is awsome. There might be a future for you in this!
Magua

Post by Magua »

ORIGINAL: WO1GKW

Magua - great job. Hey the Brecourt scenario is pretty good and of course that map is awsome. There might be a future for you in this!

Hey WO-

Keep an eye out for the revised Brecourt files. You should see them within a day or two. The map is revised a little, but there are new leader counters, Scenario Card, and the Quick Reference card has some additional info. The scenario actually works now [;)]

To everyone, thanks. I enjoy doing it.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Hey - looks cool.
WO1GKW

Post by WO1GKW »

What was wrong that caused it not to work? I thought it worked fine. The map can't possibly get any better.
Magua

Post by Magua »

ORIGINAL: WO1GKW

What was wrong that caused it not to work? I thought it worked fine. The map can't possibly get any better.

Thanks WO-

The balance wasn't right. I changed the three MG-42s on tripods to bipods. They were just too deadly, and I gave Winters the Decisive skill card, which I always intended but forgot. I think it plays much better now. But if you like the original, by all means stick with it. In fact, I'd really like to hear how v1 and v2 compare.

The latest version of the map is higher resolution, and you'll see that I tweaked some of the graphics, such as the crops and the grass. Aside from cosmetic issues, the map layout is nearly identical. So if you prefer the original map, you can use it without any change in play. Also, there are new leader counters.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

The balance wasn't right. I changed the three MG-42s on tripods to bipods.

Awesome work, Tom. If I wasn't kneck deep in putting together the downloadavble LnL demo, I would have played through it by now. You might, however, have a slight bi-pod/tripod missunderstanding. You can flip from one to the other in any rally phase. So unless you include a SSR prohibiting the gamer from doing so, they will.

If you want 2 fp machine guns, just make them MG34s. Yes?

Best,

Mark
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

would have played through it by now.
Huh? How? Is it available somewhere? Am I blind?
Magua

Post by Magua »

ORIGINAL: markhwalker
The balance wasn't right. I changed the three MG-42s on tripods to bipods.

Awesome work, Tom. If I wasn't kneck deep in putting together the downloadavble LnL demo, I would have played through it by now. You might, however, have a slight bi-pod/tripod missunderstanding. You can flip from one to the other in any rally phase. So unless you include a SSR prohibiting the gamer from doing so, they will.

If you want 2 fp machine guns, just make them MG34s. Yes?

Best,

Mark

Ah. Good point. I should specify this in the rules, or as you say use the MG-34s. And muchas gracias.
Magua

Post by Magua »

ORIGINAL: Hannes

would have played through it by now.
Huh? How? Is it available somewhere? Am I blind?

Go to the first post in the Brecourt Manor v2 thread, and click on the link. It will take you to Cherpie's download site where you can get the files. I understand that they will also be posted in the Member's section here too.
mbtanker

Post by mbtanker »

OUTSTANDING!!!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

They should be up in the Members' Club later today.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Thanks, Eric.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Cherper

Post by Cherper »

The map looks great... the road leading to Ste Mere Eglise should be gong up hill. The Manor is much higher than the barn as it is uphill from the barn.. The field to the west is where the Iron Mike memorial is, and it is on the side of the hill. I will see if I can dig out any good photos from my trip last May.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”