Battlefields! Official Scenarios

Combined Arms: World War II is a turn-based battalion level simultaneous execution operational level game in development by Ludovic Coval and Erik Rutins.
It includes a complete scenario editor and is set at a 1km per hex / 8 hours per turn scale.
combatengineer

Post by combatengineer »

Eric,

The scenario list is very refreshing, not the usual run of the mill. Looks more like a collection of user made scenario's. Matrix is to be commended. User's will quickly fill the gap of the 'regular' scenario's for those who wish to play them. Thanks for going for the 'different' approach.

John
Jane Doe

RE:

Post by Jane Doe »

which one is the biggest or the shortest scenario amongst those scenarios and what's the number of turns for them?
Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"
Ozie

RE:

Post by Ozie »

ORIGINAL: grosbil

My WWII culture is so poor,
Erik,

But, what about Tali-Hantala, Khalkin-Gol

Tali-Ihantala is the summer 44 defence of Finnish forces in Karelian Isthmus agains the Soviet assault. The decising battles were fought over cross roads near villages of Tali and Ihantala.

Khalkin-Gol is Soviet action against the Japanese (IIRC in 1939) This was the first(but not last) great victory of Soviet general Zukhov.
IronDuke_slith

RE: RE:

Post by IronDuke_slith »

I love that there are Finnish scenarios in this. I'm curious about the "Hell on Ice" scenario, is this a larger scenario? Anyhow, these look great.

Soviet offensive operation over the Gulf of Viipuri during the final weeks of the Winter War 1939-40.
But, what about Belyi, Tali-Hantala, Perekop, Trappenjagd, Hell on Ice, Berdichev, Berezina, Dubno, Khalkin-Gol and Kiev ? What is the difference between Hell's Higway and Market Garden?

Belyi is set during Operation Mars, a major Soviet offensive during 1942 (sometimes referred to as Zhukov's greatest defeat).

I think Perekop is the gateway to the Crimea.

Tali-Hantala is set during the July 1944 Soviet offenive into Finland.

Trappenjagd is set in the Crimea. A major victory for Erich Von Manstein in 1942.

Hell on ice is from the final weeks of the Winter war in 1939-40.

Berditchev is set in the first days of Operation Barbarossa.

Kiev is part of the fighting on the western bank of the Dnieper before Kiev in 1941.

Dubno is a real monster recreating the major Russian attack on Army Group South's Panzer Group in June 1941.

Berezina is set in July 1941 in Army Group Centre's theatre of operations.

Hells Highway concerns just the XXX Corp advance to Eindhoven, whilst Market Garden is the whole thing from XXX Corp jump off points to north of Arnhem.
which one is the biggest or the shortest scenario amongst those scenarios and what's the number of turns for them?

Dubno is the biggest in terms of size, this is the entire battle. Okinawa is the longest.

Regards,
IronDuke
Bart_Breedyk

Post by Bart_Breedyk »

Nothing in Sicily/Italy hmmmm? Time to purchase some research material!

That is, assuming Battlefields is due out shortly (hint, hint[;)])
Game slut
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

There have been a few additions to the scenario list, some in the Sicily/Italy area. I'll post an updated list this week along with a poll. We are trying to decide between several additional possible scenarios for this release and we just can't make up our minds. We'll put it in your hands which one of the bunch gets the green light. [8D]

Look for that around Wednesday.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There have been a few additions to the scenario list, some in the Sicily/Italy area. I'll post an updated list this week along with a poll. We are trying to decide between several additional possible scenarios for this release and we just can't make up our minds. We'll put it in your hands which one of the bunch gets the green light. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

If you include a few from Italy, I hope that does not prevent a full expansion set for that theater. I am hoping that after the game is released, that there will be full scenario/campaign cds/purchasable downloads for Italy, North Africa, Overlord and Operation Cobra, The pacific theater, etc.

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, but....
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
Guerrero

RE: Battlefields! Official Scenarios

Post by Guerrero »

I noticed that of all the official scenarios there are none depicting the latter part of the Soviet-German War, i.e. 1943-1945. Any particular reason for that?

Regards,
Greg
JJKettunen

Post by JJKettunen »

ORIGINAL: Guerrero

I noticed that of all the official scenarios there are none depicting the latter part of the Soviet-German War, i.e. 1943-1945. Any particular reason for that?

Regards,
Greg

Because the scenario designers really hate Soviet operational art?

[:'(][;)]
Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Keke

Oh, indubitably. [;)]

Greg, it just turned out that way, several designers had some excellent early war East Front research and we went with it. With a full scenario editor and scenario expansions planned, I'm sure there will be plenty of later war scenarios after release. With that said, some of these early scenarios are very challenging for the German side!

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Guerrero

Post by Guerrero »

ORIGINAL: Keke

[:'(][;)]

Long live Suomi? [;)]

Seriously, glad to see BF! is coming along. Don't worry, Erik, I will likely design a few scenarios after the game goes gold - to highlight the development of Soviet operational art [:)] August Storm would be a neat one even.

Regards,
Greg
Deathtreader

RE: RE: Official Scenarios

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

Regards,

- Erik

The forum has been pretty quiet lately, so just for discussion's sake.............. is there an updated list of scenarios??

Rob. [>:]
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Trigger Happy

RE: RE: Official Scenarios

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yeah, how about an updated list? There's at least 2 to add, Salerno and Epsom.
hank

Post by hank »

This is an empressive list. But some of the names don't do much to describe the battle. "market garden" is obvious but some like "hell on ice" aren't. (Is "hell on Ice" Korsun Pocket, or the ardennes offensive, or ?). Can someone provide a little more detail to those that don't specifically name the battle?

Plus, I haven't seen a recent update as to when this wonderful strategy game is going to be released. IS there an official release date now for "Combined Armes"? I'm holding up my spending for this game but the urge to buy is burning a hole in my pant pocket.

hank

After many inquiries, ... [snippet]
Without further ado, the official scenario list (sorted by designer name and scenario name)...

Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Krasnograd
Harrizabalagater, Iñaki - Supercharge
Kettunen, Jyri - Belyi
Kettunen, Jyri - Okinawa
Kettunen, Jyri - Tali-hantala
Marshall, Trey - Fortress Holland
Marshall, Trey - Hell's Highway
Marshall, Trey - Market Garden
McBride, Daniel - Gazala
McBride, Daniel - Perekop
McBride, Daniel - Trappenjagd
McBride, Daniel - Voronezh
Mutanen, Ilkka - Hell on Ice
Mutanen, Ilkka - Nurmijärvi/Tutorial
Mutanen, Ilkka - Tolvajärvi
Voylov, Pavel - Berdichev
Voylov, Pavel - Berezina
Voylov, Pavel - Dubno
Voylov, Pavel - Khalkhin-Gol
Voylov, Pavel - Kiev

Best Regards,

- Erik
cabron66

Post by cabron66 »

Trappenjagd is set in the Crimea. A major victory for Erich Von Manstein in 1942.

Regards,
IronDuke

What was this one? The name doesn't ring any bells at all, even with the clues.

Cheers

Paul
Someone take my wife, please?
hank

Post by hank »

ORIGINAL: cabron66

Regards,
IronDuke

What was this one? The name doesn't ring any bells at all, even with the clues.

Cheers

Paul

excellent! I prefer the eastern front personally. Its marginal because there were some great battle on both fronts but I like vast open terrain in the eastern front. Is Hell on Ice set on russian front? ... winter 1941/2? ... relief efforts for Stalingrad .. winter '42?

How about an update on release ... just a ballpark guess ?

just curious

hank
zumHeuriger

RE: RE: Trappenjagd - "Bustard Hunt"

Post by zumHeuriger »

This was the operation that cleared the eastern hald of Crimea, and captured Kerch, prior to the capture of Sevastapol. May 1942 - 150,000+ prisoners and lots of equipment.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=75 has a decription neat the bottom of the article.

Cheers

Tom
"Laughter, the best medicine"
cabron66

Post by cabron66 »

Interesting. Some really nasty terrain to deal with. A few key crossroads and ports and not much else. Wasn't there a Soviet amphibious landing around those parts? I seem to remember the Germans having to deal with something of the sort before they moved on Sevastopol.

Cheers

Paul
Someone take my wife, please?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Any Italian scenarios?

How about Cassino and the Liri valley?
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

Wodin,
You are in luck.

Geozero recently sent me a map of the area of the Cassino line. We plan to do the fourth battle, and just possibly the Anzio area as well, maybe even in one giant scenario. It's next on my to do list when I have worked out all the reinforcement hexes for Sedan 40.

Regards,
IronDuke

Return to “Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)”