Comments thread for MPBEM AAR

Combined Arms: World War II is a turn-based battalion level simultaneous execution operational level game in development by Ludovic Coval and Erik Rutins.
It includes a complete scenario editor and is set at a 1km per hex / 8 hours per turn scale.
Cap Mandrake

Comments thread for MPBEM AAR

Post by Cap Mandrake »

As per zumHeruiger's suggestion, this thread is a mirror for the MPBEM AAR. Please post comments here instead of th AAR thread if you wish. Thanks. Pie throwing and questions are welcome but no concealed weapons [;)]

The parallel thread
http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp? ... om/forums/
cabron66

RE: Comments thread for MPBEM AAR

Post by cabron66 »

Hey guys,

Just had a few questions concerning the attack planning screen:

1. Adding and removing key units, I assume, is a way of differentiating between key units and supporting units? Would key units then be far more likely to suffer losses?

2. Hitting the query air or query naval button will give you a list of available units or will only request air or naval support?

3. Feels like I should know this, but what is the difference between the dedicated and barrage buttons?

Looks great. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Cheers

Paul
Someone take my wife, please?
Ludovic Coval

Post by Ludovic Coval »

cabron66,
1. Adding and removing key units, I assume, is a way of differentiating between key units and supporting units? Would key units then be far more likely to suffer losses?

As CA use a wego system unit may arrive to combat hex at different time, key units are those who must be waited before combat begin. For example, if an infantry and an armored bn occpuying the same hex attack together, armor will reach attack hex before infantry unit (due to its greater speed). By designating infantry unit as key, attack will start only when it arrive. The drawback is that if the unit is prevented to reach its destination, the attack is never executed.
2. Hitting the query air or query naval button will give you a list of available units or will only request air or naval support?

Altough air/naval assets are not represented by units (i.e counters) request can be made for specific assets (each having specifics combat values as set by designer).
3. Feels like I should know this, but what is the difference between the dedicated and barrage buttons?

Dedicated is pre-planned artillery support during combat while barrage is a prepartion fire made before attack begin.

LC
cabron66

Post by cabron66 »

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

Altough air/naval assets are not represented by units (i.e counters) request can be made for specific assets (each having specifics combat values as set by designer).

LC

Sounds great except for one thing I remain unclear on. Does the player have any control over which naval or air assets are assigned? Or is that an AI decision?

Cheers

Paul
Someone take my wife, please?
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: cabron66

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

LC

Sounds great except for one thing I remain unclear on. Does the player have any control over which naval or air assets are assigned? Or is that an AI decision?

Cheers

Paul

The answer is, of course, both [:)]

Here is the screen that pops up from the query naval button. Ships can be assigned to bombardment or support missions (these have a probability of success set by the scenario designer). The battle engine can also call on a naval unit for support duirng turn execution, even if not assigned. This feature (on call support of naval gunfire and air support) needs to be detuned a bit as it seems a bit too likely at this point.

Attachments
sup.jpg
sup.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 17 times
zumHeuriger

Post by zumHeuriger »

Cap...
You threw out a tantalizing bit with bypass mode... how wide will a unit swing to avoid the enemy... and from how far away. If I have unit 3 km from the front aiming at a bridge behind the enemy lines with 3-hex gap visible, what parts do I need to plot to use bypass effectively, and what parts will be handled auotmatically during execution....

Its late here in the east and I'm ready for bed, so if the question is unclear... ask away

Cheers

Tom

"Gemma zum Heurig'n"
"Laughter, the best medicine"
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: zumHeuriger

Cap...
You threw out a tantalizing bit with bypass mode... how wide will a unit swing to avoid the enemy... and from how far away. If I have unit 3 km from the front aiming at a bridge behind the enemy lines with 3-hex gap visible, what parts do I need to plot to use bypass effectively, and what parts will be handled auotmatically during execution....

Its late here in the east and I'm ready for bed, so if the question is unclear... ask away

Cheers

Tom

"Gemma zum Heurig'n"

Tom;

I think I understand your question. I didn't know the answer...so I ran a test from Guadalcanal where there is a gap in the US line. I put a couple of Japanese leg-mobile infantry units on the map and gave them orders to move through the US lines, which were zero intel, therefore invisible to the Jap units before moving. They were set on tactical mode with Bypass General Order.

It seemed to work perfectly. On the first turn, the Jap units followed their planned movement path (2-3km) until they bumped into the US line. The unit commanders ordered a halt as if to gain intel and formulate a plan. The US units were given no orders. On the second 8 hr turn, the rightmost Japanese unit moved 2 km to the NW, found a gap and moved around the line...despite being hammered by US artillery interdicting the movement. The leftmost Jap unit spots a gap, moves East and begins to bypass to their destination hex, but gets hung up on turn 2 by the abyssmal terrain.

Needless to say, I was impressed.

KEY:

solid white=planned move
dashed white=bypass maovement
white box=gap in US line
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 18 times

Return to “Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!)”