Review at Gamespot

Battles In Normandy is the third game in the Decisive Battles game series. Battles in Normandy recreates all aspects of the Normandy campaign, from the landings on the first day to the final climax of the campaign at Falaise. Strategic Studies Group rewrote the Decisive Battles game engine for Battles in Normandy with a host of new special rules for amphibious and airborne operations, plus a huge number of other enhancements.

Moderator: alexs

Hartford688

Review at Gamespot

Post by Hartford688 »

Quite a favourable review at Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/bat ... eview.html
wodin

RE: Review at Gamespot

Post by wodin »

As discussed many times before the main problem they see is the price.

"Despite all of the content that is included, the game's relatively steep price is its main drawback. It is sold only through Matrix Games, so price drops are unexpected. Additionally, for the money, it's a shame that the game doesn't come with any printed documentation, because the full-color PDF versions of the manual and the tutorial handbooks look terrific. If you like wargames and can stomach the cost, however, Battles in Normandy definitely provides enough entertainment to earn its keep. "

I personnaly will pay out for a game I KNOW Im going to really enjoy. However many newbie wargamers will go by unnoticed as they will be put off by price. Shame, Im sure there are many FPS and RTS gamers who would really enjoy this type of game. Many would prob pick it up on the spur of the moment just to see what its like. The first attraction would be WW2 then hopefully they get into more brain taxing games.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

And it appears that the Matrix Faithful have been there rating the game at an unrealistically high level (9.2 SUPERB!) which is nice, but it will look suspicious to a lot of gamers as fans "stacking the deck" somewhat. I gave it a slightly more realistic rating of 8.9. It's a great game, but not the Holy Grail (at least until v 1.30 arrives to crush bugs).

Where is V 1.30 repeat where is V 1.30 the world wonders....

Attachments
spear_01.jpg
spear_01.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 14 times
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
rhondabrwn

Oops....

Post by rhondabrwn »

Sorry about the V 130 thing... my mind drifed from Battles in Normandy to my obsession with WITP

<blush>

There is no Gamespot rating for WITP (sadly) that I can pack.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

And it appears that the Matrix Faithful have been there rating the game at an unrealistically high level (9.2 SUPERB!) which is nice, but it will look suspicious to a lot of gamers as fans "stacking the deck" somewhat. I gave it a slightly more realistic rating of 8.9. It's a great game, but not the Holy Grail (at least until v 1.30 arrives to crush bugs).

While there are a few minor bugs that we know of, none of them are sufficientlyserious to justify rushing out a patch. Apart from any other considerations, there would be howls of protest from the PBEM crowd, as each new version irrevocably invalidates PBEM games from old versions.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
PresbyterJohn

Post by PresbyterJohn »

But this is the Microsoft generation. We want patches every month.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG
ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

While there are a few minor bugs that we know of, none of them are sufficientlyserious to justify rushing out a patch. Apart from any other considerations, there would be howls of protest from the PBEM crowd, as each new version irrevocably invalidates PBEM games from old versions.

Gregor

So this is why you pushed to have us start the tournament...you knew it would give you a vacation.
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

Gregor

What about the bug where german AI units regain all of their step losses in one turn? What about the bug where only one music track is played over and over?

PBEM guys are going to be playing PBEM games no matter when you release a patch, so why the wait?
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

ORIGINAL: molotov_billy

Gregor

What about the bug where german AI units regain all of their step losses in one turn? What about the bug where only one music track is played over and over?

PBEM guys are going to be playing PBEM games no matter when you release a patch, so why the wait?

The issue with the AI and replacements can be avoided by using the Computer Minus setting for the AI. The music problem is annoying, but not a gamebreaker.

The game has only been out for a short period of time. By being a little bit patient, we can be more confident that all problems have been identified, and then do one patch, fully tested, that fixes everything.

Yes, PBEM games are always going to be underway, but if we patch early, and then other issues emerges, then we end up with two patches, which inconveniences everybody.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

"Despite all of the content that is included, the game's relatively steep price is its main drawback. It is sold only through Matrix Games, so price drops are unexpected. Additionally, for the money, it's a shame that the game doesn't come with any printed documentation, because the full-color PDF versions of the manual and the tutorial handbooks look terrific. If you like wargames and can stomach the cost, however, Battles in Normandy definitely provides enough entertainment to earn its keep. "

See! I'm not the only one who thinks the price is too high. ;) [still sitting on the fence, waiting on Matrix to see the air in their pocket books.]
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I will be buying BiN as soon as budget permits but here is a bit of a bummer. I plan to buy the CD version because I have only a dial-up modem. It took me the better part of a day to download the patch (80+mb, as I recall) for KP. Only those of us still stuck in the horse&buggy days of the internet know what this experience is like. Fortunately good, old AOL came through & I was able to download in one try. There have been other times when the download experience has been one of table-banging frustration. I don't know if I want to repeat this experience with BiN. I would be willing to pay for a CD copy of the patch because the gaming experience with BiN is going to be worth it. No whining from me about the cost. I know I'm in the minority & I really should either shut up or pony-up for a higher speed internet connection but I really don't need it that much & I'm trying to save where I can.

Dale H
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I too have dial up. I ordered WITP CD and it took 5 weeks to arrive but ultimately got here.

It would be faster to walk across the Pacific Ocean!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Dale H, others have talked about downloading and burning CDs at cybercafes. Can you do that?
I used to know your dial-up pain [:@] but do you use something like Download Accelerator? It can pick up again from where the line dropped out. That way drop-outs are a bit annoying but don't mean starting again.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy”