Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Kevin E. Duguay

RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release

Post by Kevin E. Duguay »

Ammo Sgt,

Hi, long time no see.

Anyhow, please wait till it come's out. Some of the issues that we and others disscused on this forum have been addressed. You should find your VT fused artillery. We were working on WP. AI picks for Russia and others have been vastly improved. In early war scenarios you wont see the Russians comming at you with 20+ T-27's anymore.

Ton's of things were screwed up in 8.1 and a good bunch of people did their very best to fix it while trying not to cause more problems.

As for the point system, well that was not something that I worked on directly. But it should be better than it was. When I ran some tests running generated battles and things seemed better to me. But then again thats me.

Give it a chance, look it over, and then we can all go over this thing with a fine toothed comb.

Looking forward to your posts on this subject, when it comes out![&:]
KED
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

sorry to pop in on this important subject. the pacific mod for cmbo is available again at www.cmmods.com
you need to register to get in. it is for use with cmmos mod manager now 4.05 or you can use McMMM mod manager. email me if you need help or details.
thanks to all the spwaw guys who inspired me to do my pacific mods for cmbb and cmak.
now if wbw and rockinharry and a few others would make us some cmak pto battles, i'd be happy for a long time.
thanks guys
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay
As for the point system, well that was not something that I worked on directly. But it should be better than it was. When I ran some tests running generated battles and things seemed better to me. But then again thats me.

Kevin, any chance of the person who did work directly on the point system giving us a rundown of their rationale for doing what they did?

The point system was based on combat effectiveness, now it apparently isn't. I think we're due an explanation even though this is a free game.

Bob
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

I fear the big 'white elephant' in the room with us all is the concern 8.2 just won't cut it or... frankly... be a bit crap. It seems like it's gone off on a tangent all it's own especially as no pbemers were included in the OOB team that smacks of it being hijacked (by an ideaology) from the start.

The patch no patch full download issue, along with the constantly revised dates are good signs of bad project management / no project management at all which is rather concerning also.

What kind of version control (if any) was used in compiling 8.2?

How long has it been tested?

What are we to think from the constant delays? Perhaps someone at the top has got it and saying Jeez I can't give them 'this'!

I want 8.2 to kick butt, I want it to be good and to heal some of the rifts.
Rune Iversen

Post by Rune Iversen »

ORIGINAL: AmmoSgt

Rune .. I am not trying to start anything.. I just want to know if i should wait for a " better AI version .. assuming that that means a more historicaly based OOB addressing some of the more radical departures that showed up in 8.1 or go back to 7.1 to start an long campaign... if they have continued with a arbitrary pricing scheme and a "fair and balanced" OOB designed to advantage all nations in areas that those nations never had a Historical advantage in while maintaining the actual advantages they actaully had .(.ie averaging artillery for all nations instead if differentiating nations by artillery and infantry weapons) as the game does for tanks.. then regardless for improved AI purchasing , as much as this game badly needs it , then 8.2 is essentially worthless to me , since my interests lay more in being able to use proper tactics for US and other Allied Nations , not trying to adapt Allied and US tactics to a skewed OOB .
What truely saddens me is that they are now talking of fudging the cost figures for PBEM as well as for AI play..
I can correct the pricing using the original pricing formulas from the "spread sheet from hell" for play against the AI , lots of work , but to get a decent game for myself I don't mind ... but a fudged up point system is going to kill PBEM play , and saddly call into question Matrix's position as a fair arbiter of all nations military and thier commitment to "Historically based" wargames in general.
Lets not start another big flame war .. it ain't worth it .. but from everything I have seen so far .. the pricing remains arbitrary and they are still trying to balance away national differences in everything except tanks. I am truely disapointed , for all the work that has gone into this game, if they had just stuck to the original concept of formula pricing based on unit peformance using the original formulas .. this could have been a truely great game.. it is still the best platform out there and I can convert whatever the pricing scheme is for my own use... and i am sure some of the new bells and whistles will be nice to have, but nothing can replace sound basic concepts.
not worth fighting about any more

Hehe, well I was being ironic. Let´s see what 8.2 looks like and if the german tanks continue to resemble the LEO1 in everything but name[:D]
Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

If this thing is gonna have VT fuse arty and willie pete,that will just be awesome!!!!!!
Next,you're gonna have flare rounds at night??[;)][:D]

AmmoSgt

Post by AmmoSgt »

M10 sorry charlie .. those features will be " designer only" .. despite the fact that WP was the most common round fired by the 4Duece. Maybe if you are lucky you will be "allowed" to play with them in a special scenario, but 5 will get you 10 that the US will not have a FO in that scenario.
"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Yeah....Sorry bout that......My dad witnessed Napalm being used at St Lo,I have mentioned it on this forum probably 5 times and I keep getting responses like "Maybe it was used there rarely...Hmmm...My dad and those Germans didn't think it was so rare..
To date,Napalm is not brought in till '45?...
And roger that on WP..Just history revisionism I guess..(Oops,got my p38 messy again,on a worm can..)

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: hellcat

I fear the big 'white elephant' in the room with us all is the concern 8.2 just won't cut it or... frankly... be a bit crap. It seems like it's gone off on a tangent all it's own especially as no pbemers were included in the OOB team that smacks of it being hijacked (by an ideaology) from the start.

The patch no patch full download issue, along with the constantly revised dates are good signs of bad project management / no project management at all which is rather concerning also.

What kind of version control (if any) was used in compiling 8.2?

How long has it been tested?

What are we to think from the constant delays? Perhaps someone at the top has got it and saying Jeez I can't give them 'this'!

I want 8.2 to kick butt, I want it to be good and to heal some of the rifts.

Hellcat, methinks ye doth fret too much.[;)] The OOBs have been worked, reworked
and tested for over six months. However, this is not all that's new for 8.2. The mech.exe was tweaked, new pics/lbm's/icons added, a really impressive set of encyclopedia updates for the Italians included, and we'll also have a few new snd files for you. The only thing remaining to be done is getting the build put together and uploaded to the servers.
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

roger dodger looking fwd to it!

I was talking to Major D about h2h and saying that the spotting alterations plus the fixing of arty and air recon really made a huge leap forward and that anything else doesn't feel right, or a step back. Has anything been changed in 8.2 to rectify these issues?
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

Is the manual and such getting additions too?

And any estimates how long will it take to actually reach downloadable stage?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

Is the manual and such getting additions too?

And any estimates how long will it take to actually reach downloadable stage?

Kristo, the manual hasn't been updated since, what, 5.0? This is a good idea, and needs to be addressed.

For question 2: as long as it takes.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

Yeah, the manual would need an update. I doubt that the only thing that has changed is the amount and parameters of units since 5.0, and it would be nice to actually be sure about the info you read.

But still, I doubt it will be updated since 8.2 is the final release and MG finalizes with SPWAW. Doubt anyone would be most likely rewriting alot of the manual, plus the new information.

but at least 8.2 will be out. Good.
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

and don't forget to put 8.2 version number in main screen this time, can't believe they left it off 8.1 [:-]
BryanMelvin

Post by BryanMelvin »

Well -it should read 8.2 atleast the oobs will [;)]

ORIGINAL: hellcat

and don't forget to put 8.2 version number in main screen this time, can't believe they left it off 8.1 [:-]
BryanMelvin

Post by BryanMelvin »

Yes, the oobs were redone according to your input. Much was returned to to 7.1 data as many suggested.

Here are few more things:

Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle game functions will now work.

In 7.1 oobs, selected formation slots were used to pick AI Formations for these style games. Many of these picked the same formations or odd formations over and over again and rendered Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games verses the AI unplayable for extended playings.

In 8.2, these formation slots were located, marked/labeled, and made into AI Formation Pick formations. These were further adjusted to help the AI pick a better troop mix per time/date/year for Unit selections inside these formations.

This makes playing Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games challenging and fun. You may not know what the AI will pick the next battle and each battle will become different than the last.

Since these are labeled, you can adjust the AI Pick formations inside the oobs to your own liking if you wish by using the oob editor and create your own Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle game oobs for personal use. It is not necessary to do so but this option is open for your use.

You will discover a new untapped genre for playing spwaw Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games verses the AI.

It should be released soon.
Kristo Vaher

Post by Kristo Vaher »

ORIGINAL: BryanMelvin

It should be released soon.

hope so...
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

Hmm, seems interesting. Thanks for the info.[:)]
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

define soon please? as frankly we've heard just about every kind of rubbish about when it's gonna be here and it's pissed a lot of people off and quite a few have logged off mgf for the last time due to this attitude. Bryan if you have any weight with mg please get them to start treating their user base with something akin to respect.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

All of you guys, I thank you for your patience. The download is being privately tested as I write this. The complete SPWaW 8.2 free download will be approx 450 MB. The complete for purchase "Generals' Edition" with SPWaW 8.2 and all four Mega Campaigns will be closer to 700 MB.
The next news will be on the Matrix front page, so no need to check in here for updates on the release. I'll be starting a new sticky thread on 8.2 comments, and un-stickying the 8.1 thread.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”