What do you do?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

83Reforger

What do you do?

Post by 83Reforger »

In other words, what is your vocation? Are you former military? What brought you to gaming?

I work for a defense contractor that manufactures electronics and avionics. I’ve worked on everything from missile guidance systems to USArmy ground based tactical laser guidance, GPS systems, and avionics for Navy and Air Force fighter aircraft.

I spent ten years in the USAF working on E model F4’s and F15’s. I did two years in Europe in 85 and 86 at Zweibrucken AB. Much of my off time was spent researching my fascination of armor and infantry tactics in the AO as I realized if missiles or a chemical attack didn’t get me, the only line of defense for me was those guys out there holding the line.

Tactics are one of my hobbies.. I’ve studied it for years, which is why I thoroughly enjoy a good fight in games like these.
Hellen_slith

Re: What do you do?

Post by Hellen_slith »

I retired from financial auditing. I was in the military a long long time ago (in the Second Armored Division, thus my logo.)

We made up our war games as kids, played Chess during the Fischer era without computers (and still do), and subscribed to S&T magazine / games back in the 1970s. I have been gaming ever since.

PS: I also did REFORGER right at that time, so hello again fellow REFORGER!!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Well then, the two of you might be interested in looking at these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observation_Post_Alpha

https://www.pointalpha.com/en/memorial/

https://www.pointalpha.com/en/

Then this video but you might want to have it translated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRgIcDEStU
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

83Reforger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:46 am In other words, what is your vocation? Are you former military? What brought you to gaming?

I work for a defense contractor that manufactures electronics and avionics. I’ve worked on everything from missile guidance systems to USArmy ground based tactical laser guidance, GPS systems, and avionics for Navy and Air Force fighter aircraft.

I spent ten years in the USAF working on E model F4’s and F15’s. I did two years in Europe in 85 and 86 at Zweibrucken AB. Much of my off time was spent researching my fascination of armor and infantry tactics in the AO as I realized if missiles or a chemical attack didn’t get me, the only line of defense for me was those guys out there holding the line.

Tactics are one of my hobbies.. I’ve studied it for years, which is why I thoroughly enjoy a good fight in games like these.
Current vocation lead software engineer.

Yes, US Army, M1A1 tank driver.

1977, mom bought me Avalon Hill's D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Afrika Korps and Waterloo for Christmas, been war gaming ever since.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Noah526

Post by Noah526 »

Well, I wasn't in the military, but my father was, and he has a lot of great stories that he tells every year. Thanks to his stories I fell in love with everything military. Later I fell in love with games like that and I still play them today. And personally, I work as a programmer. Well, my life is closely connected with games of different genres, from war games to crypto games. I recently read this article https://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/202 ... chain.html and realized how cool crypto games are. Now the world of gaming is developing very rapidly, it's great for gamers. I actually want to create a game myself, but I don't think I'm capable of it yet.
Last edited by Noah526 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
83Reforger

Post by 83Reforger »

Hellen_slith wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm I retired from financial auditing. I was in the military a long long time ago (in the Second Armored Division, thus my logo.)

We made up our war games as kids, played Chess during the Fischer era without computers (and still do), and subscribed to S&T magazine / games back in the 1970s. I have been gaming ever since.

PS: I also did REFORGER right at that time, so hello again fellow REFORGER!!
Not many left who recognize what REFORGER means or meant. Ironically I witnessed my first REFORGER exercise as a civilian on a trip to Germany. I had graduated high school and took a trip over there to see my uncle, who was serving in the Army as a tanker at that time. It definitely influenced my decision to join the service.

Great to see fellow Veterans here, especially those that (literally) sweated the Russians out in Europe.
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Forgive my ignorience but what does it mean by REFORGER. I'm currently playing Korean war want to be enlightened. Is it similar structure as Friedrich The Great similar irregular Freikorps force or some legal force. And what does have to do with wargaming?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

gamer78 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:00 pm Forgive my ignorience but what does it mean by REFORGER. I'm currently playing Korean war want to be enlightened. Is it similar structure as Friedrich The Great similar irregular Freikorps force or some legal force. And what does have to do with wargaming?
If the Cold War went Hot, US forces would have to be rushed to Europe. To make that easier, equipment for those units was stored for them at Reforger sites there. The men would meet up with their equipment and "reforge" into fully equiped units.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

REFORGER is short for "REturn of FORces to GERmany". And was an exercise the US Army practices just in case.

There is (or was when I was in) a sizeable US force in Germany and in the event of WWIII or the Cold War turning Hot, those stationed in Germany were to delay until the REFORGER units from the US arrived. There was depots with tanks and ammo there and the crews and grunts were to be flown into Germany.

I got to participate in REFORGER 88.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Thanks for you both for explanation. Very interesting wording. Great to meet people (-only in internet to chat from different regions-)to have this duty. My best regards.
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

Zovs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:04 pm REFORGER is short for "REturn of FORces to GERmany". And was an exercise the US Army practices just in case.

There is (or was when I was in) a sizeable US force in Germany and in the event of WWIII or the Cold War turning Hot, those stationed in Germany were to delay until the REFORGER units from the US arrived. There was depots with tanks and ammo there and the crews and grunts were to be flown into Germany.

I got to participate in REFORGER 88.
Yes, one of the units was 2AD--FORWARD which if I recall was stationed in Hamburg? Not sure. I suppose it must be now 1st Cav--FORWARD since 2AD was deactivated and retired sometime in the 1990s or 2000s. I guess they don't do REFORGER any more. I don't know, I got out in 1985.

I do recall everyone in my unit at Fort Hood was always clamoring for a spot in 2AD--FORWARD. It was considered to be skate duty for some reason. I guess because ANYTHING's better than Fort Hood.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

I've been retired for a few years now, but my gaming has been sporadic. I began many years ago with little green army men. We would construct "fortifications" out of twigs and grass and then "bomb" them with stones. I also remember playing army in the neighborhood. We would go throughout the neighborhood carrying our rifles and pistols. Today, that would get the SWAT squad called out on us.

"Real" gaming began with Battle Cry, Broadsides, and Dogfight in the 60's. My first real game came about from an ad in a magazine for Napoleon at Waterloo (SPI). This led to a subscription to Strategy and Tactics magazine and all the games that came with it. I graduated to computer gaming in the 80's with Guadalcanal Campaign and Kampgruppe to name a few. Today I mainly play TOAW IV and Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris, though right now I am concentrating on Diamond Mind Baseball.

I keep looking for a new game to reignite my gaming fire, but can't seem to find it.

TomC
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

With Reforger the equipment is stored at sites in Europe. In the event of war troops would fly over and man the equipment. But the sites would quickly become a big radioactive hole in the ground and made useless before the first aircraft of troops left the ground in the U.S. Even worse the sites could be hit as the troops arrived at the European airfields and themselves be toast. Or the airfields would be hit. In any event Reforger is a dinosaur.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Lobster wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:14 pm With Reforger the equipment is stored at sites in Europe. In the event of war troops would fly over and man the equipment. But the sites would quickly become a big radioactive hole in the ground and made useless before the first aircraft of troops left the ground in the U.S. Even worse the sites could be hit as the troops arrived at the European airfields and themselves be toast. Or the airfields would be hit. In any event Reforger is a dinosaur.
Not true, the troops would fly over before the war even started.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

tcarusil wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:38 pm I began many years ago with little green army men. We would construct "fortifications" out of twigs and grass and then "bomb" them with stones. I also remember playing army in the neighborhood. We would go throughout the neighborhood carrying our rifles and pistols. Today, that would get the SWAT squad called out on us.
We built forts using 6" long 2x4 pieces we found in the garage. Placed our little green army men, then took turns ramming each other's forts with Tonka trucks; if a man fell down or got turned over, he was out. Last man standing was the winner. That damnable prone machine gunner was always the hardest dude to get.

We also used the dead-end street for an arena. There, along with Tonkas, we would hurl dirt clods as artillery. No fair tossing rocks!! You'll put your eye out, kid!! The good ol' days.

As for games, I like GMT games. I bought their "Imperial Struggle" title and enjoy that. I have played "Twilight Struggle" also and that too is enjoyable, I think.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I'm an auditor currently. I have always loved to read books. We had Herman Wouk's books The Winds of War and War and Remembrance. I read those. Then I read some historical books. I became fascinated with the Pacific War and the Aircraft Carrier Battles. I also became obsessed with submarine warfare. I remember being poor and we couldn't afford a computer so I would just buy computer magazines and read reviews. I remember reading a review about a game based on Midway and the guy said something along the lines of "I played the USA and got clobbered 5 times in a row. The 6th time I managed to sneak my aircraft carriers in behind the Japanese carriers and took them out and won the battle." This was probably about 1982 or 1983.

I bought Silent Service II and PacWar in the early 90s after I got my first computer.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I'm a Civil Engineer by trade, currently working as Public Works director for a small, affluent town in the north SF Bay Area. I worked in the private sector doing land development engineering and surveying for 25 years before I jumped to the public sector 10 years ago. Worked for the County Public Works for a few years and was appointed County Surveyor by the BOS before taking this job with the Town. On the side, I do some land-use consulting work, helping attorneys out with easements and title/ownership issues.
simovitch

flibby

Post by flibby »

83Reforger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:46 am In other words, what is your vocation? Are you former military? What brought you to gaming?

I also enjoy wargames as a means to test out tactics primarily. Keen to know why you've read and what you found most useful to your tactical knowledge?

I'm a Lawyer, have been for 15 years, in the field of catastrophic injury / traumatic brain injury.

Return to “General Discussion”