EIA v1.25.01 Beta Hotfix #3 Available

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

pzgndr

EIA v1.25.01 Beta Hotfix #3 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Attached is the second update to the recently released v1.24.03 official patch. This update should be applied over the installed v1.24.03 game files or previous v1.25.00 Beta update(s).

Release notes so far:
Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.01
=============================================
- AI adjustments for strategic redeployments for some early war aggressive actions – resolved.
- Some conquered minors not converting control properly when controlling major power forces present – resolved.
- Some combats not properly initiated when enemy corps present – resolved.
- Canceling builds not working per warning implemented in 1.24.01 – resolved.
- Undo Move for COR Kingdom units not working properly – resolved.
- AI adjustments for redeploying forces back to a threatened capital – resolved.
- Turkish AI place/keep feudals issue fixed in 1.24.01 not working – resolved.
- AI adjustments for being able to reach objective areas – resolved.
- Ceded provinces should evacuate all friendly forces, including naval units – resolved.
- Classic 1805 campaign setups incorrectly place a Spanish garrison in neutral Tuscany – resolved.

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.25.00
=============================================
- Minor country secondary districts stay at war despite lapse of war of controlling minor country – resolved.
- Cannot build ships for minors – resolved (error related to Algeria able to build ships but has no fleets issue in v1.24.03).
- Several 1805 EIA/EIH minor country statuses, at-start strengths, and morale discrepancies – resolved. (See Game Manual sections 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 completely updated with corrected values. Databases and tables updated accordingly.)
- AI-AI naval combat bug – resolved.
- Adding province to kingdom bug – resolved.
- Some minor diplomacy settings not cleared upon DOW – resolved.
- Rule clarification, lone transports engaged in naval combat are eliminated, not captured – resolved (see revised rule 8.3.1).
- Minor corps and fleets at war not able to engage enemy when controlling major not at war – resolved.
- Corps destroying depot should also be able to lift siege – resolved.
The download includes the updated EXE, updated .ged database files and .tpj table files, and an excerpt of the updated Game Manual with the setups and corrected minor morale values for both the classic EIA and alternate EIH versions.

As before, I'm standing by to investigate any and all reported bugs and observed AI weaknesses. I keep thinking that I'm close to being done and then always reminded that is not the case. But I'm 'closer' to being done, how about that? And as before, if you spot something then please please get a good game save of the issue and perhaps of the previous game phase so I can reproduce the issue for troubleshooting. Thanks. Enjoy!

UPDATE 1/13/2023. Hotfix #1 posted.
UPDATE 1/20/2023. Hotfix #2 posted.
UPDATE 1/27/2023. Hotfix #3 posted.
EiANW 12501 Beta[3].zip
(4.55 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Jimmi_Magnus

Re: EIA v1.25.01 Beta Available

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

On 1.25.01 I was able to reproduce the reset of movement points in this series of savegames: This didn't trigger the teleportation of the corps at any point, but that part always seemed random.
This entire movement-reset-movement session was done in one go, without having to retry any of the steps.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:13 am This entire movement-reset-movement session was done in one go, without having to retry any of the steps.
I am unable to recreate this problem? When you select Undo Move, the COR unit remains in place and its movement points are restored. I have never seen this and not seeing it in your saves. I'll keep looking. I'm wondering if maybe there is another system configuration issue on your end causing something. I don't know how to address this other than scrutinize the Undo Move function and see what I can do to make it more robust. [NOTE TO OTHERS: HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS WITH COR UNITS?]

I am also going to relook the canceled builds issue and see if I can use a couple of unused variables in the code to save pre-build money and manpower so that they may be restored if the builds are canceled. I'll see what I can do.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

I did an uninstall, and then installed 1.23, updated to 1.24 and added the 1.25.01 patch manually. I'm still able to reproduce the move from Turkey to Amsterdam.
Is there any system settings you'd like to get a look at from my side?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:08 pm I did an uninstall, and then installed 1.23, updated to 1.24 and added the 1.25.01 patch manually. I'm still able to reproduce the move from Turkey to Amsterdam.
Is there any system settings you'd like to get a look at from my side?
Not sure. I assume you have compatibility mode set correctly to Win XP SP2 and DPI settings OK. Are you running the program as Administrator? Any odd O/S that you're running other than Win10 or Win11, maybe something older or different? I don't know. I'm stumped.

There's nothing in the Undo Move code that might treat COR units differently. I understand you move a COR unit, select Undo Move, and then the unit remains in place and its movement restored. Is that correct? Are you doing anything else or seeing anything when you select Undo Move?

BTW, I have fixed the canceling builds issue. I want to look at the Russians piling up on the Austrian border that you reported. If I can recreate the COR moves issue, I'll be able to troubleshoot that.
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

I'm just running a Windows 10 installed back in 2016.
I have not had to set any compatability mode after the reinstall (and I can't recall if I did before).
I forgot to take screenshots, but before reporting it the first time, I got a pop-up box showing that somethng had a 0 value. I remember thinking that this was the originating zone variable, and that it could then not figure out where to place the corps.

I tried just moving and resetting, and I succeeded with the Saxony corps in getting the following pop up msg:
Saxony corps when clicking reset move.png
Saxony corps when clicking reset move.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1261 times
And after cliking 'ok' the Saxony corps has 3 movement points again.
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

And I just keep digging. I'm guessing either somethings off on my computer specifically, or there is some memory indexing issues someplace.
Check the attached logs for Turkey surrendering to Russia in September 1810. And notice that Russia has no terms from Turkey:
Russia takes no peace terms sept 19810.txt
(562.66 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
What triggered me, is that France (AI) did an unconditional surrender the next turn to Spain (me), but I didn't get the 3 territories I had selected. When I checked the surrender settings screen, several of the boxes where empty, including surrender conditions. I've seen this previously, and assumed it was just a display error. Save/reload won't change this, but exiting the game and starting it up again will, and with the game remembering my selected conditions.
I don't know if a savegame will help here, since it looks like it's the client, that's borked?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:37 pm I'm just running a Windows 10 installed back in 2016.
Alright never mind. I recreated the COR moves issue. It doesn't happen for me in my debug code version but I see it now in the release code version. So I can now try doing something and see what happens. Just more tedious not being able to work in the debug environment. I verified this COR move issue and then went back to recreate the Spain access violation and switch to human player, even when Spain got control of Egypt. I'll keep looking and see if I can recreate that.

I'll see what I can do by tomorrow afternoon but after that I won't get back to code development until next Wednesday. But we're getting there. Also adding your Turkey surrender issue to my list. I've also seen the display error.

UPDATE. Found and fixed the COR moves issue. I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.01 Beta Hotfix#1 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #1 posted. Reported issues with canceling builds, undo moves for COR units, and AI defensive redeployments are resolved. Big thanks to Jimmi_Magnus for finding and reporting bug issues.

I'll note that over the past year or two as more and more issues have been resolved, players have been able to get into deeper game play situations that highlight where additional improvements are necessary. I cannot playtest enough myself to find all of the issues to work on. I'd say there are half a dozen players who periodically keep up with my updates and provide constructive feedback. For the most part, the game plays very well and we're getting closer to weeding out remaining issues. And that's my goal for v1.25.xx for the next official update - to weed out all remaining issues.

On my plate for next week is to relook the surrender conditions and figure out what's going on with the AI selecting peace terms. There is also a nagging bug where sometimes the AI switches to human and sometimes in PBEM games it switches humans to AI; I would greatly like to find and fix that one. As before, any and all help finding issues and providing me a good game save is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Another day, another bug.
This is the first time I've seen missing buttons on the siege Screen.
The only impact is that I couldn't move in to garrison after winning the siege:
Missing buttons - siege.png
Missing buttons - siege.png (908.15 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Savegame:
Missing buttons - siege.zip
(202.75 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
On the AI side, it looks like the AI generally forgets to place depots. I've recently seen Narpoleons army forage itself to death against Prussia (AI) over many months, where there were possible locations for depots. This seems to be very obvious, when an AI is crossing an allys territory. Like Russia forraging all the way through Prussia, on the way to fight France.

Edit: I'm starting some new games, to test the AI's defensive play.
Edit 2: Missing garrison button triggered again. I did a restart of the game after the above incident. This time in land movement phase:
Missing buttons 2 - land movement.png
Missing buttons 2 - land movement.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1191 times
Edit 3: Restarting the game loads the buttons again
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Did some simple playtesting: France Hard AI, Prussia Hard AI, Austria human
First game France DoW Prussia, and Austria DoW France in the same turn.
The result was that France basically withdrew all corps to Paris, even when the Prussian and Austrian armies where 3 months away from Paris. No reasonable attempt as made to defend the minors. The only defence which happened was small 1 corps stacks trying something, and getting annihilated by standing next to Charles 6 corps stack. The Prussian AI was not even trying to attack.

Second game, same player setup. France DoW Austria. The only DoW Austria has done, was on Bavaria.
The only Austrian movement in the war was to move 6 corps from Mantua to Salzburg, and for Mack and his 3 corps to take a 1 month detour to Regensburg, to twart the only French attack in the entire 12 months: a Wurzburg corps from a war lapsed minor, with 1 cav and 1 inf heading for Vienna.
This is the gamelog from that game, showing a completely passive France during 12 months of war:
Passive France.txt
(100.29 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Also, if you look at the below image, you will see a total of 6 lapses of war in Europe in this game: 4 went to British control, and could be reached by France, 1 to Russian control and 1 to Turkish control. Circassa in the east even went to British control after a lapse of war.
Lapse of wars.png
Lapse of wars.png (2.68 MiB) Viewed 1175 times
I can't recall having seen it this bad in a while, so my guess is that what you did to solve the situation where Russia didn't defend, went a bit too far.
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Tried a third game today. Again France and Prussai hard AI's and me as Austria.
Plan was to wait for French DoW, and then play agressively against minors, and not try to go for French home nation territory.
France DoW'ed Bavaria first, marched in, and stopped. After the French DoW on Austria, the corps in Bavaria moved out, leading to a lapse of war.
In North Italy the first agressive move I made was moving the 6 corps under Charles from Mantua to Milan, winning the siege against the garrison. No countermoves from France
The turn after, I moved the Charles stack 1 north, to attack Napoleon and 4 corps in Switzerland, winning the battle.
After this one land combat, the French withdrew to Paris, as can be seen below:
France fleeing before Austrian might.png
France fleeing before Austrian might.png (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1169 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Jimmi_Magnus wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:17 am I can't recall having seen it this bad in a while, so my guess is that what you did to solve the situation where Russia didn't defend, went a bit too far.
Probably so. Sorry about that. I'll figure it out tomorrow when I get back to it and then work on the new issues.

UPDATE. Yes, I did find and fix the passive AI problem plus a few other minor issues. I have a playtest game going now with AI France at war with AI Prussia and also AI Russia at war with AI Turkey. I am trying to resolve the issue with Turkey not raising feudals. And then I want to watch the AI surrenders. I should be able to post another Hotfix update tomorrow, 1/20/23.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.01 Beta Hotfix #2 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #2 posted. Reported issues with passive AI in Hotfix #1 are resolved. That was my fault using a new function call with wrong parameters; easy to fix. I also spent time resolving how AI Turkey places and stands down feudal corps. I introduced a new function in v1.24.01 that I thought was working but it wasn't placing feudal corps as intended. During playtesting, I also noticed several other minor AI weaknesses that I made some adjustments on. This Hotfix #2 should be much better now.

I was not able to recreate the missing buttons issue and I have not gotten into the reported AI surrender issues. I will get back to it all next week. Enjoy!
Bill Macon
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

A new one I haden't seen before: Spain did an unconditional surrender to France, and apparently the ships that where in Barcelone, which got ceeded as a victory condition, turned up as French reinforcements the next month:
France gains Spanish ships.png
France gains Spanish ships.png (774.21 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Attached savegame:
France gains Spanish ships.zip
(207.53 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Jimmi_Magnus

Post by Jimmi_Magnus »

Some game testing as Austria:
Russia DoW's Sweden, but tries marching from Finland, instead of using the fleet?
Prussia declares war on Baden, and regrets it, leading to lapse of war:
Lapse of war.zip
(203.77 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
pzgndr

Re: EIA v1.25.01 Beta Hotfix #3 Available

Post by pzgndr »

Hotfix #3 posted. A couple of reported bugs fixed regarding evacuation of fleets from ceded provinces and a Spanish garrison in Tuscany in the 1805 classic setup that shouldn't be there. Other AI adjustments involved many tweaks to how the AI declares wars and assigns units. There are better range checks now and better checks to prevent lapses of wars. Amphibious operations are a bit better. Overall, seems better. Turkish feudals are working better, but I need to review how they're being assigned to operations.

Give this a go and see if how it goes for a week. I will get back to playtesting and adjustments next week, and will either work on another hotfix or start work on v1.25.02. Enjoy!
Bill Macon

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”