DW2-XL v1.11.7 Available

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

scouse22rn

Re: DW2-XL v1.7.0 Available

Post by scouse22rn »

Just discovered this mod, immediately started a new game to try it out! looks good so far.

Just found one bug, I cannot design or build resort bases? I've done the Diversified Space Station research and can design a station but when i save nothing in the design list and I am unable to build on any screen.

is this a known issue or have I missed something somewhere?

Many thanks in advance!

Edit: Found the problem, I hadn't researched Basic Transport Systems!

It is strange however that you can do the resort station research without doing passengers?
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Intaka wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:38 pm In the ship design screen only 3 things add global "ion defense". Multiple copies of a particular global ion defense type do not stack, only the best in each category. The best global ion defense value from a shield, armor and the "ion shield". All other ion defense is "component ion defense" which I believe only applies to that component.
Thanks! d'oh, imagine reading the in-game help for the exact answers I was looking for! :D
Appreciate all of that! Will help a bunch in refining those values.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

scouse22rn wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:00 am Just discovered this mod, immediately started a new game to try it out! looks good so far.

Just found one bug, I cannot design or build resort bases? I've done the Diversified Space Station research and can design a station but when i save nothing in the design list and I am unable to build on any screen.

is this a known issue or have I missed something somewhere?

Many thanks in advance!

Edit: Found the problem, I hadn't researched Basic Transport Systems!

It is strange however that you can do the resort station research without doing passengers?
Same way in vanilla. I found that confusing as well.

I could require that - but then it really should be a different branch from space stations, since those don't require the transport systems.

Worthing thinking about for the future...
TinyFrog

Post by TinyFrog »

Thank you for a very good mod!
I wish Matrix took all of your changes and implemented them. Your tech tree and game balancing is IMHO way better than the current release.
Cudos to you! :D
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

TinyFrog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:46 pm Thank you for a very good mod!
I wish Matrix took all of your changes and implemented them. Your tech tree and game balancing is IMHO way better than the current release.
It's been interesting, for sure. Some of the changes I made initially, I've changed around a few times, only to arrive back at some of the same places that Matrix chose (basically).

But many others have been solid improvements that I've kept - or improved upon until I'm satisfied that they're as good as can be made with the engine at this time.

Hopefully Matrix focuses a great deal on the core gameplay issues -- by which I mostly mean things like Pathing, and Ship-Orders, Refueling, and generally doing what is not the stupidest possible thing x10 in any given situation.

There's a crazy amount going on in this game/sim, and it's a joy to play in it... when it acts reasonably. When it doesn't, it's I want to go shoot people in the face repeatedly level crazy-making.

Still, besides "Sword of the Stars", it's the best galactic 4X game in existence, and SotS is rather long in the tooth at this point - hard to get running on many machines; so I'm very happy to have something to play and play around with.

Thanks for kind words! But really, thank Matrix. The lion's share x100 of the work was done by them. I'm just "salting, to taste"
FlipsTheSlayer

Post by FlipsTheSlayer »

Is this compatible with the latest beta version that was released today? I see that the description says that it's made for use with 1.0.8.4, so I just wanted to know if it would still work with 1.0.8.6, or if I should wait for an update. Thanks.
Time is the greatest, most valuable resource that Humanity could ever have the ability to underestimate
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

FlipsTheSlayer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:08 am Is this compatible with the latest beta version that was released today? I see that the description says that it's made for use with 1.0.8.4, so I just wanted to know if it would still work with 1.0.8.6, or if I should wait for an update. Thanks.
I hadn't realized there was a new version out - yay - I'll take a look now.
UPDATE: yes, 100% compatible. Matrix didn't push out any new data files (must be binary file changes, or packed data binary, changes, but no .xml file updates, which is what I modify)
---

As a general rule: I always expect folks to EXCLUSIVELY use the latest beta.

However, I'm not magical, and if I've not had a moment to integrate a given new beta, then it may, or may not, be 100% compatible. That depends on what Matrix has released anew.

So far - knock on wood - it is usually compatible w/o any edits from me. But sometimes that's not true. Depends. So you can check the OP or the README.md at the github project for info on what's the latest beta this is integrated with.

Also note:
You must re-merge this mod's files with the new beta's data folder when a new beta is published, because otherwise, some files will be reverted to the beta's version, which are definitely NOT compatible (won't have) my changes in them
mordachai

Re: DW2-XL v1.8.0 Available

Post by mordachai »

v1.8.0 is available - see OP
Sargatanus

Re: DW2-XL v1.8.3 Available

Post by Sargatanus »

Just got this and I'm digging it so far. Any chance for some QoL tweaks? Namely the sublight drives in vanilla are underwhelming at best. If you hold off on FTL until later, the sublight drives can't even get you halfway across a single star system. I'd say a general 50% boost on all sublight engines except for the beginner one would probably be warranted.

Additionally, the Planet Destroyer could stand to have a few more engine slots, some fighter bay slots (I mean it really should have some and it's weird that it doesn't), and at least one more size 200 weapon slot on the nose since its current template doesn't allow you to get anywhere close to maxing out its 6000 space. I tried making these tweaks myself, but it looks like there's more than one place that these changes need to be made.
Thelonelychair

Post by Thelonelychair »

mordachai wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:56 am
TinyFrog wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:46 pm Thank you for a very good mod!
It's been interesting, for sure. Some of the changes I made initially, I've changed around a few times, only to arrive back at some of the same places that Matrix chose (basically).

But many others have been solid improvements that I've kept - or improved upon until I'm satisfied that they're as good as can be made with the engine at this time.

Hopefully Matrix focuses a great deal on the core gameplay issues -- by which I mostly mean things like Pathing, and Ship-Orders, Refueling, and generally doing what is not the stupidest possible thing x10 in any given situation.

There's a crazy amount going on in this game/sim, and it's a joy to play in it... when it acts reasonably. When it doesn't, it's I want to go shoot people in the face repeatedly level crazy-making.

Still, besides "Sword of the Stars", it's the best galactic 4X game in existence, and SotS is rather long in the tooth at this point - hard to get running on many machines; so I'm very happy to have something to play and play around with.

Thanks for kind words! But really, thank Matrix. The lion's share x100 of the work was done by them. I'm just "salting, to taste"
I’d also like to shout out some praise, thanks, adulation, and appreciation to you for the mod, and to Maxis for the game itself. I originally took the $70(I think) jump onto DWU years ago after reading a steam review comparing DWU to a paradox game (pre stellaris). And frankly as much as I love paradox GSGs, I can’t help but appreciate the singular focus by the devs here on improving the core shortcomings of the base game. IE performance, crashes, tanker ships, balancing, etc…

I don’t mean to dunk on Paradox, but damn do I wish they had the same focus when it comes to fixing up Victoria 3. New features and content aren’t worth a hill of beans if the game is nigh unplayable due to bad performance and hitching 2/3’s the way through a campaign, or fundamental mechanics are seriously unbalanced/bugged.

Thank you all for doing what you do.
benc85

Re: DW2-XL v1.8.7 Available

Post by benc85 »

With the introduction of martix's official mod support, are we likely to see a version of this going forward that's compatible with that? I'd love to be able to test your beta patches when they're released, but be able to switch back to the base game without having to delete / revalidate a load of stuff first.

Either way, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing DW2 XL, and look forward to seeing what you continue to develop going forward
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

benc85 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:13 am With the introduction of martix's official mod support, are we likely to see a version of this going forward that's compatible with that? I'd love to be able to test your beta patches when they're released, but be able to switch back to the base game without having to delete / revalidate a load of stuff first.
They're working on adding steam workshop support. Hopefully it'll be available very soon - at which point, yes - this is just a workshop item that you can enable/disable at will. Not sure what GoG offers? I gave up GoG a long while back - so maybe those folks will also have something - or maybe this mod will have a .zip that is just what you put in the mod folder manually - which isn't a big ask.

Glad folks are enjoying this. I've got some big fixes coming in the near term (relatively minor things). Not sure what will inspire me next. Would like to overhaul the weapon tree - but not clear on a coherent vision for that yet.

note: I did update for the new 1.0.9.8 beta they just published Friday. See 1st post.
Thelonelychair

Post by Thelonelychair »

mordachai wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:10 pm
benc85 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:13 am With the introduction of martix's official mod support, are we likely to see a version of this going forward that's compatible with that? I'd love to be able to test your beta patches when they're released, but be able to switch back to the base game without having to delete / revalidate a load of stuff first.
They're working on adding steam workshop support. Hopefully it'll be available very soon - at which point, yes - this is just a workshop item that you can enable/disable at will. Not sure what GoG offers? I gave up GoG a long while back - so maybe those folks will also have something - or maybe this mod will have a .zip that is just what you put in the mod folder manually - which isn't a big ask.

Glad folks are enjoying this. I've got some big fixes coming in the near term (relatively minor things). Not sure what will inspire me next. Would like to overhaul the weapon tree - but not clear on a coherent vision for that yet.

note: I did update for the new 1.0.9.8 beta they just published Friday. See 1st post.
Hmm I seem to be having some trouble getting the mod to load up properly with the new beta. I'd already verified file integrity and followed the installation steps (easy enough). Is anyone else having this issue too?
dudefan

Re: DW2-XL v1.9.1 Available

Post by dudefan »

is there a compatibility with Customizable mega mod pack?

does it make sense to combine some mods with this one?
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

dudefan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:29 am is there a compatibility with Customizable mega mod pack?

does it make sense to combine some mods with this one?
Once the official modding support is in the code base - enough to support XL - then other mods should be able to be layered on top of this one, using their official mod interface.

I believe, but could be wrong, that the ultimate customizable one is/was made before Slitherine made their modding system, so is not likely to be compatible, but not sure?

Either way - this mod - XL - was always built in a way that should make it work well with other mods. But the devil's in the details.
Intaka

Post by Intaka »

I appreciate your detail oriented, well balanced work. Thank you for making my well wasted time more enjoyable.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Intaka wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:16 pm I appreciate your detail oriented, well balanced work. Thank you for making my well wasted time more enjoyable.
I'm glad that others get some enjoyment out of my efforts, which are mostly out of self-interest in making this game better for my own play! :D

But seriously, appreciate the kind words.

Looking forward to having steam workshop support - and I'll tweak this mod to be minimalist - so that it pulls in just what it changes, instead of everything related to what's changed. It will also need a small update for 1.1.0.x, which I've delayed on doing until at least 1.1.0.2 is available, so that I can do this next work in a more standardized / long-lived fashion.

I'll update here when that is available, of course.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

Mordachai,

I am curious to know what Galaxy configurations you tend to play on? (number of stars, type, sector grid size, nebulae density)

You have put a lot of effort and thought into this mod!

Thanks for sharing!
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

arvcran2 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:17 am Mordachai,

I am curious to know what Galaxy configurations you tend to play on? (number of stars, type, sector grid size, nebulae density)

You have put a lot of effort and thought into this mod!

Thanks for sharing!
Heh - I don't like to be overwhelmed by the mid, let alone late-game ridiculous-numbers-of-worlds-to-manage syndrome that tends to happen with 4X games -- and since automation of governance is still rudimentary at best (in this game and all others I've played to date), I try to make a big galaxy with as few worlds to manage as possible, while still having a viable empire.

So, I use:
- irregular galaxy
- 1000 systems
- 8x8 (so if I end up making it to late game, my machine isn't too bogged down, and the game remains fluid enough to be fun to play).
- minimum nebula (pathfinding in DW2 is still borked, so they're just a bug-fest).
- minimum habitability
- minimum independents
- 12-16 opponents
- 2-4 worlds for the opponents, and minimum tech allowed for that (tier 0+1 researched for them).
- hard or very hard difficulty

Sometimes I choose pre-warp for everyone, and extreme difficulty for myself, to give them some chance to be an interesting challenge.

Which isn't to say that I don't get my but kicked sometimes - I do. Some starts just put you at odds with everyone, and with not enough viable resources & worlds to grow, and it becomes an un-fun slog. but it's hard to get a game to grow organically to a point where it's really got an interesting dynamic going on - enough of a good start to grow - but not so good that I'm outpacing all my neighbors - and for them - that they grow well enough to be _interesting_.

Because there are so few habitable worlds in my usual game setup - I pay attention to worlds that are damaged but will become habitable in time - and to worlds that are going to be habitable within 20pts, and then I try to tech up and adopt aliens who can utilize what I have available and make it good worlds over time (tricky, if you colonize when it's too poor, especially with too large of an initial population, they'll rebel instantly!). But if you at least queue a terraforming facility - and it doesn't get clobbered in the revolt - it will eventually get built & help make that world hospitable to your original colonists - and then they're a viable indy like any other (beware: your neighbors will snag them too!).

Anyway - I like the sub-game of dealing with a relatively inhospitable galaxy in terms of colonization, and limited worlds to manage - which also makes them of greater political / strategic / economic value and gives my games a bit more "meaning" and "simplicity"
Scott2933

Re: DW2-XL v1.9.5 Available [1.1.0.3 required] [Steam Workshop!]

Post by Scott2933 »

So I love the mod - but the problem is that for the third time - at some point mid game, it crashes and reloading the save makes it crash again a few minutes later (at the same point). Newest beta with your latest version (steam workshop installed).

Don't know if the error logs would help. I don't have this problem just dw2.

Thanks and again - love the mod except for the obvious issue with getting stuck with a bad save.

Return to “Design and Modding”