Oh holiest One Vic please let us clear forests, drain swamps etc

Moderator: Vic

ElectricGod

Oh holiest One Vic please let us clear forests, drain swamps etc

Post by ElectricGod »

It would be stupendous if we had the ability to alter hexes by way of clear cutting forests or draining swamps maybe even using irrigation to render land useable for farming.

It would allow me to have a better feeling of control and agency of my land and to use the terrain as a way of setting traps and making planets that are tank unfriendly capable in small ways with effort from the player or AI.
I'm sure this has been suggested before but I'm adding my voice of support. It doesn't explicitly have to be full scale terraforming, but if ancient sumerians could irrigate and farm the plains of the iraqi rivers then damnit so should we!
Voker57

Re: Oh holiest One Vic please let us clear forests, drain swamps etc

Post by Voker57 »

open-air farms already do convert surrounding hexes to agricultural terrain. Otherwise converting seems a past-endgame thing, remember, a hex is 200km.
ElectricGod

Post by ElectricGod »

I actually didn't realize how big a hex thanks for that information.
I've heard of using the open air farm but it seems a bit blunt to me. Originally i had the idea of it being a bit more of an individual feature instead of only a byproduct of a single building. It doesn't have to be on a grand scale maybe in 3 turns a heavily forested hex could be cleared, something basic like that. You could also tie it with a industry building but maybe having a profile perk where you have a labor corp or something like they do the United States
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

200 km? Schist. I guess I'm supposed to read the manual.

:)
Dotdotdot

Post by Dotdotdot »

It would be cool if months long combat could result in deforestation or replacing tiles with a battle scarred variant.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Dotdotdot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 pm It would be cool if months long combat could result in deforestation or replacing tiles with a battle scarred variant.
Just to drive home the scale:
The entirety of the D-Day Invasion fits into 1 Hex and 0.5 turns.

Actually, given the incredible sizes of hexes Units control way too much ground and science goes way too fast.
Cassini

Post by Cassini »

I've been contemplating doing an extended write up for a potential DLC to 'fix' the scale issues in the game extant.

The ground and time scale of the game extant is strategic, while the unit scale is tactical.... does make it difficult to 'suspend disbelief' when playing.

The economy as structured is also a major 'let down' - 'magical mystery traders', where are the 'trade routes'? Traders aren't linked to hex perks that can be captured by the player (no warehouses full of products to 'loot'). Given the setting presented, having these 'trade networks' just strains belief (did these 'traders' somehow better adjust to post apocalypse conditions???). This (the traders) is something that should be COMPLETELY 'ditched' as currently presented and a system of private assets (city hex assets) created that enable 'trade' between regimes of 'excess' goods available (food, metals, fuel).

There is no linkage between wealth creation and wages paid to workers. The feudal-like system of wealth distribution with a European style parliamentary cabinet/ministers is also a bit perplexing.

Given the relatively short play time - 15-20 'years' to victory (and SMALL population numbers), hex resources should be essentially 'unlimited' - with difficulty in recovery being the only limit function as to the rate of extraction.

The 'fix' to the ground scale issue would be to switch up the ground unit scale from battalion, regiment, division, to divisions (XX's) and armies (XXXX's) - with corps and army groups as OHQs. This would shift the subunit scale from (essentially) company up to battalion. Then the population of the zones would have to be scaled up by a multiple of 10-15 to keep everything in proportion. This would mean the typical zone with city hex would start at population of 1-2 million workforce equivalents (give or take - with all the assets appropriately scaled up to account for increase in population). This would mean that the 'typical' zone with city hex could support approximately 20-25 division equivalents. This wouldn't completely fix the issue of unit size 'mismatch' to hex scale - but it would be a FAR BETTER model than currently exists.

It is important to realize in this conceptualized model that 'population' is 'workforce participants' and NOT everyone from infants to elderly - multiply by 2-3 to get actual total population.

The rate of technology progression would remain UNCHANGED - technological progress would be conceptualized more as a matter of 'relearning' what was lost rather then completely 'reinventing the wheel'. The extant 'binary' system works will with this assumption - in that a relevant technology is 'discovered' then the time to train population in the use of the technology before implementation through the 'research' process is conducted.
finrodfelagund

Post by finrodfelagund »

zgrssd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:50 pm
Dotdotdot wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 pm It would be cool if months long combat could result in deforestation or replacing tiles with a battle scarred variant.

Actually, given the incredible sizes of hexes Units control way too much ground and science goes way too fast.
Units need to be larger or hexes smaller maybe. To scale; German army fought through the largest military in the world, practically destroyed it once and drove 4-5 hexes into Soviet Union in span of 1.5 turns.
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

finrodfelagund wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:28 pm
zgrssd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Units need to be larger or hexes smaller maybe. To scale; German army fought through the largest military in the world, practically destroyed it once and drove 4-5 hexes into Soviet Union in span of 1.5 turns.

For example:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 301 times

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”