Suggestion: Highlight the planet/moon within a system

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

mordachai

Suggestion: Highlight the planet/moon within a system

Post by mordachai »

So, at the galaxy level, if I have say new colony locations tab open, the game shows me which systems have a candidate in.

However, if I zoom in on the system (because I want to actually know how good the candidate it at a given strategic location), that highlight disappears at the system-level, so I cannot tell which is which.

In and of itself, this is an attempt to hack at getting the real info: WHAT WORLD? HOW GOOD IS IT? SHOULD IS SEND A COLONIZER?

None of that can be answered from the galaxy screen without randomly scrolling down through the list until I match up highlighted system, and can evaluate it.

In general - it would be very nice - if when a given mode is enabled (such as new mining locations, new construction locations, new colony locations, etc.) if I moused over the highlighted system - it would TELL ME what's there that's relevant in this mode - i.e. the stats of the world(s) at that location that matter for colonization, or for mining, or exploration, etc.

In general - it would be really really nice if at the galaxy level right clicking on a system was context-sensitive - so that if I've selected a colonizer - right clicking would offer me the ability to move-to or colonize-at available targets, directly, rather than randomly offering for whatever thing was in that system and "under my mouse" at that time (i.e. trying to discern sub-pixel pointer intention - which is bogus by definition). List available target-actions, rather than having to zoom into a system to blow it up to the point where it's meaningful / available to right click on...

Well, that's probably a substantial bit of work - so maybe just keep highlighting enabled when we zoom in on systems so we don't have to GUESS which one is which when we do have to zoom in to be able to select which one with the mouse as it currently stands...
btd64

Re: Suggestion: Highlight the planet/moon within a system

Post by btd64 »

mordachai wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 am So, at the galaxy level, if I have say new colony locations tab open, the game shows me which systems have a candidate in.

However, if I zoom in on the system (because I want to actually know how good the candidate it at a given strategic location), that highlight disappears at the system-level, so I cannot tell which is which.

In and of itself, this is an attempt to hack at getting the real info: WHAT WORLD? HOW GOOD IS IT? SHOULD IS SEND A COLONIZER?

None of that can be answered from the galaxy screen without randomly scrolling down through the list until I match up highlighted system, and can evaluate it.

In general - it would be very nice - if when a given mode is enabled (such as new mining locations, new construction locations, new colony locations, etc.) if I moused over the highlighted system - it would TELL ME what's there that's relevant in this mode - i.e. the stats of the world(s) at that location that matter for colonization, or for mining, or exploration, etc.

In general - it would be really really nice if at the galaxy level right clicking on a system was context-sensitive - so that if I've selected a colonizer - right clicking would offer me the ability to move-to or colonize-at available targets, directly, rather than randomly offering for whatever thing was in that system and "under my mouse" at that time (i.e. trying to discern sub-pixel pointer intention - which is bogus by definition). List available target-actions, rather than having to zoom into a system to blow it up to the point where it's meaningful / available to right click on...

Well, that's probably a substantial bit of work - so maybe just keep highlighting enabled when we zoom in on systems so we don't have to GUESS which one is which when we do have to zoom in to be able to select which one with the mouse as it currently stands...
If you open the colony available screen while the galaxy is up, you should get what you want....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

Click on the Planet you want to look at.
Press "Delete". It Zooms to the Planet/Moon.
Move your Mouse over to another Planet and again over your Planet you want to observe.
Press "Page Up".
It zooms out and also it highlights the moon, further out the Planet, further out the Sun.
If you want to Colonize by hand, you have selected the Colonizer you want beforehand (before you did step one).
Then you press Left Arrow Button while having zoomed to the planet. The Colonizer is selected (You went back in the selection history with the Arrows).
You tell him to colonize.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

P.S.: An even easier way (just found out now..)

Not always are there those dotted circles around colonizable systems.
You have to unpause your game and click for instance F3, better works the button bottom right on diplomacy.
Now at least there should be those dotted circles representing colonizable planets/moons.

Rebind your "new colonies" key from Shift+F4 to another better reachable button.
Now, if you see those greyish cirlces, you can zoom into the planetary/system level. Now there are not dotted circles unfortunately (would be very helpful. but well..)

NOW, you press your shortkey for new colonizable planets/moons, and for a short time, the planet in question is shortly highlighted with the orange circle.
You missed it, you press the key again... and again :-)

And you know... while dragging around with you left mouse, selected things are lost immediately as we all know..
but even if you have no planet selected, with the short key new colonizable planets, they are shown!!

PPS: Such shortcuts can also be used to quickly close those menues that tend to stay open.. just push them twice and all is closed..
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

rxnnxs wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 pm P.S.: An even easier way (just found out now..)
Nice find.

Yeah - I can work with that. Or your previous suggestion. Thanks.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”