Aerial Recon

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rockmedic109

Aerial Recon

Post by rockmedic109 »

Is it better to set a target for recon missions or leave it to commanders discretion?
RangerJoe

RE: Aerial Recon

Post by RangerJoe »

For naval and aerial bombardments, set the targets. If you want to see what is someplace to see what you need to bring there, then set the target.

If you want to have the enemy spread out all over, set many targets - even using bombers, some of which do have cameras.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

WEXF

Post by WEXF »

As the Allies you really are at a disadvantage with regard to recon air units at the start of the game. Using bombers on targeted recon missions is OK but no substitute for an actual recon unit. Bombers, even with cameras, are only about 1/3 as efficient at recon. If the bombers are not on a recon mission but on a bomb run they will perform some recon as they bomb but again, nowhere near as good as having a recon plane do the job.
One interesting way to use the bomber units in India is on recon missions. Their range is not that great but some of them have cameras and can help you recon Thailand to a degree. As bombers they are pretty weak and carry a pretty small load, but on recon flights they can fly high, probably avoid AA and deliver some intel.
WEXF
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: WEXF

As the Allies you really are at a disadvantage with regard to recon air units at the start of the game. Using bombers on targeted recon missions is OK but no substitute for an actual recon unit. Bombers, even with cameras, are only about 1/3 as efficient at recon. If the bombers are not on a recon mission but on a bomb run they will perform some recon as they bomb but again, nowhere near as good as having a recon plane do the job.
One interesting way to use the bomber units in India is on recon missions. Their range is not that great but some of them have cameras and can help you recon Thailand to a degree. As bombers they are pretty weak and carry a pretty small load, but on recon flights they can fly high, probably avoid AA and deliver some intel.
WEXF

That is correct, the Fulmar and Lysander have cameras, and are useful in short-range recon roles for those who are not aware of the camera

(Which is good, because those planes aren't good for much else)

US lacks recon, though this is solved by early 1943, when you get fair number of F-5s and start getting the Liberator Recons
the1henson

Post by the1henson »

What altitude is best for recon without cameras (or with for that matter)? As high as possible to avoid AA?

Phrased better, does flying lower generate a greater increase in detection levels?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

ORIGINAL: the1henson

What altitude is best for recon without cameras (or with for that matter)? As high as possible to avoid AA?

Phrased better, does flying lower generate a greater increase in detection levels?
Altitude does not appear in Section 10.2 RECON FLIGHTS of the manual, only pilot experience.

I fly high to avoid flak.
scondon87

Post by scondon87 »

I have seen what seems to be a slight improvement on the margins when doing low altitude recon v. high, but it feels so slight that I still will usually fly at ceiling to protect the airframes. I know that’s not mentioned in the manual, but it wouldn’t be the only thing omitted either.
the1henson

Post by the1henson »

Looks like the consensus so far is to just fly high - it's not worth it to do otherwise.

Thanks.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I will use commanders discretion to find land combat units off base...doesn't always work, and you need to juggle the range to avoid better targets that the local commanders might want to check on.

There are some great threads about recon by Alfred, and others...I think a few are in my AARs.

Important points to remember, is that the recon unit will send out 4 planes assuming all checks made and there are enough planes in the unit. This can cause high fatigue in small recon squadrons.

Also watch the combat replay closely to see the timing of the recon flights...and cancellations.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I always see the recon flights fly after the morning Air Strikes and after the Afternoon Air Strikes. I think night recon is needed to help the morning air strikes. At least that is the way it works between Naval Search and Naval Attack.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I always see the recon flights fly after the morning Air Strikes and after the Afternoon Air Strikes. I think night recon is needed to help the morning air strikes. At least that is the way it works between Naval Search and Naval Attack.

Night recon can only be done by floats or flying boats...although there are other methods to boost the dl during the night phase. Blunder into a minefield is one I recall.
the1henson

Post by the1henson »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Blunder into a minefield is one I recall.

Oof
rmeckman

Post by rmeckman »

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

Altitude does not appear in Section 10.2 RECON FLIGHTS of the manual, only pilot experience.

Neither Section 10.2 in the manual nor the Pilot Management Addendum say anything about the pilot Recn skill having any effect on unit spotting. Only pilot Exp is mentioned. Does the Recn skill really have a direct effect on spotting, or is it just indirect by increasing pilot Exp (which is true of other skills as well)?
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

ORIGINAL: rmeckman

Neither Section 10.2 in the manual nor the Pilot Management Addendum say anything about the pilot Recn skill having any effect on unit spotting. Only pilot Exp is mentioned. Does the Recn skill really have a direct effect on spotting, or is it just indirect by increasing pilot Exp (which is true of other skills as well)?
According to a post by Alfred in his 2014 response to Trugrit on cameras, the manual's use of "experience" was inexact. The check is made against recon skill, not overall experience.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rmeckman

According to a post by Alfred in his 2014 response to Trugrit on cameras, the manual's use of "experience" was inexact. The check is made against recon skill, not overall experience.
I believe that. I have been training my cruiser/BB FP pilots in recon to improve bombardment performance and it appears to have an effect, most noticeable after they reach 50 in Recon skill.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

This was the thread to which I was referring:

tm.asp?m=3694325&mpage=1&key=camera&#3694407

There is lots of good stuff in here in the back and forth, but it can be a bit hard to follow.

rmeckman

Post by rmeckman »

Thanks for the link. This is a good example of why it is not always easy to track down specific game details by searching this forum: a clarification of what “Experience” means in manual Section 10.2 ended up being buried in a 2014 tread mainly focused on cameras. Sometimes it takes just the right combination of search terms to get the relevant hit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”