DAR as NVA: Battle of LZ Albany 11/17/1965 (No peeking Big Ivan!)

Please post your after action reports on your battles and campaigns here.

Moderator: Campaign Series Matrix Edition Development Group

Crossroads

RE: DAR as NVA: Battle of LZ Albany 11/17/1965 (No peeking Big Ivan!)

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Oh well, it sure got interesting for a bit!

Time to prepare for the inevitable US next phase, then. I am moving my MMG platoons to a sector just out of line of sight of the US units out there. I have four MMG units, so plenty of Op Fire to fire back. I double check: yes, Opportunity Fire at Helicopters set at Medium range. With a firing range of 5 hexes (1250 meters) for my MMGs, Medium range will fire at them at two, three hex distance. That by the way includes both the distance of the hex a helo is at, and then its flight level:

[*] Helo, two hexes from me, Nap of Earth: 2 hex firing distance
[*] Helo, two hexes from me, Low: 3 hex firing distance
[*] Helo, two hexes from me, High: 4 hex firing distance.

Light arms Fire results at High level are penalised, so don't want to fire at that height anyway. Should be a good setup. (Wish I had SAMs, they excel at High flight level!)

So there's the Anti-aircraft setup I have. Highlighted here with selecting the AA NATO symbol from Toolbar Highlights group. There's plenty of higlight options, from Anti-tank to Engineers to Disrupted or Fixed units, the lot.

That's the end-of-play situation. Spread out, no overstacking anywhere (more than 12SP in a hex), hoping desperately to down a gunship or three next turn!

Attachments
lz_albany_..buildup3.jpg
lz_albany_..buildup3.jpg (728.48 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Here's then the busy End of Play NVA Turn #8 screenshot.

With the losses I've taken, it is getting hot here. I did take out some US strength as well, so not too bad when it comes to Kill Ratio itself.

See the Event points, though. If the US Event Points Reward is indeed 100 Event Points per holding LZ Albany for four consecutive turns, I need to do something about that!
hoping desperately to down a gunship or three next turn!

The US Side A player is often heavily penalised for losing Helicopter crews out there, so all is not yet lost.

File sent to John / Big Ivan.

"Oh, gunships. So that's why I have these MANPAD units!"

Ha, that won't scare him. Gotta try, though.

Attachments
lz_albany_t8_eop.jpg
lz_albany_t8_eop.jpg (842.51 KiB) Viewed 481 times
---
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Can't beat a bit of psychological warfare. [:)]

It raises a good point actually :

The stealthy nature of this conflict and the way it is so well portrayed in this game actually creates it's own psychological pressure on the French/US player in particular I am finding.

I have to actively push myself to take risks to try and complete missions and take objectives when my instinct (much like many ARVN commanders back in the day) is to worry about "what's out there" in the jungles and paddies :-)

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I should have taken my SMEAC literally, this time around. ”Go at’em. Do mind the Hogs.” All’s pointing to quite a lively finale here. If only my machinegunners could discourage them a bit to keep their distance and not hover NoE next to my units.
---
berto

Post by berto »

TBH, I do think you were too cautiously methodical at the start. You should have hit them hard as fast as you can.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: berto

TBH, I do think you were too cautiously methodical at the start. You should have hit them hard as fast as you can.

+1
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Umm, you guys have not paid attention, have you. It was not me, it was the previous Political Officer. We had him shot.
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

NVA Turn #9 of 12

A new turn in, I won't have the time to play it today, but let's watch the replay!

No Close Air Support missions this time around either ... I would not assume they'd been saving their CAS for so long? Surely not?

Mmm. Close Air Support. It is real. [8|]

Plenty of Huey Hogs around as well, my machinegunners reacted well, but seems the Medium range against Helicopter is too far. They fire at three hex distance, with flight levels, there's not much impact. Reminder to set AA Range to Short, for now on.

I am stopping counting casualties. I am a Political Officer, after all. After some hard fighting against the imperial intruders. People's Army of North Vietnm is happy to report the American capitalists are being teached a hard lesson!

Lesson being: air power is awesome.

On good news, I got lots of Disruption recoveries, so get to go again. Let us fight them arm and tooth until the end!

On another news, my Artillery Supply isn't that bad, but due to bad die rolls I remain with just one 60mm supporting. Despite of not using them last turn.

(To be continued)

Attachments
lz_albany_t9_replay.jpg
lz_albany_t9_replay.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 481 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

NVA Turn #9 of 12

(To be continued)

Back to the jungles, then. I used to like these parts of the forest before all those American tourists showed up, with their noisy toys...

To do something about them, I thought to focus on that flagpole they've planted in the middle of my little opening. Moving in with my two suffering platoons from west, I fire at them, hoping for results. Then, not a text book assault this time around either, but an all-in one with the four rifle platoons I have in the perimeter.

Assault! And they fall! Nice touch with Event Points, my hard suffering men receive an immediate Morale boost! I deny that having to do with the little opium garden we had there... A shout from the Headquarters, too. People's Army is happy!

Attachments
lz_albany_..buildup1.jpg
lz_albany_..buildup1.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 481 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Boldened by this success, I try to take that ridge top with similar tactics, but the Assault does not win the day there.

No friendly losses though, so it might have been a close thing.

Attachments
lz_albany_..buildup2.jpg
lz_albany_..buildup2.jpg (291.88 KiB) Viewed 477 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

NVA End of Play Turn #9

Let us finish with a tabletop view of the battlefield Albany.

Look at those US Event Points! Oh, the High Command must not have been happy. They've gained their 100 Event Points every four turns, now I am assuming they were stripped 100 Event Points.

Kill Ratio, while losses on my side have mounted, is brutal for the US side. They pay a high price for each loss taken. Let us try to keep that up.

File sent over!

Attachments
lz_albany_t9_eop.jpg
lz_albany_t9_eop.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 477 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Kill Ratio, while losses on my side have mounted, is brutal for the US side. They pay a high price for each loss taken. Let us try to keep that up.

Well, it is brutal for me too. I took 15 Strength Points of losses this turn, during his phase, and mine. They lost 5 steps. Yet, hope springs eternal. May there be many Blue on Blue situations come next turn, I mean, they are packed with Artillery and Close Air Support!
---
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Wow...nice work. I imagine that the success of that assault came as a nasty shock to Ivan....chaotic scenes in and around the LZ just as historically was the case. When I reach this scenario it will be with a sense of trepidation that I arrive as the US !
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I have a feeling 7th Cav will live to fight another day here but this has been most fun. There is quite a ”We Were Warriors” vibe here [:)]

---
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Yes I was definitely getting that vibe too reading the AARs.&#128578;
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I often have this sort of roleplaying mindset with my little digital troopers out there. They've given their best despite the shambles they were led into. I will start to have them disappear to jungle in turn 11. I just know the next turn will be just brutal for them.

Enough. They finally took the LZ if just for one turn. One more turn at the enemy, men! Then head home. (Those who are still walking that is)
---
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

I do the same.

Heroic stands and desperate assaults are what makes the game very cinematic for me. I think your boys did you proud....(if not your long forgotten predecessor as polital Officer)[:)]
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

NVA Turn #10 of 12

And so it goes.

I have a feeling 7th Cav will live to fight another day here but this has been most fun. There is quite a ”We Were Warriors” vibe here [:)]
No airstrikes this turn, lots of artillery, lots of direct fire. John's doing a very good job at disrupting my men, but with Morale of 8, they recover very well, especially as this battleground consist of hexes with good concealment, and their Leaders are stacked with them as well.

13 disruptions would have normally meant I am toast, but 10 of them recover. Wow.

Still, lost another eight strength points. Ouch. At this stage we're like two tired boxes, exchanging blows, but not able to get much done.

"Two units low on ammo". That would be my Mortar park [:(]

Attachments
lz_albany_t10_replay.jpg
lz_albany_t10_replay.jpg (953.3 KiB) Viewed 477 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

At this stage we're like two tired boxes, exchanging blows, but not able to get much done.

Or maybe not? Let us try to assault that vulnerable stack holding high ground here...

Suppressing fire from three hex sides, then an Assault from three hex sides. This is looking promising.

No. No dice.

Firing at everyone on my turn then, cycling through all his units one by one. To keep him from attacking or assaulting me come next turn.

At this stage we're like two tired boxes, exchanging blows, but not able to get much done.

Name of the game!

Attachments
lz_albany_..buildup1.jpg
lz_albany_..buildup1.jpg (663.66 KiB) Viewed 477 times
---

Return to “After Action Report”