Hubert what's next?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

OldCrowBalthazor

RE: Hubert what's next?

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Wow.
Reincarnation must be real. Looks like #45 right here.......
Unfortunate Son

Post by Unfortunate Son »

Holy reincarnation Batman! I see the resemblance. Was this picture taken in 1865 or 1965?
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Unfortunate Son

Holy reincarnation Batman! I see the resemblance. Was this picture taken in 1865 or 1965?
That photo looks like #45 in 1965 to 1985. Alas the second time around he couldn't get into the army like the rest of the poor saps back in the 1960's. He was born with bonespurs this last incarnation. Could be karma.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

#45 Eerie, indeed in the photo of yesteryear.
Visiting Gettysburg gave me major gitters.
Gave Pickett major gitter also, "General, I have no division".

Planet Earth,
-EJR

Look now, look all around
There's no sign of life
Voices, another sound
Can you hear me now?
This is planet earth, you're looking at planet earth
Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop this is planet earth
God bless Robert E. Lee
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

While we're dreaming, an American Revolutionary War game would be interesting too. I still have my old copy of Avalon Hill's 1776. [:D]

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

While we're dreaming, an American Revolutionary War game would be interesting too. I still have my old copy of Avalon Hill's 1776. [:D]

This was such a well made game...one of the best Avalon Hill put out. I still think its tops over any other American Revolution era games that came out, at least at this strategic level. Mine got lost in a move..but there are some on the market. I may go shopping! [:)]

Anyway..yes, this conflict would be a great choice to develop.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Pow! The shot heard around the world. 1776. I had that game. Bought it, barely could read, the cover looked cool. My gaming group buddies were readers, they taught be all the games 3rd Reich, Squad Leader, US Civil War, War in the Pacific. We never got around to playing 1776.

But here's one we probably played dozen plus, multiplayer neighborhood games, Conquistador. Had too much paperwork calculations and the combat was stale. The exploration was the fun part, second half game dragged.

Startin' tomorrow only good things in life are going to come to me,
-EJR

There's a brand new day on the horizon
Everything's gonna be just fine
And the whole world's gonna be mine

Attachments
ccc.jpg
ccc.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 54 times
God bless Robert E. Lee
archmache

Post by archmache »

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

This was such a well made game...one of the best Avalon Hill put out. I still think its tops over any other American Revolution era games that came out, at least at this strategic level. Mine got lost in a move..but there are some on the market. I may go shopping! [:)]

I agree ...

It could start off in 1775 with players having to make strategic and tactical choices. Kind of like a long drawn out mulligan and deployment phase. In this players would vie for Native American allies, Old World help from Spain, France, or Germany etc, loyalists states vs ones that would "rise" immediately, and where the constitution was signed and finally where the first "shot heard round the world would occur." This would be phase one. Even something like spies could be placed and location of gunpowder.

Phase two would be the initial fights, building the armies, English arriving on NA shores, skirmishes.

Phase three would be the climax with wars in the North and the South states and even west of the appalachines and into New England and Canada. Now that I think about it this could be a fun game.
archmache

Post by archmache »

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

Pow! The shot heard around the world. 1776. I had that game. Bought it, barely could read, the cover looked cool. My gaming group buddies were readers, they taught be all the games 3rd Reich, Squad Leader, US Civil War, War in the Pacific. We never got around to playing 1776.

But here's one we probably played dozen plus, multiplayer neighborhood games, Conquistador. Had too much paperwork calculations and the combat was stale. The exploration was the fun part, second half game dragged.

Startin' tomorrow only good things in life are going to come to me,
-EJR

Everything's gonna be just fine
And the whole world's gonna be mine

Out of curiosity ... do you end ever post with a new quote or poem? How do you have so many of those memoried?
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: archmache

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

I agree ...

It could start off in 1775 with players having to make strategic and tactical choices. Kind of like a long drawn out mulligan and deployment phase. In this players would vie for Native American allies, Old World help from Spain, France, or Germany etc, loyalists states vs ones that would "rise" immediately, and where the constitution was signed and finally where the first "shot heard round the world would occur." This would be phase one. Even something like spies could be placed and location of gunpowder.

Phase two would be the initial fights, building the armies, English arriving on NA shores, skirmishes.

Phase three would be the climax with wars in the North and the South states and even west of the appalachines and into New England and Canada. Now that I think about it this could be a fun game.

Indeed as well! Have you guys played Birth of America 2 from Ageod? It has a lot of this but a SC game would be ever better!
Raptor341

Post by Raptor341 »

Well for starters I think we should get an expansion pack for the current SC games.

1) Fix naval warfare
2) Fix supply (supply needs be totally revamped in my opinion!)
3) Differentiate Unit combat (i.e. army should function different than recon besides just stronger unit values)
4) Fix map interactions (for example Stalingrad and Leningrad should really be 4 hexes and you should need to take all 4 to "take the city" - same thing with NA supply should be determined based on "sea control" somehow with # and strength of naval units etc to mimic supply. Additionally operational zones need to be added to prevent moving stuff from east to west in one turn. Also need to add localized moral so that if you take or retake a city it effects units with x hexes to mimic routs and tactical victories or whatever. This is a real gripe I have that the Russian front is so big yet it does not feel tactical at all .. its just three lines to the big 3 cities. Something like Kursk battles have never showed up in my MP games.)

I think SC is good - so good that it is in fact the only video game I play but it really needs to get overhauled b/c as I play it more instead of getting deeper into the game and learning more Strats I just start to see gimmicks etc.

For 1) Naval Warfare
- if they fixed this they could release an official WiP game for $50 or whatever and people would buy it. Then port those good naval changes to the rest of the game.

/rant over

These issues +1. Operational moves need to be limited based on rail/road/air logistics availability, not on a set cost per unit. Being able to move a whole army from one front to another in a single turn is just insane, and really can be gamed. As well, oil (fuel) and manpower need to be tracked. With just a bit more depth the SC series could be so much more than it is now - in my opinion the only thing holding the series back is that it is lacking some realism in these areas that can lead to issues.
nnason

Post by nnason »

I am a wargamer who started back in the early 1960's with Avalon Hill Tactics 2. I have been playing SC since SC2. I managed the SC WiE tournament for several years. In my opinion, SC WiE is one of the best if not the best strategic WWII war game. That being said there are some changes I would like to see and I would gladly pay $50 or more.
Changes I would like to see:
1. A system that makes multiplayer games easy. (i.e. more than one person per side.) You can do this now but very very clunky and easy to cheat.
2. The map scale and variable turn lengths in WiE are much better for the fluid ground warfare of the eastern front than the scale and turn length in WaW. Most of the comments over the years have favored adopting the WiE scale to WaW. The variable turn lengths do an excellent job of simulating the difficulties of winter warfare. Obviously, in the tropics and for naval warfare this is not needed. But this needs to be retained for land warfare at least for the eastern front in some manner. Perhaps a compromise, by-weekly turns with a drag factor applied based on the weather and location to movement, air ranges, and supply. For example: for MUD in the USSR a 50% reduction whereas for SNOW a 35% reduction. The games already do this but adjustments would be needed to account for eliminating the variable turns.
3. Yes we would all like to see improvements in Naval warfare. Many have commented on this and there are some good ideas and mods that could be incorporated.
4. Supply works in WiE and has been improved markedly over the years. I still have a hard time figuring out how making changes to my HQs locations will affect supply. An improvement here would be to be able to move HQs around to test the results (modeling) before having to actually move them.
5. Given the grand scale of WiE and WaW I don't think stacking is needed.
6. Other game systems work for different ages and scales. Focus on the scales (grand strategic) and age (WWII) that SC has done so well.

No matter what is done Hubert and Bill deserve a round of applause. Here Here!!!

P.S. I wish my skill at this game matched how much time I have put into playing it. 😁😁
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
ElvisJJonesRambo

Out of curiosity ... do you end ever post with a new quote or poem? How do you have so many of those memoried?

Greetings archmache,

Haven't really thought about it.
From age 5, I've always used the KJV for my entire library.
Did read the Great Escape.
Loved Elvis from the first time up to this very day.
Grew up on Old Country.
Watched mostly Westerns.
Traveled for many years for work, on the road.
Rambo & Reagan, Top Gun, Wall Street, Aliens, One Eyed Jacks, Shane, Gunsmoke.

I'm Just Me,
-Legend

Down at the railroad station there's people gettin' on
Some are a goin' north some are a goin' south I'm just goin' to be gone
Some people are born to be takers others just wanna give
Some people live just to love but I just love to live
For I was just born to be exactly what you see
Nothing more or less I'm not the worst or the best
I just try to be exactly what you see today and every day I'm just me

Attachments
gorge.jpg
gorge.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 55 times
God bless Robert E. Lee
Illiniwek80

Post by Illiniwek80 »

ORIGINAL: eriador08

I must disagree in part, Elvis. I am from Europe and know some people who would love a Civil War version. [:D]

Americans killing each other. What's not to like?
Personally, I would KILL to see a good American Revolution strategic game. There is one in the works, but I'm not convinced it isn't vaporware.
ElvisJJonesRambo

I'd be interested in a 'Rapture to Return' game. Game starts out with ~5% of population lifting away. Leaving 95% to behind. Two sides are Gog, Magog, kings of East, and Anti-Christ. Battle on the Temple Mount of course, is limited in first 3.5 years. Nations will be driven by the False Prophet or the other side 144,000 true Kingdom Zionists. Conventional weapons mixed with swords, and shields. All kinds of things flying around, stinging. Map shrinks throughout.

God bless Robert E. Lee
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

I'd be interested in a 'Rapture to Return' game. Game starts out with ~5% of population lifting away. Leaving 95% to behind. Two sides are Gog, Magog, kings of East, and Anti-Christ. Battle on the Temple Mount of course, is limited in first 3.5 years. Nations will be driven by the False Prophet or the other side 144,000 true Kingdom Zionists. Conventional weapons mixed with swords, and shields. All kinds of things flying around, stinging. Map shrinks throughout.

Well this is definitely a high fantasy sword and sorcery scenario with steampunk and science fiction added!
Perhaps the Mahabharata epic could be included on the list too. Creatures of Light and Darkness contending on a global stage...whats better than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ

I know what side I want to play.

Attachments
BreatheAn..tResize.jpg
BreatheAn..tResize.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 54 times
calcwerc

Post by calcwerc »

I hope the team stick to what they are really good at: First and second world war.
Even though the great strength of the game is its simplicity (compared to Paradox or Gary Grigsby), I still would love an even bigger map for the world war campaign, with more space in Russia and France and other theaters.
I would also like that some of the units where attachments (not upgrades or units), like antitank, heavy artillery etc.
I would love it if operational costs where not mps but a pool on its own, based on infrastructure / transport capacity.
And it would be great if commanders could be given directly to units, like Guderian leading a panzer group.
The UI could be improved, with more information about scripts and events by clicking on countries, for instance on the diplomacy map or in a wiki map mode.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater
Thanks gentlemen, and while we are working on a few things that we believe will be of great interest to this community, we are just not quite ready to announce anything official just yet. Hopefully soon enough though [:)]

Always the tease. I love the consistency, even after 20 years. [:D]
Bill Macon
Strategic Command Developer
Empires in Arms Developer

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”