Tutorial

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HeadlessHessian

Tutorial

Post by HeadlessHessian »

Purchase the product, it says :"As mentioned in section 1.1 Manuals, above, if you’re new to War in the Pacific, Admiral’s
Edition™ and want to dive right in, please refer to the Tutorial Guide that is placed on your hard
drive when the game is installed"

it is not there!!! There is no tutorial anywhere in that directory. Where can I get this? I've tried to work with this game but it is quite overwhelming so a tutorial would be quite nice to have....
Platoonist

RE: Tutorial

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: HeadlessHessian

it is not there!!! There is no tutorial anywhere in that directory. Where can I get this? I've tried to work with this game but it is quite overwhelming so a tutorial would be quite nice to have....

Sadly, it's not there. I think it was planned to have one, but it was never implemented.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I suggest that you read through the manual and start with the Coral Sea scenario. If you start an AAR, you can ask for help and advice there. There is a lot of useful information on the forums but take notice that with the various updates, things have changed from the manual so you would have to read the patch notes as well.

Here is a good thread to read through:

FAQ / Info for Newb's

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Well, it is a decent, reader-friendly manual covering a diverse range of topics, but in its inclusiveness the manual also includes some deceptive info, the tutorial bit being one piece of it.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

As a newbie myself I recommend the following:

Read the manual in it entirely (took me 2.5 weeks YMMV)
Start the Campaign game as the Allies and follow Kulls excellent Allies spreadsheet, it is more like a hands on tutorial than anything else.

I have learned a crap ton from those two recommendations. The manual will really answer 60-70% of basic questions and Kulls spreadsheet 20% more plus reinforcing what the manual taught you. The other 10% I think you’ll learn in PBEM.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

Macquarrie1999

Post by Macquarrie1999 »

I would play the Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios first. The main campaign is just too much to manage without knowing the game a little bit.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

I think the first series of vids is very useful for someone coming freshly into the game.

The next two series contain some errors here and there, but after you use them to get into the game you'll sort out what those are, so on balance still useful.
"I am Alfred"
HeadlessHessian

Post by HeadlessHessian »

thanks for all the great comments, sad that so many years after it came out there is still no tutorial. Anyhow, I headed to youtube and taking a peek at those tutorials there, perhaps those are great. cheers all and thanks again
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: HeadlessHessian

thanks for all the great comments, sad that so many years after it came out there is still no tutorial. Anyhow, I headed to youtube and taking a peek at those tutorials there, perhaps those are great. cheers all and thanks again

I don't want to get into a list of things in those videos to be wary of, because they are mostly good, but there is one thing early on - do not use the xAK Mount McKinley to help transport a BF around Alaska. Send it straight to Vancouver or Sea-Tac before the IJN subs arrive to impose their full court press. It converts to a 5400 capacity C2 Lassen class AE. You don't get many and they are a critical asset when you go on the offensive later on.
"I am Alfred"
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Coral Sea and then Guadalcanal are best tutorials for game mechanics. Amusingly, I never played either...straight to Grand Campaign... Good thing about AI is that it does not get angry if you re-do your turn or go even further back when realizing a mistake.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Coral Sea and then Guadalcanal are best tutorials for game mechanics. Amusingly, I never played either...straight to Grand Campaign... Good thing about AI is that it does not get angry if you re-do your turn or go even further back when realizing a mistake.
I did the same--straight to the monster.

Best advice I received was play as the Allies first, and try to do one thing fully per turn. For example, break the game down to theaters and do the most pressing theater first and ignore the others for a day or so. Eat the elephant one bite at a time until it becomes easy.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”