Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive - New Patch v1.01.00

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

NotTooBad

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive - New Patch v1.01.00

Post by NotTooBad »

Welcome.
Thank you for playing Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive™! We are always looking for ways to improve your gaming experience. For the latest information on the game, please go to the Matrix Games web site.

Below you will find the latest and greatest information on Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive™. Information in this document supersedes that in the official game manual.

Troubleshooting:
Ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements. These are found in the game manual. Also, ensure that you have the latest video and sound drivers available for your system. The vast majority of reported problems are resolved by upgrading all drivers to the latest versions.

If you are still experiencing problems with the game, please use our Ticket System or post in the Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive Support Forum. Please provide as much detail on your issue as you can.

To obtain optimum game performance, close all other applications before beginning a game.

A new patch (v1.01.00) for Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive has been released, and you can download it here

Change History:
v1.01.00 - 04th January 2022
• Probe is now receiving propper +150% Hitpoint bonus.
• Battlegroups now receive propper -15% on attack scores.
• Fuel bug with quite massive underconsumption is fixed.
• Fixed odds calculator for attacks from different height levels.
• Fixed landscape mouse-over for infantry att/def penalties (was using mortar instead of regular inf before)
• Improved logging in detailed combat window if an individual is firing on unseen positions
• FOW shading is now applied if hex hide >= hex effective recon instead of the old if 1 > effective recon
• If a unit has 6 or more different movement types some of them are grouped to not distort the user interface in the right side bar.
• Reworked the unit and hex right sidebar to be completely compatible with screen resolutions between 768 height and 800 height.
• The Integrity score in the bottom part of the UI gives a very comprehensive mouse-over now. This mouse-over includes info on the TOE of the unit.
• Improved the right sidebar unit weight & carry breakdown to handle some special cases better (horse and weird mix of carry and weight troop types (warnevada bug))
• Fixed a crash when you click on a HQ (link below unit name) of a unit that had not yet been deployed to map
• Fixed OOB tab to also show off-map HQs (and explicitly not crash when clicked upon)
• Showing unit’s total raw recon, zoc, stack and power points in unit sidebar now
• Additional rule: When it concerns regular combat the “max attacked” stat of an individual (if it concerns the defender) is increased by concentric bonus, increased by low readiness (max 3 times), doubled if individual is retreating, tripled if its attacked by enemy that is capable of doing (indirect) ranged fire. This additional rule will help you squash tiny but strongly fortified remnant units.
• Additional rule: If a unit retreats normally but the survivors are less than 50 power points breaking will be possible as well. Chance is linear thus at 25 power points of survivors there is a 50% chance that a BG breaks or a non-BG will have to pass the breaking rules. This additional rule makes small leftovers disappear faster and makes forming small BGs more of a hazard.
• Fixed engine problem that was not taking into account reduced supply request standard order.
• Revised rule: March mode doubles readiness expenditure, but maximum to 30 rdn per 100AP spent. Meaning in practice that only vehicles spend some more rdn when they have to drive further.
• Clarified rule: Troops that get transported by other troops get the unmodified rdn loss of their transporters. Meaning in practice that transported infantry by truck will get -10 rdn and not -30 rdn per 100 AP.
• Battlegroup/KG units can now be disbanded as well
• Made some fixes to canyon drawing option from height map library, however it will not be able to draw all possible situations still.
• Enemy supply prognosis (supply tab) now correct (it used to be presented to positive for the enemy)
• All scenarios version 1.0e;
• Updated libraries, maps and pdf;
• (Wacht scn) Revised KG Sandig,Hansen,Knittel disposition;
• (Wacht.scn) 2.Pzd,116.pzd,Pz.Lehr idle first turn;
• New German flag on maps;
• Fixed some maps names: (Clervaux,Mageret,Luzery,Targnon,Ortheuville,Bérismenil);
• Fixed Our River on Campaign map (medium);
• Fixed some German trooptypes descriptions;
• Added 5 recon points to all Armored Cars (new library 43);
• Campaigns Fuel Cards cost/delivery revised ( 50% / 40.000);
• German Trucks Card now with 80 trucks;
• Revised KG composition (more balanced tanks/troops/vehicles);
• Fixed 2.Pz.Division late 44 symbol;
• Fixed siluets for Bren Carrier, Humber,M8Scott;
• added more divisional symbols (BR 52nd, US 36,45,79,100,103,6c,20c,21c).
altipueri

RE: Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive - New Patch v1.01.00

Post by altipueri »

Great thanks - downloaded and will try later.

Just two requests.

1. Can you introduce two easier levels of difficulty for those of us who are just not very good?

2. Can you introduce a "do nothing" phase for when the human player is second - so that I can see the pre start set up?

Thanks

Bonus request:

3. Can you introduce a random scenario generator to add variety from historical starts/finishes/objectives ?
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

n/a
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

ORIGINAL: altipueri
Bonus request:
3. Can you introduce a random scenario generator to add variety from historical starts/finishes/objectives ?

Now this is interesting; certainly works great for ATG, Shadow Empire, & a few other un-named products.
Tempest5

Post by Tempest5 »

Thank you.
garga3

Post by garga3 »

Hello,

Please test: Main german scenario, select the tiger 2s near Loesenheim and attack the closest recon. Possibly reattack,

I made like 10 attempts. In 2 small engagements(total taking 40 AP or 2.4hours both); losses were 1-5 Tiger 2s (average 3), Of which normally mostly were ATT. ACCIDENT; some MEC. BREAKDOWNS(seems ok compared to the 0.6% per 10 AP); very rarely unlucky bazooka hits. While the mec. breakdowns and combat losses seem reasonable, there is absolutely no reasoning for the artificial ATT. ACCIDENT. On top 3/22 is 14% attrition in 2h of combat against stuarts and greyhounds ..(it can easily reach 23% in worst cases!). I strongly advise removing the ATT. ACCIDENT (not that it is documented anyways). I guess this is due to some random like 1% chance of ATT. ACCIDENT, but tiger 2 make a lot of hits, (most on counterattack!), more than 1 per round; so 1% easily transfers to these absurd losses. The mec. attrition should cover this type, tanks do not just blow randomly.

About the mec.breakdown 0.6% per 10ap translates to 13% breakdown chance per 6h of active combat. I do not posses real data, but it just seems to me this 13% is meant to be per day or even week, and that the port of this rule from another game didnt account for the time scale change, so i would challenge that (but i do like its existence; just please check the exact amount). Also it needs to be applied for all vehiles.

I didnt see any ATT. problems on allied side though, i guess the m4 and greyhounds are immune to any attrition. It could be me not testing enough, but i do think there is a small issue here too.

On top on the second combat in 3 out of 10 combats i had sdkfs and nachturpen just dying without reason. Just from nothing -> DEAD. That needs checking. Thats all the data i can give as that is all the logging the game gives to us. (request: please let us export/save the combat logs as it is in some other dc variants).

Overall conclussion: I really welcome the recon; bridge and fixes changes, but at the moment the combat at least for me is an unplayable mess. I also do not like sneaky changes like the ATT. ACCIDENT which apply only to one side. (also if mec. breakdown applies only to one side it is again no good - please set some values for all vehiles; or can we set this?).
JacquesDeLalaing

Post by JacquesDeLalaing »

Excellent paatch! Thank you! :)

One thing that I still find very problematical is that you cannot force a unit to use a direct path to an adjacent hex. If there is a road, your unit automatically takes that road, even if it is a far more dangerous path. In other games, this is usually solved by shift/alt+click.
carll11

Post by carll11 »

ORIGINAL: JacquesDeLalaing

Excellent paatch! Thank you! :)

One thing that I still find very problematical is that you cannot force a unit to use a direct path to an adjacent hex. If there is a road, your unit automatically takes that road, even if it is a far more dangerous path. In other games, this is usually solved by shift/alt+click.

+1...
carll11

Post by carll11 »

ORIGINAL: garga3

Hello,

Please test: Main german scenario, select the tiger 2s near Loesenheim and attack the closest recon. Possibly reattack,

I made like 10 attempts. In 2 small engagements(total taking 40 AP or 2.4hours both); losses were 1-5 Tiger 2s (average 3), Of which normally mostly were ATT. ACCIDENT; some MEC. BREAKDOWNS(seems ok compared to the 0.6% per 10 AP); very rarely unlucky bazooka hits. While the mec. breakdowns and combat losses seem reasonable, there is absolutely no reasoning for the artificial ATT. ACCIDENT. On top 3/22 is 14% attrition in 2h of combat against stuarts and greyhounds ..(it can easily reach 23% in worst cases!). I strongly advise removing the ATT. ACCIDENT (not that it is documented anyways). I guess this is due to some random like 1% chance of ATT. ACCIDENT, but tiger 2 make a lot of hits, (most on counterattack!), more than 1 per round; so 1% easily transfers to these absurd losses. The mec. attrition should cover this type, tanks do not just blow randomly.

About the mec.breakdown 0.6% per 10ap translates to 13% breakdown chance per 6h of active combat. I do not posses real data, but it just seems to me this 13% is meant to be per day or even week, and that the port of this rule from another game didnt account for the time scale change, so i would challenge that (but i do like its existence; just please check the exact amount). Also it needs to be applied for all vehiles.

I didnt see any ATT. problems on allied side though, i guess the m4 and greyhounds are immune to any attrition. It could be me not testing enough, but i do think there is a small issue here too.

On top on the second combat in 3 out of 10 combats i had sdkfs and nachturpen just dying without reason. Just from nothing -> DEAD. That needs checking. Thats all the data i can give as that is all the logging the game gives to us. (request: please let us export/save the combat logs as it is in some other dc variants).

Overall conclussion: I really welcome the recon; bridge and fixes changes, but at the moment the combat at least for me is an unplayable mess. I also do not like sneaky changes like the ATT. ACCIDENT which apply only to one side. (also if mec. breakdown applies only to one side it is again no good - please set some values for all vehiles; or can we set this?).

wait what? Are you sure??
garga3

Post by garga3 »

Ops no, i am not, what i wrote is about the latest beta 1.01.01, not this one, posted it in the slightly wrong place.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hello,

This is the open beta v1.01.01 no? And not the v1.01.00? Could you share the scénarios version with us as well?
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

Okay missed my question was already answered. We are still evaluating said changes. But i advise you do read up on the dismal performance of the tiger 2s. Feedback is appreciated however and we ll take it along in the evaluations
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
garga3

Post by garga3 »

The bug with the dead units for no reason exists on 1.01.00 too.

I did exactly the same test, only on the second attack when also some arty supports the us recon unit it is happening. On the first attempt 2 sdfks and 2 rearguard just died from death (on the first combat no casualties, just 1 retreat). 3 out of the 4 did nothing in the combat according to logs (they didnt shoot or were shot at). The 4th was pinned in combat.

Similar things on 2nd and 3d test; first combat no issue, 2nd combat a lot of strange deaths. I have suspicions that it is some artillery effect(possibly what killed them is just not displayed?).

Wanted to play the game as the new changes should make it harder for the axis to completely overrun the us, but i guess i will have to wait until this thing is fixed. Cant just watch my troops die.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I did exactly the same test, only on the second attack when also some arty supports the us recon unit it is happening. On the first attempt 2 sdfks and 2 rearguard just died from death (on the first combat no casualties, just 1 retreat). 3 out of the 4 did nothing in the combat according to logs (they didnt shoot or were shot at). The 4th was pinned in combat.

Similar things on 2nd and 3d test; first combat no issue, 2nd combat a lot of strange deaths. I have suspicions that it is some artillery effect(possibly what killed them is just not displayed?).

Wanted to play the game as the new changes should make it harder for the axis to completely overrun the us, but i guess i will have to wait until this thing is fixed. Cant just watch my troops die.

I d like to verify this. But need a savegame and a sequence of steps to repeat. Could you please mail tovic@vrdesigns.net ?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Vic

I d like to verify this. But need a savegame and a sequence of steps to repeat. Could you please mail tovic@vrdesigns.net ?

Vic means: vic@vrdesigns.net
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Vic

Post by Vic »

@garga3
Thanks!
We found a glitch where some attacks were not logged. Calculations are sound, logs for attacks by individuals (unseen by player!) will return upcoming open beta early next week

best,
Vic
redwolf2

Post by redwolf2 »

Can I apply this over all previous versions or do I need the intermediate patches, too?
Marc1314

Post by Marc1314 »

@redwolf2 no you don't need any previous patches installed
pmarvin

Post by pmarvin »

Excellent game, Vic, and thanks for the patch(es). However, unless I missed it in your extensive list of changes, there is still no "unmoved units" utility!

I trudged 6 turns into Wacht am Rein as the Allies, having to repeatedly survey the entire map before ending each turn to be sure I didn't overlook units with unused APs. I could ignore the problem, I suppose, but the Allies desperately need to use every chance to bring up their rear-area troops. So which ones can move and which can't?
When zoomed in the player isn't sure his viewed "box" covers every area of the huge (and beautiful, BTW) map. To avoid missing anyone I had to zoom out, then click EVERY unit to be sure it wasn't among the yet-to-be-activated units with 0 APs. Interspersed among them were units with 9 on the counter, and full potential for movement. The tedium finally got to me, and I abandoned the game.
Potential fixes include: >a "next-usable-unit" key, to cycle quickly through those with at least, say, 40 APs left, >a graphic portrayal on the 2 most zoomed-out map displays, indicating with enhancement, say, of counter margins in some manner, >a clickable list of such units.
I want to play the larger scenarios, but won't until such a utility is in place...it's a non-starter for me. Thanks for your continued attention to this, on top of the other issues you've kindly addressed.
Pete Marvin
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: pmarvin

Excellent game, Vic, and thanks for the patch(es). However, unless I missed it in your extensive list of changes, there is still no "unmoved units" utility!

I trudged 6 turns into Wacht am Rein as the Allies, having to repeatedly survey the entire map before ending each turn to be sure I didn't overlook units with unused APs. I could ignore the problem, I suppose, but the Allies desperately need to use every chance to bring up their rear-area troops. So which ones can move and which can't?
When zoomed in the player isn't sure his viewed "box" covers every area of the huge (and beautiful, BTW) map. To avoid missing anyone I had to zoom out, then click EVERY unit to be sure it wasn't among the yet-to-be-activated units with 0 APs. Interspersed among them were units with 9 on the counter, and full potential for movement. The tedium finally got to me, and I abandoned the game.
Potential fixes include: >a "next-usable-unit" key, to cycle quickly through those with at least, say, 40 APs left, >a graphic portrayal on the 2 most zoomed-out map displays, indicating with enhancement, say, of counter margins in some manner, >a clickable list of such units.
I want to play the larger scenarios, but won't until such a utility is in place...it's a non-starter for me. Thanks for your continued attention to this, on top of the other issues you've kindly addressed.
Pete Marvin

The thing is you'll very very often will not want to move all your units. As units can only do intercept fire if they have AP left.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”