Sub vs Sub

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Tcao

Sub vs Sub

Post by Tcao »

I know in WW 2 there were only one or two incidents involve one submarine try to intentionally sink another submarine. So it is an exciting moment to see a sub vs sub action in WITPAE

Scenario operation Buccaneer
on Oct 26th 1943 a Dutch sub was sank by a IJN Sub. in an excitement I forgot to take a screenshot when the torp hit the poor SS KXII

But five days later, another engagement happened outside Rangoon. This time the Dutch sub SS KXI took a revenge for their fallen brothers. [8D]

[&o]
Platoonist

RE: Sub vs Sub

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: Tcao

I know in WW 2 there were only one or two incidents involve one submarine try to intentionally sink another submarine. So it is an exciting moment to see a sub vs sub action in WITPAE

Scenario operation Buccaneer
on Oct 26th 1943 a Dutch sub was sank by a IJN Sub. in an excitement I forgot to take a screenshot when the torp hit the poor SS KXII

But five days later, another engagement happened outside Rangoon. This time the Dutch sub SS KXI took a revenge for their fallen brothers. [8D]

Sub vs sub combat in the game is rare enough that even misses seem interesting.

In a feat I wish I could repeat from the actual war, the sub USS Batfish managed to sink three Japanese submarines in one patrol. She was kind of the USS England of the Silent Service.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

In late WWII in the North Sea (I think) a British sub tracked a German sub and working only on sonar bearings, with both subs submerged, sank the U-boat with a spread of torpedoes. That was the first sub-vs-sub sinking while both were submerged.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

In late WWII in the North Sea (I think) a British sub tracked a German sub and working only on sonar bearings, with both subs submerged, sank the U-boat with a spread of torpedoes. That was the first sub-vs-sub sinking while both were submerged.

Yes, U-864 became a rather unique victim of HMS Venturer off the coast of Norway in 1945. Apparently, to this day believed to be the only known instance of this happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-864
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

This was on the history Channel a while back....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

Nou nou, gaat het wel helemaal lekker met je -- Kenny Sulletje
spence

Post by spence »

Actually sub vs sub incidents were relatively common during WW2. In the Pacific approximately 17 IJN submarines were sunk by Allied submarines (one should remember that submarines were only surface ships that could submerge and still surface in those days) and a couple of American subs were sunk by IJN subs.

(figures taken from TROMs of IJN subs at Nihon Kaigun/combinedfleet.com)
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

In world war I , at least 4 royal navy subs were sunk by other submarines during the war. Whether both were submerged when that happened, I do not know.
Nou nou, gaat het wel helemaal lekker met je -- Kenny Sulletje

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”