Is Russia too advantaged?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
HarrySmith

Is Russia too advantaged?

Post by HarrySmith »

Hi all,
Just played my first PBEM of this game. I have played a good 50 games of WAW or more. A couple of observations I feel with this game.

The map size i love but perhaps the unit scale is too high ( basically same as WAW with double the area) Would a corp/Division level be better as per the new mod War in the pacific?

The Russians being able to build very cheap corp/army units compared to anyone else. Does this give them too much of an advantage? I played allies and feel I couldnt loose. Also being able to research inf weapons to level 3 compared to everyone else being level 2?

Research happens so much quicker than in WAW.
Regards
Harry
The Land

RE: Is Russia too advantaged?

Post by The Land »

ORIGINAL: HarrySmith

Hi all,
Just played my first PBEM of this game. I have played a good 50 games of WAW or more. A couple of observations I feel with this game.

The map size i love but perhaps the unit scale is too high ( basically same as WAW with double the area) Would a corp/Division level be better as per the new mod War in the pacific?

The Russians being able to build very cheap corp/army units compared to anyone else. Does this give them too much of an advantage? I played allies and feel I couldnt loose. Also being able to research inf weapons to level 3 compared to everyone else being level 2?

In this game Russian Corps and Armies have lower stats than everyone else's. When they get to Inf Weapons 3, they are as competent as everyone else's at Inf Weapons 2. Represents the Russian Army sucking until late game and then, post-1943, just having overwhelming quantity.
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
archmache

Post by archmache »

According to the forums and my limited PBEM games, playing against a good Axis player is extremely difficult. USSR will lose upwards of 100 units before the tide swings. The eastern front will only start caving when OKH has to operate units out to deal with North Africa, Italy, and Normandy invasions.

In regards to unit size I've found that the Army Group North, South, and Central are basically German spearheads that go to Minsk/Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad (much like history). Since supply is so atrocious German units rarely are more than 1 or 2 hexes away from a city (unless they are attacking another city). What I'm getting at is that the fighting is laterally concentrated not vertically (in WW1 games you have a line from north to south) but in this game its basically forward or backwards and what happens on the edges is irrelevant because supply is so bad. In view of this it makes sense to have Armies as a unit since so many troops would be concentrated near the supply centers. I would not be opposed though to introducing a division level unit between a garrison and a corps, but they would be so weak they would have to operate in low supply or something to make them worthwhile.

All in all though I think the Russians are balanced though.
HarrySmith

Post by HarrySmith »

Thanks for the replies, I am playing Axis now so I will see how that goes. The only thing with level 3 inf weapons for Russia is that Mechanized and shock armies have the same as Germany so at level 3 they will have an advantage and regular armies/corps at level 3 will be on par but are so much cheaper to produce. Playing Allies i was on the offensive with Russia by mid 42. Research happens so much quicker due to smaller intervals in time than WAW.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: HarrySmith

Thanks for the replies, I am playing Axis now so I will see how that goes. The only thing with level 3 inf weapons for Russia is that Mechanized and shock armies have the same as Germany so at level 3 they will have an advantage and regular armies/corps at level 3 will be on par but are so much cheaper to produce. Playing Allies i was on the offensive with Russia by mid 42. Research happens so much quicker due to smaller intervals in time than WAW.

Although the USSR can research Infantry Weapons up to level 3, only Corps and Armies can upgrade to that. Other unit types are limited to level 2, so they will be no better than their Axis counterparts.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Return to “Tech Support”