new patches and game balance

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

generalfdog

new patches and game balance

Post by generalfdog »

I know upon initial release most of us had some complaints about game balance mostly that Japan was too strong, so how do we think it has changed? personally I find it very good in its current form the earlier stages of the game are now more interesting without making it impossible for Japan, players seem to be trying different things since the allies can now reinforce areas early on. Also I really like changes to the air force in the latest patch. So bravo Alvaro and team!
AlvaroSousa

RE: new patches and game balance

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Thanks. I will thank the rest of my team consisting of me, myself, and I. They will greatly appreciate it.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

I agree, I find the game in a good place. Recent changes have helped a lot.

I like the change made to night movement. Twelve hexes opens up a lot of options for supply/resupply and night combat. And makes the "little moves" provide value - which drives more options and different outcomes to the game. ​

I also like the "Small Fleet" option as the game seems to be more spread out. Plus the changes to the DEI and the creation of the Defensive Infantry units. All of these seem to have slowed the game down - as was your stated intent. I think you hit the mark.

So I agree - Thanks Alvaro! And thank you to your testers that helped to make this happen!
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Testers are you guys.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

Alvaro sometimes me myself and I are the best team right? I run my own business and find that to be true all to often, good job Merry Christmas happy holidays
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Same back at you.

What I know is that everyone in my family that ever ran a business with partners had issues. So I hire out contractors when required but I will not have a partner ever.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Same back at you.

What I know is that everyone in my family that ever ran a business with partners had issues. So I hire out contractors when required but I will not have a partner ever.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
aalb1970

Post by aalb1970 »

I think the game needs more work/tweaking, especially the 1941 scenarios as the Japanese player.

Historically the Japanese began the conquest of the Dutch East Indies oil fields in February-March 1942 after the fall of Singapore. This timing is not possible in the game since the Japanese runs out oil after 2-3 turns. But the recent 1.00.05 patch removed the landing hexes adjacent to Batavia and beefed up the Dutch garrison on Java. I don't see how the Japanse player can avoid ending up with multiple fleets dead in the water and grounded air forces unless I'm missing something.
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

Although not matching the historical time, I think the change to the Batavia landing hexes is in a good place. You can no longer take the DEI on turn 1 and it forces Japan to face tradeoffs with moves. To avoid running out of oil and grounding planes (naval operations continue if the units are at sea when reserves run out-buying you a turn or two) a strong attack must be made on South Sumatra to get the Palenbang oil. Since there is not enough in Boreno alone to keep the Japanese war machine working, I see no other option than to go for Palenbang.

This larger commitment of resources slows advances in other directions and thus slows down the game as Alvaro intended. The screenshot below shows my latest turn one attack, which will generally provide the Palenbang oil to Japan just as her reserves are running out. However heavy ran caused this to approach to fail in my previous game - setting things back a few weeks.

Attachments
20220105_73452.jpg
20220105_73452.jpg (110.25 KiB) Viewed 381 times
aalb1970

Post by aalb1970 »

You need luck to capture the Bandar Lampur port in turn 1. And if you don't your landed units will be out of supply.

I did manage to capture Palembang in turn 2 in one playtest plus the Bandar Lampur port, but didn't receive any oil the next turn. The convoy route wasn't created. Maybe you need to kill the garrison in Cape Carot first before the trade route is created?
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

You can take Surabaya on the first turn and it will open the supply route.
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Check out YueJin's thread "Opening turn basics for Japan:"

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5029202

As he notes:
6)The most important part of turn 1 to do correctly. Land two divisions at Batavia and destroy the garrison there. The division that lands to the East of the city will have enough action points to occupy it. With Batavia being the only morale hex for the DEI they will surrender next turn giving you all their oil points completely undamaged.

[:)]
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

I have had good luck taking the port but I do take advantage of full bombardment and carrier air support, plus I land my strongest unit second on the friendly beach to keep up its effectiveness. And I resupply all three units with a destroyer before bringing in the rest of the naval support.

You bring up a good point about the convoy route. If the oil flows through Bandar Lampung then Japan must control the Sunda Strait for it to reach the Home Islands. So I am not sure if it is better for the Allies to camp the Dutch division in Cape Carot with better defensive terrain and try to hold the strait. Either way the odds are good Japan can have the oil flowing by turn four. Although I did fail in one game when Sumatra got hit by heavy rain.

Attachments
20220105_200657.jpg
20220105_200657.jpg (101.94 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

With a recent change, you can no longer land around Batavia. So I can see no way to capture the city on turn 1 - which was the intent of the change. This is why I open up the Palembang oil as it takes too long for me to get to Batavia. I am not saying it can't be done, I just don't know a way to pull it off.
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Gotcha!

Haven't played the Japs for awhile now.

But I did just check Surabaya and taking it does open the trade route on turn 1.
aalb1970

Post by aalb1970 »

I just did a quick test and you need to control Bandar Lampur AND the hex with the sea mine next to it in order to open up the 30 oil trade route from Palembang. After that the Japanese have a net oil surplus.

Regarding the Dutch East Indies I conquered Suerabaya and blockaded Batavia with naval groups from the 3 adjacent sea hexes in Turn 1. Still it took me until late February to force a surrender even though they were hammered with air strikes from 2 air groups and land attacks from 4-5 Japanese divisions. Maybe the blockade didn't work? Is there a way to check the supply status of enemy controlled hexes?

Attachments
wpp001.jpg
wpp001.jpg (106.85 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

You are spot on about the mine hex as that is the only feed to the South China Sea. Batavia is a supply hex so it never runs out of supply. You have to crush the defenders - sometimes quick, sometimes it seems to take forever.
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

you could also just take cape carot to get the oil
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

Yep - this is the approach I prefer. I have trouble pushing the Dutch division out of the strait - takes too long.

Return to “Warplan Pacific”