What difficulty level against AI

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

okeefe

What difficulty level against AI

Post by okeefe »

What do you guys pick for a good game? How much better would you say the AI is on slow movement, is it worth the wait?
billios65

RE: What difficulty level against AI

Post by billios65 »

Worth the wait yes, it is not minutes we are talking about here, I always use AI slow and not noticed any delays exceeding 30 seconds and that was one extreme case.
Tempest5

Post by Tempest5 »

ORIGINAL: billios65

Worth the wait yes, it is not minutes we are talking about here, I always use AI slow and not noticed any delays exceeding 30 seconds and that was one extreme case.
+1
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I use Normal Time / Challenging for the grand campaign and it seems quite good. Still the turn can take a long time in the grand campaign, but it is worth it as your turn take also a very long time.
Brakes are for cowards !!
FelixCulpa

Post by FelixCulpa »

I use the Hard setting. The US AI seems to use Intercept Fire more often which I think is more realistic given the performance of US arty at the time.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I use Normal Time / Challenging for the grand campaign and it seems quite good. Still the turn can take a long time in the grand campaign, but it is worth it as your turn take also a very long time.

Good advice and now my default settings. Still learning as I go.
Octavian

Post by Octavian »

I use challenging and slow speed and was able to win major victories on all small scenarios on both sides playing them for the first time (!!), which made me think of the strength of the AI. And a minor victory in St. Vith medium scenario, too.
Biggest AI problem seems to me: the ai sometimes retreats units too eagerly, if you go past them, especially true for choke points, cities and the like.

I have to admit, that I am very well known with the DC-series´gameplay. But anyway, I would advice to use at least challenging ai setting, if you have understood the game to a certain degree.
billios65

Post by billios65 »

Good advice, I agree that AI is too quick to abandon strong positions, perhaps giving non-attacking side more static roadblock type units would help slow human attacker. I will certainly be adding static units to all supply dumps.
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I am an experienced but not a fanatic DC player and I found the AI had holes and lapses in the small scenario set playing the German side and was able to get through each after at most a couple of attempts. Having said that I found Skyline Drive a challenge. I will play with higher difficulty from now on. I would not have been able to win any against a competent and determined human opponent, however. As the Germans, the challenge would be just too much. Maybe a rethink of victory conditions is in order. Like any good Zen player, I found the journey much more fun than the goal. Maybe a numerical scoring rather than an all-or-nothing victory could work. Having a lot of fun regardless and my respect for the DC series just keeps growing. Good job!

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”