Making the last Beta Official

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Maallon

RE: Making the last Beta Official

Post by Maallon »

Wow, is it Christmas already?
What great news! Thanks a bunch!
12doze12

Post by 12doze12 »

Christmas really came early for us [X(]

Can't express how happy I am to know this game is getting some extra love to the masterpiece it already is. [&o]
12doze12

Post by 12doze12 »

Christmas really came early for us [X(]

Can't express how happy I am to know this game is getting some extra love to the masterpiece it already is. [&o]

Edit: Oops I think my excitement also produced two replies but it's deserved [:)]
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Greetings !

To clarify the scope of the proposed new release for AE. This is what we're looking at:

1 - New/updated scenarios

2 - New/updated map

3 - Updated manual

4 - A few bug fixes (no enhancements)

That said, we welcome all input and will consider all suggestions. But this is NOT planned as a major redo of AE. This effort is primarily to update the game as sold, because that hasn't really happened in many years.

Joe, and whoever else helps, thank you. A few bug fixes will be fantastic. The new/updated map and scenario files will be great, nice to get them all in one place and available to all.

An updated manual will certainly help the new players and probably some of the not so new players.

Again, thanks for the work you and the members of your team will be doing
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Fantastic. Thank you all.
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

[&o]
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Joe, welcome news.

Some questions from me on this:

- Would you be able to share who from the original team is returning for this effort?

- In terms of "new/updated scenarios", what exactly is envisioned for this? User-made scenarios getting "official" badging, reworking of existing scenario set, totally new scenarios (or all three?)

- In terms of changes to the map, what exactly can we expect here? Is this tweaks, a la Andy Mac's recent work adding dot bases, or a comprehensive overhaul? Will the underlying art assets change?

- With regard to bug fixes, is there any consideration for elements of the code that were not implemented? Thinking here of aircraft rockets and the like that are evident in the game data yet not implemented.

Also excited to see "New Game Project Lead", looking forward to when you can tell us more.

I am doing the scenarios so as you would expect I will be polishing the 24 that are more or less done above based on my previous work posted to the forum - its unlikely the abandoned ones will make the cut as its too much work for me to do and get the rest ready

So the list above is the list I am working on for now if anyone has a scenario they have finished especially more small map scenarios happy to look at them I have 24 more or less done just needing polishing and testing

Andy

Thanks Andy, good to see this - gives a sense of the scale of work!

One comment from me - disappointed that the May '42 Start scenario is abandoned.

I wonder if this decision can be revisited. A significant challenge for newer players is managing the initial phase of Japanese conquest and the leg-work that comes with it.

A official scenario starting in May, prior to the Coral Sea, would be a much friendlier opening for newer players (regardless of faction) to adjust to wider campaign dynamics without the pressure of the DEI conquest, but will realistic opportunities for IJ expansion and Allied response (a la Coral Sea and Midway in the following 60 days).

Given the reduced price of AE on the store and influx of newer players, to my mind this would merit some reconsideration as it would synergize well to provide a campaign where the initial setup is significantly less daunting.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

No sorry I simply wont have time if someone esle wants to do it I will happily amend the AI but I dont have time for the primary research

This is about updating the scenarios I have already written not about new ones especially full campaign ones !!!
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

It was about 70% done when I abandoned it so if someone wants to pick it up and finish it feel free
DesertWolf101

Post by DesertWolf101 »

Wow - great news!

Thank you all so much!
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Wow.....

Attachments
Talk2.jpg
Talk2.jpg (128.9 KiB) Viewed 38 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I think the updated WITP:AE should ship with the altFont as the default font.

Absolutely agree it is 200x better!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

No, they were all showing "due 1". I didn't take a screen shot, unfortunately.

Edit - what your comment does suggest is that there are factors at play which might include where the pilots come from, how long they have been on vacation in reserve, possibly even where they are going to. Meaning that the sweeping assertion that you can "secure" no delay merely by using a group button is incorrect. So sometimes you get delays. Sounds WAD to me.

Great discussion guys! You both make good points. Maybe only the Devs can let us know!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I have some very positive news for you all today. Some of the original WITP-AE team members have volunteered to work on this final update for WITP-AE and I think you will all end up being very happy with the result. Please let these folks know that their continued work on AE is appreciated!

Joe Wilkerson, who was the project lead for the AE team, will be posting here soon to define the scope of what they plan to do and most of the future communications on this detail-wise will come from him.

Regards,

- Erik

Wow fantastic news!! Thank you Erik and team! A Phoenix rises from the ashes! [&o]
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I posted a challenge to the forum in the sub forum
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Joe, welcome news.

- Would you be able to share who from the original team is returning for this effort?

- In terms of "new/updated scenarios", what exactly is envisioned for this? User-made scenarios getting "official" badging, reworking of existing scenario set, totally new scenarios (or all three?)

- In terms of changes to the map, what exactly can we expect here? Is this tweaks, a la Andy Mac's recent work adding dot bases, or a comprehensive overhaul? Will the underlying art assets change?

- With regard to bug fixes, is there any consideration for elements of the code that were not implemented? Thinking here of aircraft rockets and the like that are evident in the game data yet not implemented.

Also excited to see "New Game Project Lead", looking forward to when you can tell us more.

Obviously it will be Andy Mac's updated scenarios and Andrew Brown's updated maps as they are two of the original Devs still updating the game and I could not agree more with this decision.

I just have one suggestion to throw in a wrench. Could Andrew Brown and MakeeLearn team up on the map? If it was Andrew Brown's map data and MakeeLearns map art that would be heaven. As much as I love and appreciate Andrew Brown's work and contributions his maps are more difficult to read in my opinion. Lots of yellows that blend in together. MakeeLearns map is what helped me get back into the game as far as being able to see things better and I think it would do the same for others. It reduces complication and clutter greatly and the terrain and units are easy to see and distinguish.

MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

To compare the readability I am posting two China pics side by side. Anyway just a suggestion. Either way I am happy and grateful and if not hopefully MakeeLearn will come back and update his maps to Andrew Brown's again! Cheers to all of you contributors and creators!

BELLUM PACIFICA:

Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (157.84 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ANDREW BROWN:

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Joe, welcome news.

Obviously it will be Andy Mac's updated scenarios and Andrew Brown's updated maps as they are two of the original Devs still updating the game and I could not agree more with this decision.

I just have one suggestion to throw in a wrench. Could Andrew Brown and MakeeLearn team up on the map? If it was Andrew Brown's map data and MakeeLearns map art that would be heaven. As much as I love and appreciate Andrew Brown's work and contributions his maps are more difficult to read in my opinion. Lots of yellows that blend in together. MakeeLearns map is what helped me get back into the game as far as being able to see things better and I think it would do the same for others. It reduces complication and clutter greatly and the terrain and units are easy to see and distinguish.

While MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

To compare the readability I am posting two China pics side by side. Anyway just a suggestion. Either way I am happy and grateful and if not hopefully MakeeLearn will come back and update his maps to Andrew Brown's again! Cheers to all of you contributors and creators!

I will vote no, I like the original artwork and I am used to it. Artwork can be updated with no problems by the user.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Double Post Delete.

Erik can we get the Matrix Forums updated and fixed too!? The laggggggggg and crashes [:D]
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

sorry, double post

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”