Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

zgrssd

Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding?

Post by zgrssd »

When going from DW1 to DW2, most of the core mechanics stay the same. So ever since the changes to Hyperdrive were announced I wondered - could DW1 be modded so people can see some of the DW2 ideas in action?

Say someone takes DW1 and modify it like this:
- Adds the new super-early hyperdrive, that does not make you a true interstellar civilisation but helps defense against pirates
- reduced sensor range
- trying to immitate the new research system
- Buffed independant colonies and worse early colonies

It would not be a perfect match, as there are some non-imitateable changes.
And I would definitely not be the one to make it

But would it be similar? A way for people to test if the new changes work somewhat in the old engine?
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=382690
Jorgen_CAB

RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding?

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

When going from DW1 to DW2, most of the core mechanics stay the same. So ever since the changes to Hyperdrive were announced I wondered - could DW1 be modded so people can see some of the DW2 ideas in action?

Say someone takes DW1 and modify it like this:
- Adds the new super-early hyperdrive, that does not make you a true interstellar civilisation but helps defense against pirates
- reduced sensor range
- trying to immitate the new research system
- Buffed independant colonies and worse early colonies

It would not be a perfect match, as there are some non-imitateable changes.
And I would definitely not be the one to make it

But would it be similar? A way for people to test if the new changes work somewhat in the old engine?

To be frank... by the time anyone did that and released it then DW2 would probably already be out so I don't think any if it is very realistic at this time.

There are already mods that do slow down hyperdrive speed by allot, especially in the early days... you should look at the DWU forums and see if you can find any of those mods.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

1. You can easily modify hyper speeds.
2. Same with sensor ranges.
3. Changing research is time consuming, but possible (within limits).
4. Bacon mod modifiers can buff independents now.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

There are already mods that do slow down hyperdrive speed by allot, especially in the early days... you should look at the DWU forums and see if you can find any of those mods.
Except the early hyperdrive is not a slowdown.

Granting you a early Hyperdrive with like 0.1 LY Range is a massive step up from "Newtowian Physics" even just in your home system.
DW2 Poll:
"Should the Civil and non-Combat Ships loose all or most of their weapon slots?"
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Granting you a early Hyperdrive with like 0.1 LY Range is a massive step up from "Newtowian Physics" even just in your home system.

Not sure what you are after, but there are mods that make the vanilla hyperdrives allot slower, including the initial ones. you also can modify range to simulate engines like in DW2.

But all in all I don't think anyone are going to put the time and effort into doing that at the moment. As I said, there are mods that to some degree does part of what you want.

You can also just mod it yourself, it is mainly just simple text files. I would take the bacon mod and do some modification to engines. Bacon mod also already buff independent worlds as well and you can buff them further if you like.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

Not sure what you are after, but there are mods that make the vanilla hyperdrives allot slower, including the initial ones. you also can modify range to simulate engines like in DW2.
I am not interested in slower hyperdrives.

I am interested in a earlier Hyperdrive with extremely limited range.
A in-system FTL, that is exists between "Newtonian Physics is all we got" and "I can go 20 LY".
I have no idea how much clearer I can be about this.
DW2 Poll:
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

I am interested in a earlier Hyperdrive with extremely limited range.
A in-system FTL, that is exists between "Newtonian Physics is all we got" and "I can go 20 LY".
I have no idea how much clearer I can be about this.

If you tried you could potentially do that with DWU by limiting the range of the hyperdrive, it would be the same thing... that was what I was trying to say... ;)
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

There are two ways:

Slower warp and/or small fuel cells (ok maybe three with low power reactors).

In RetreatUE the Warp Bubble Generator is 1250 speed. Just change it to 300 or so.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

A slower warp bubble generator would be about the only way to do this in DWU. As retreat1970 stated 300~500 would be more than fast enough to quickly traverse the starting system but take ages to reach anything outside it. You could also modify how much fuel it uses so that if you tried to long haul to another system you would run out of fuel long before you got there.
Intel i5 10600k oc@5.2 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3080 12gb FTW3 - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”