Unit/OOB naming & labeling

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

Rosseau

RE: Unit/OOB naming & labeling

Post by Rosseau »

The fact that the game is getting all this constructive criticism is really a positive. Especially as we have very well-versed users here that are obviously spending time with the game and looking to have certain areas polished up a bit more.

As for those who will not buy the game due to the current Unit/OOB naming, it makes perfect sense that they wait until modders like Oberst Klink, or the devs themselves, address the issues. No point in buying something that might annoy you. As for me, I am having a great time with the game and experimenting with the editors!

Best wished to all.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

I am not a English native speaker myself, but as far as I understood the wording and the meaning of all the comments, I cannot find any bashing of game or person.
We are here, because we have interest in the game and would like to see it being a winner.
I am sure, that everybody involved in the creation of the game worked with passion, but because the game is sim-like, these additional corrections should be made.
nanni

Post by nanni »

Davide, hanno ragione. To avoid misspellings, player confusion, gripes and inconsistencies, I suggest that you use the English language nomenclature, even for the German units.
However, be aware that the British Army and the US Army have different systems. In your answer, for example, you mention Royal Armoured Batallions for the UK.
There is no such thing. The British Armoured units were and are either descendants of Cavalry regiments or belong to one of the Royal Tank Regiments. In all cases, they do not use the term batallion. So what would be a British armored batallion is in fact a regiment - with the equivalent manpower of a batallion - called something like 11th Hussars or Royal Scots Greys or 2 RTR (2nd Royal Tank Regiment). On the other hand, the equivalent in the infantry would be 2 KRRC (2ND Batallion of a regiment called the King's Royal Rifle Corps, formerly the Royal Americans, by the way). So a British Armored Brigade would probably include, for example, the Blues and Royals and the Royal Dragoon Guards for the tanks, and the 4th Batallion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers as mechanized infantry. Administratively, all British armored units, both cavalry regiments and RTR, belong to the Royal Armored Corps. Finally, the British spell armored as armoured.
I have no idea what the German system was in detail, but my instict tells me to avoid complications and take the line of least resistance.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

The fact that the game is getting all this constructive criticism is really a positive. Especially as we have very well-versed users here that are obviously spending time with the game and looking to have certain areas polished up a bit more.

As for those who will not buy the game due to the current Unit/OOB naming, it makes perfect sense that they wait until modders like Oberst Klink, or the devs themselves, address the issues. No point in buying something that might annoy you. As for me, I am having a great time with the game and experimenting with the editors!

Best wished to all.
As mentioned earier, I am working on it. I am thinking of creating slides like I did for TOAW IV, see below.

Tutorial '41: tm.asp?m=4382552
Tutorial '42: tm.asp?m=4387818
Tutorial '42 - Editor: tm.asp?m=4401098
Tutorial '43: tm.asp?m=4390285
Tutorial '43 - Combat: tm.asp?m=4394374
Tutorial '44: tm.asp?m=4397183
Tutorial '45: tm.asp?m=4412329

Klink, Oberst
[left]My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Thanks again for reporting !
I take note and add to the list as i find already some other stuff to correct asap !
As you can see our priority is for the technical issue.
Sorry but the "team" working in this game is of two men, me and Vic, and both have also a daily work and family ;-)

Davide Gambina
- Pike and Shot Beta tester and Scenario Designer
- SSG Kharkov Beta tester and Scenario Designer

marcbellizzi

Post by marcbellizzi »

That's great to hear, thank you for taking this into consideration.
Scenario design: Donau Front: MC series
Mod w/ Mark Breed: AFNORTH/Berlin 85: MC series
scenario design: Squad Battles
lead scenario design team: WinSPWW2
scenario design/tester: SPWAW
member Wild Bills Raiders
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

Well, that will be a lot of work but
you can at lest remove 1st, 2nd etc numbers from German units and put those DOTS there like 1. Regiment, 2. Regiment with spaces between dot and name ;-)

I also tend to add numbers to battalions in same regiment as I don't like different units with the same names, but that's different story
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

With the last open beta patch (100_05) i fixed many issue but as you know all the units on the maps must be fixed one by one and for each scenarios!
Thanks for the feedback, hope asap to fine tune all !

Davide

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Khanti

you can at lest remove 1st, 2nd etc numbers from German units and put those DOTS there like 1. Regiment, 2. Regiment with spaces between dot and name ;-)

I also tend to add numbers to battalions in same regiment as I don't like different units with the same names, but that's different story
I'll try to have the German-US military glossary/dictionary ready by the 16th. The day, I do kid you not, I'll yet again be in uniform, but not for Wacht am Rhein; COVID19 support with the Army Reserves.

Klink, Oberst
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

I'll try to have the German-US military glossary/dictionary ready by the 16th. The day, I do kid you not, I'll yet again be in uniform, but not for Wacht am Rhein; COVID19 support with the Army Reserves.

Klink, Oberst

16th December? Wow, that short time waiting for it
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Klink, Oberst

I thought I'd have more time; but because the covid19 situ, it's yet another call. I'll have my laptop with me tough. I try my best to fix a PDF with the abbreviations I used in my localized trooptype library etc.

Klink, Oberst
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Klink, Oberst

I'll try my best, Kapitan Kloss ;)

Klink, Oberst
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

[:)][;)]

PS: about recce values in v100_05

Some recon values now are +5, some still missing
sdkfz222 6
sdkfz232 6
Pumas 6
Kubelwagen 0
M8 Captured 1
BMW 0
jeep 0
etc
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

[:)][;)]

PS: about recce values in v100_05

Some recon values now are +5, some still missing
sdkfz222 6
sdkfz232 6
Pumas 6
Kubelwagen 0
M8 Captured 1
BMW 0
jeep 0
etc
I'd add reece values for the motorcycle, jeep | Kübelwagen, M8 and British Humber armoured car, too.

Still experimenting with it, until Vic provides us with some sorta formula what the values do.

Klink, Oberst
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

I'd add reece values for the motorcycle, jeep | Kübelwagen, M8 and British Humber armoured car, too.

Still experimenting with it, until Vic provides us with some sorta formula what the values do.

Klink, Oberst
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Klink, Oberst
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

The standard recon value is 1, so adding 5 or 10 is already a big step !
I think Yes for all armored cars, bmw75 and sdkfz250 , but no for jeep and kubel, too many units had jeep or kubelwagen !

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: nikdav

The standard recon value is 1, so adding 5 or 10 is already a big step !
I think Yes for all armored cars, bmw75 and sdkfz250 , but no for jeep and kubel, too many units had jeep or kubelwagen !
OK, but for the Greif jeeps for sure.🤓

Klink, Oberst
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OK, but for the Greif jeeps for sure.🤓

Klink, Oberst
Gettysburg

Post by Gettysburg »

Oberst Klink,i wish you nice service days. I am in the army reserves to.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”