Begginer - somens questio

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GazBot

Begginer - somens questio

Post by GazBot »

Hello Chaps,

Im newly getting stuck into this monster but fabulous game.

Ive been getting to grips with the smallest scenario I can find (Op Bucaneer) and succeeding.

So far Ive installed Chem Kids Map MOD and plan leaving the rest alone until Im good enough to start PBEM'ing

That been said Ive noticed some basic issues Im running into;

1. I see in turn processing that loads happens which dont end up in the combat reports or Ops reports so you can get a good idea of whats happened through the turn.

2. Also its hard to track Enemy locations when you see them briefly during turn processing but then they disappear.

Is their any setting I can adjust to alleviate the two above???

Im guessing the WitP AE Tracker will help alleviate the lack of detail in the combat reports and Sig / Ops reports???? are their any settings that can improve this as well???

Are their any mods that say let you add an overlay of spotted / sigint units on the map??? or say add the sig int reports on??? its funny becasue with the sigint reports I can see these marry up for the bases and you can see the details from the sigint reports graphically for the bases but for say ship and plane sightings these do not seem to be able to be overlaid???? Is their any modes or game settings to enable this???

How about any modes that enable the hex numbers to come on as an overlay???

How do other players overcome these issues???

Cheers

GAz
Kull

RE: Begginer - somens questio

Post by Kull »

There's a tool called "Combat Reporter" which will probably help with questions 1 & 2. It is tricky to get it up and running, so read the thread carefully and make sure you understand what it does and how to get it working.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Tracker is a big yes. There's also Combat Reporter (but I haven't used that). A lot of the Operations report sightings are just noise. Sometimes I skim it quickly if I'm expecting something but otherwise ignore. I'm speaking from a Japanese player POV. When the sigint says there's a radio intercept at a non base location I always give that close attention. By tracking enemy locations do you mean the difference between what you see at night vs. what's available when you get the turn? I don't know any solutions but mental discipline. You don't want to slow the replay down, it's slow enough and can be interminable. Pay close attention in the replay to what his recon planes are doing and make mental notes. Sometimes I really have to scour the Ops report to see what planes were spotted overhead where anyway. I don't think there's a map mod with the hex numbers. Maybe somebody could make up an 8 1/2" x 11" map that just gets you into the neighborhood with the numbering as a quick reference you hang on the wall or tape to the PC box? A lot of things just take time and you'll get better.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Begginer. Is that a hybridization of beginner and beggar? [:'(]

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Kull

There's a tool called "Combat Reporter" which will probably help with questions 1 & 2. It is tricky to get it up and running, so read the thread carefully and make sure you understand what it does and how to get it working.
There is also a tool called Intel Monkey. witpqs is the guy who seems to have programmed it. I don't see it offered in the stickied area so PM witpqs about it.

As for momentary sightings of the enemy during turn execution, those are probably the type of detection where ships or aircraft see some shadows but are unable to make out what they are before they move away in the dark. It's part of Fog Of War (FOW). Detection has to reach a certain level before the icon for a detected enemy is placed on the map. See the manual for information on detection.

SigInt alone is usually not enough to make for an icon on the map. Be aware that in the early game when skill levels of pilots and crews are low, a lot of dolphins are reported as "six enemy ships near X headed NE" or something similar! I even had reports of enemy ships in the middle of US and Canada land hexes! If I think the SigInt might be a threat I can't ignore, I look in the Ops report for corroborating info. If the two agree there is something there, I send ships or aircraft to check it out.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

When you're Japanese there's no intel to monkey.

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

One thing I'd advise all new players. Don't bother with any mods. You don't need them to learn the game. The only thing I'd always say do is install Tracker but even that is not essential. Stick to the basics with the latest patches and read the manual and any forum guides as you play, These are essential as the manual is out of date after years of patches. Best scenario to learn on is Coral Sea.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

And of course, welcome aboard....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
There is also a tool called Intel Monkey. witpqs is the guy who seems to have programmed it. I don't see it offered in the stickied area so PM witpqs about it.

Is there a thread for this somewhere that could be pinned?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Maallon

Post by Maallon »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regards,

- Erik

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4376711
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regards,

- Erik
Erik,

There is, see my sig below.

There is also a current problem in that, after the current version was already out for several years, gradually virus engines began flagging it just because it's packaged as an exe, both the installer and the run-time. I had it on Google Sites, but they eventually started (randomly) allowing it/not allowing it/allowing it, etc.

So I need to get it moved over to Github, remake the installer (it uses NSIS, like everybody does), get it digitally signed (which will cost $$ per year since I don't have a relevant signing key otherwise).

It's written in Python. I can certainly make the source available to anyone but they need to install Python, and the point of packaging in an installer is to accommodate the technically challenged.

George

PS: Great seeing you around! [:)]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this yet, and certainly don't want to be accused of insulting anyone by repeating something already stated while claiming it wasn't.........

There are additional Reports in the Save folder that are not readily accessed through the game interface that may provide the information you seek without the hassle of a difficult addon install.
Hans

Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
There are additional Reports in the Save folder that are not readily accessed through the game interface that may provide the information you seek without the hassle of a difficult addon install.

So these reports provide an overlay for the map, first time I heard this. But for sure you are an expert and can explain how this works.
[:)] Thanks[;)]
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

One thing I'd advise all new players. Don't bother with any mods. You don't need them to learn the game. The only thing I'd always say do is install Tracker but even that is not essential. Stick to the basics with the latest patches and read the manual and any forum guides as you play, These are essential as the manual is out of date after years of patches. Best scenario to learn on is Coral Sea.

How does this answer help the OP who needs/wants (me too btw) a map overlay for intel/events/combats etc. [&:]
Can you provide more details to make this work I would be thankful too not only the OP I guess...[:)]
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

How does this answer help the OP who needs/wants (me too btw) a map overlay for intel/events/combats etc. [&:]

Combat Reporter will do that. I just installed it this morning and was surprised at how simple that was. I've always been a firm proponent of the need for Newbies to ignore mods and eye candy and to just focus on learning the game first. But this app is different, as it groups all those text reports into categories (sigint, land combat, coastwatcher reports, etc) and overlays them on your map. Surprisingly helpful, even for a veteran player.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Surprisingly helpful, even for a veteran player.

Cool sounds good, I wonder however if this is possible like Hans stated. He says one does not need an additional program.. cause I heard this the 1st time.

I am sure he will explain it to us [:)]
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77
Surprisingly helpful, even for a veteran player.

Cool sounds good, I wonder however if this is possible like Hans stated. He says one does not need an additional program.. cause I heard this the 1st time.

I am sure he will explain it to us [:)]

I think we can give Hans a break. I wasn't thrilled about being called a liar, but "forgive and forget and move on". He's made a number of contributions to the forum and usually tries to be helpful, so lets focus on the positives!
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

I agree.

He shall explain his helpful tipp for a beginner and myself and we can give him a "rest" :)
I am REALLY curious I looked for the solution that Hans has a long time already and will gladly "forgive and forget" if he provides an adequate answer. (here map overlay without add on like he stated)

Meanwhile I check your tipp too [:)]
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

When you're Japanese there's no intel to monkey.

Was this some kind of joke or does this monkey really not work for the good guys aka the only righteous god approved empire in the east??[:(]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'm growing weary of being falsely accused of calling someone a liar and will most surely file a complaint regarding this personal slander.

I made no reference herein to map overlays. I simply pointed out that the game includes additional reports (meaning text files) that are not accessed through the game interface that MAY provide help.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”