Anti-Air Question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JorMallester

Anti-Air Question

Post by JorMallester »

Hello!

I have read that DP guns protect the whole task force, while AAA guns just protect the ship they are located on.

Let's say I have an Amphibious TF with just AK's and a Surface Combat TF with a CL and a couple of DD's with good DP Guns. This Surface Combat TF is following the previously mentioned Amphibious TF at a distance of 0.

If the Amphibious TF were to come under air attack, would the DP guns of the Surface Combat TF have any effect in the defense of this Amphibious TF (assuming they are in the same hex, but in separate TF's), or do they only have an effect on ships that are attacked within the Surface Combat TF itself.

Sorry if this sounds silly, I am just wondering if it would be better for me to merge these two imaginary TF's or keep them divided.

Any feedback is welcome!

Thank you for your time!
Alfred

RE: Anti-Air Question

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: JorMallester

Hello!

I have read that DP guns protect the whole task force, while AAA guns just protect the ship they are located on...

Not correct.

There is no separate DP combat routine. A DP device operates under the flak routines when used in an surface-air role, and the naval gun routines when used in a surface-surface role.

Alfred
btd64

Post by btd64 »

DP = dual purpose. AAA and surface....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
JorMallester

Post by JorMallester »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Hello!

I have read that DP guns protect the whole task force, while AAA guns just protect the ship they are located on...

Not correct.

There is no separate DP combat routine. A DP device operates under the flak routines when used in an surface-air role, and the naval gun routines when used in a surface-surface role.

Alfred

Ah okay understood! It was something I read on a forum post from long ago, I may have even misread it.

As for the two task forces, would it be better to merge them? I understand this would be very circumstantial, but if I wanted a "Cover" force, would the AA values of this cover force still protect the followed TF?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hello!

Not correct.

Alfred

Ah okay understood! It was something I read on a forum post from long ago, I may have even misread it.

As for the two task forces, would it be better to merge them? I understand this would be very circumstantial, but if I wanted a "Cover" force, would the AA values of this cover force still protect the followed TF?
The follow setting of 0 just means the TF is in the same hex - which is 40 NM wide. TFs would likely never travel so close to each other that they could share AA support. Even within the same TF, AA support from other ships depends on gun range, the direction the guns face, the altitude of the enemy aircraft and perhaps weather.

You may have seen something about ships in port getting some support from the base AA, and DP guns would be part of that.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Dissecting the minute details of AAA is not the path to a solution here.

If you are relying on AAA to protect your ships they are already lost.

CAP and LRCAP are the paths to the solution.
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

At any rate, I think this is what you're driving at...

When a TF is attacked by air there're two AAA 'phases'. At first all the TF's AAA that is in range, defined by altitude, fires at the incoming planes.

Realize that a guns' 'range' is not strictly defined by its 'ceiling', the game allows 'leeway' so that players can't just put their A/C right above the guns' limits. Experienced players will normally place their attackers sufficiently above small AAA.

After this the individual ship under attack will fire its AAA at the attacking planes.

Under no circumstances will another TF in the same hex use its AAA to assist another TF in its hex.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

A targeted ship only fires those weapons it can bring to bear on the attacking plane. If the attack is from starboard, the port side weapons won't fire.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

A targeted ship only fires those weapons it can bring to bear on the attacking plane. If the attack is from starboard, the port side weapons won't fire.

Alfred
Perhaps something I should know but what influences the direction of attack and will TF maneuver when attacked.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Under the hood random and no TF maneuver. To have otherwise would be far too tactical and substantially increase both demands on CPU processing and combat resolution time.

The closest you get to a tactical TF maneuvering is in a surface combat when you see the message "xxx is crossing the T." Classical positioning for a broadside allowing both bow and stern turrets to potentially fire. TF leader has some influence on that outcome.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Thanks. I never read anything about so thought what you said was the case.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I think what you're referring to is the ceiling of AA guns matters. DP guns tend to be larger, but any AA or DP gun with a higher range/ceiling is more likely to provide AREA AA protection. Short-range AA guns only provide POINT protection, or protection for that specific ship (like 25mm guns)

So, those larger AA guns (which are often DP guns) are important for overall flak protection

It's also true as someone noted that flak alone isn't going to protect your ship

This is how I understand it.....

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”