War in the Pacific Release thread

OldCrowBalthazor

RE: War in the Pacific Release thread

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Regarding Capital Ship detrenching....yeah this will be interesting to see the effects. I have to say that in SC-WW1, I have used Entente DN's bombardment on entrenched Ottoman infantry on the Gaza front for example, with great effect. While not detrenching them, the poor Turks under the guns of repeated shore bombardment can suffer devastating morale hits. It sometimes is just enough, when then combine with land attacks...to dislodge them.

Have been rereading all the pertinent notes on this mod. The China A.O. looks very well done. One of my concerns early on with WaW was how weak China is against the Japanese. So...yeah...here, it doesn't look like China will be such a walk over.

Going to be doing hotseat both sides to get familiar with everything, particularly the naval element....which looks real interesting. ZOC's..good.

Also...Research changes and additions look real good. Also like the change with the pool of MPP's at start.

First test will be to make sure the PBEM server accepts the mod. It should.
However..we both have to have the exact version. One time last spring..when getting ready to multiplayer test a version of mdsmall's Balkan Variations Mod...he had made a miniscule change after sending his latest file. We couldn't get the server to recognize the mod...took a few days before he realized what had happened...sent me a new file with the added tweek... and off to the races we went. :)

Looking forward to rampaging with the Japanese. Maybe a flash in the pan, but who knows what can happen once the guns fire!
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

I basically exaggerated quite a few of my settings, for more obvious effect. If the sub ambush bonus of 50% is too strong, I can just dial it back. Likewise on shore bombardment or land bombers getting two attacks (in China may be overpowered. On a Pacific island may be underpowered). I will likely be reinventing the wheel as I notice stuff that Hubert's playtesters did several years ago.
OldCrowBalthazor

Looking real good so far...running hotseat both sides 20 hours +
Shore bombardment realistic. So far sub ambush seems ok.
China real difficult for the Japanese....perfect!
Malayan campaign opening up historical..

Weather around the equator hot humid wet, so bad...as should be. Very complex weather zones. Nice.

Next week should be clear for a pbem test.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

As PM'ed locked and loaded.
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

As PM'ed locked and loaded.
We just got a little more training to do....
No worries....We are coming! [8D]

Attachments
JapaneseP..resize.jpg
JapaneseP..resize.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

.803 9-20-21:
------------------

Revised some build times & costs (note anything which is not explicitly identified as a corps is considered as a divisional-level unit):

Special Forces 140 MPP
Infantry Corps 160
Cav Division 85
Cav Corps 170
Recon 75
Tank Corps 270
Mech Div 110
Mech Corps 220

Cav Div 3 months
Recon 3 months
Fighters 6 months

Changed the MPP cost for the 4 Shokaku choice from 200 to 350, 4 turns to 7 (since I had added a destroyer to the deal)

Changed the Japanese Industrial Technology bonus per level from 10% to 15% (since so little of their income is from non-convoys)
OldCrowBalthazor

Elessar2

PM'd password and some additional observations. Flight decks are full of planes and eager pilots. :)

Attachments
Master SC ..E - Copy.jpg
Master SC ..E - Copy.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 47 times
HarrySmith

Post by HarrySmith »

Hi Guys,
As the Strategic command games are my passion, i was wondering are you still after any beta testers for this Pacific game? Sounds a great game as a smaller scale interest me a lot. I was reading through some of your notes and as an Aussie, historically Australia produced aircraft, ships etc on quite a reasonable level. Therefore perhaps it should be more along the lines of India? I know Tech was used from both Britain and the USA for aircraft etc.

I was wondering if you where thinking also of a divisional/corps scale for Europe or the Eastern front?

Another thought I had was the Korean war or perhaps a more modern conflict like the Israel/Arab wars, cold war etc.
though variations/mods for the existing games sounds good.
Anyway just a couple of thoughts
Regards
Harry [:)]
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Yes, I have gone back and forth on Australia as indicated in my notes. If close allies could actually share tech, and not just get a piddly bonus while waiting X turns to finally get a level, I'd likely make the switch.

Right now Balthasor & I are about to begin one, but feel free to find another kindred soul and give it a go if you wish.

Oh, wayyy ahead of ya on Europe-I have started work again on the 20k Euro map, specifically trying to get all of the Russian locations down as best I can locate them. Already planned to be run with only divisions. Some screenies coming up there in a few minutes...
OldCrowBalthazor

Planning to feature the MP mod beta test (from the Japanese p.o.v.) on YT later on. Also going to do a couple of video tours of the mod and put them up sooner.

1st turn was epic! It isn't going to be easy taking down the Allies...but we have plans..yes we do!

Attachments
JapaneseM..rresize.jpg
JapaneseM..rresize.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Yes, there will be some AARs from this game, not to worry (I think we decided on a 3 turn lag).
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Woah very cool! OCB just informed me of this mod! Great work! Look forward to checking out the YT series!
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Note someone on page 1 wanted a playtest buddy hint hint. But don't start one until I make some quick corrections for tomorrow. Basically I need to bump up Russia's income in a major way, so Balthazor don't DoW on Russia-all of your DoWs note got them to 80%: I believe they'll stay there and not go to 90%+, but don't antagonize them w/ any more DoWs. [I think all of the historical Allied nations are now activated in any event. Note most would have come in next turn anyway.).

5 battleships sunk at Pearl, not bad. I wish the game modeled bottomed ships tho.
OldCrowBalthazor

Ok...won't touch the Soviets...tOo busy with other exotic places anyway :)

btw..in my 4 previous sandbox tests with bombing Pearl...only managed to sink 4 and damage another. However...my little gambit on Luzon didn't work out quite as well. No matter..we will have Manila soon enough.

Going to do a video featuring the map and some of the nuts and bolts of the mod. This should be done this weekend and go straight public. The match (test) I'll schedule later like we discussed..mirrored with your Allied p.o.v. AAR.

Pretty fantastic stuff here.

btw...revamped the YT thumbnail for the actual Mod MP beta test...as we discussed in a PM.

Balthazor vs Elessar rings clear as a bell. [:D]

Attachments
AWITPPBE..resized.jpg
AWITPPBE..resized.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Unfortunate Son

Post by Unfortunate Son »

Thought I would get in on the fun since Old Crow has been squawking up a storm about this mod. It looks really great.

I would love to take it for a spin myself but I have my own project to finish.

Can't wait to see Old Crow's video on this mod. [X(]
OldCrowBalthazor

Hey Unfortunate Son....Crows "Caw". Albratrosses "Skawk"...I think. [:D]

Elessar...I PMd you some observations about the Soviet mobilization triggers and all the DoW's Japan did after doing a quick late night test. This was a slight mistake mostly on my part as I detailed in the PM.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

.804 9-24-21:
------------------

Moved two US subs off of Guam and Wake (one came in on an event), one to Johnston Island the other to America Samoa

Gave Russia 2 oil wells and increased her Industrial Modifier from 60% to 70%.
OldCrowBalthazor

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

.804 9-24-21:
------------------

Moved two US subs off of Guam and Wake (one came in on an event), one to Johnston Island the other to America Samoa

Gave Russia 2 oil wells and increased her Industrial Modifier from 60% to 70%.
That's why we MP beta test! [:)]

Have 8.04 PBEM challenge on the server. Same password. Good luck Elessar!

Probably going to use the 8.03 recording (1hr 43min long) as the showcase of the mod. It gives a good feel of the scope..and shows how the ship ZOC works brilliantly when on of my subs blunders into a UK destroyer flotilla off Singapore..and a sharp action ensues! [:D]
OldCrowBalthazor

Have a 30 minute video that showcases the map and other details to this mod.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDtUmn77RcE

Attachments
AWarint..ECopy.jpg
AWarint..ECopy.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 47 times
OldCrowBalthazor

Here is a 1 hour and 43 minute Japanese first turn example playing MP vs Elessar with ver. 8.03. We are currently restarting a match with ver 8.04, which will go up in the future in an episodic way including a playlist.

Here is a link to this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3lP2eklBg8

Attachments
Warinthe..ECopy.jpg
Warinthe..ECopy.jpg (85.09 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”