[FIXED] How to properly use an AC-130 Spectre gunship

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

maverick3320

[FIXED] How to properly use an AC-130 Spectre gunship

Post by maverick3320 »

Perhaps it's just my ignorance, or possibly a limitation in the game, but I simply cannot get a Spectre gunship to auto engage targets. I understand (at least) three things are required:

1. Targets must be found/sighted
2. Targets must be within range of the weapons (105mm, 40mm, and 25mm)
3. Targets must be on the left side of the aircraft as it flies

Further, the aircraft must at a given altitude (I believe in the game it says 6500 AGL to 10500 AGL).

When I give the order to auto engage the gunship just flies around without firing. Even on manual mode I have difficulty getting targets in a zone where all the weapons can engage at once (they all seem to have different height/range requirements).

On top of that, I don't know how to get the gunship to loiter in a tight circle above a target, banked to keep the target engaged. The best I can do is cumbersome flybys where I hope the weapons turn green for a few seconds.

I don't think this is a scenario-specific issue as it's happened in all three of the scenarios with the platform that I've played.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
c3k

RE: How to properly use an AC-130 Spectre gunship

Post by c3k »

Are you turning towards the left?

;)
mikerohan

Post by mikerohan »

I'm also interested on tips for the best use of the AC-130.

I recall it makes an appearance in several of the Caribbean Fury scenarios and I always struggle to give it a proper use [:D]
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

We added a/c logics for "turning to unmask" side/rear-firing weapons quite a long time ago so it's probably not that.

We need a save file in order to take a look.
stww2

Post by stww2 »

I've had success in the past using auto-engage with the AC-130 (although I think I manually set the altitude). The flight path it uses tends to be rather inefficient, but it is still able to engage, or at least it was when I used it.

If it's a situation where I can afford to micro things, then I manually plot the course to enable the aircraft to circle around the target while I manually allocate weapons.

You can also use a support mission if you want the aircraft to loiter around a set area and then just manually allocate weapons, although the AI can sometimes not react well to being asked to make really tight turns, but otherwise it works.
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

Let me add another:

4. Doctrine must be set to allow A-G engagements with guns.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

We have identified an issue with the current side-strafing logic and will attempt a fix.
maverick3320

Post by maverick3320 »

Ha, yes, that was #3 on my list above!
maverick3320

Post by maverick3320 »

That's exactly where I'm at right now (Carribean Fury 3). I can get it to work occasionally, but it's guess and check and I have no idea what I'm doing right or wrong.
maverick3320

Post by maverick3320 »

Would you still like a save game? I'm at work now but can try and upload one tonight if I get time.
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

ORIGINAL: maverick3320

Ha, yes, that was #3 on my list above!

No, I mean in the doctrine settings. It won't fire unless the "A/G strafing (gun)" setting is set to yes. That might be why your AC-130 is not firing. That was my problem when my AC-130s would not fire. ;)

The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Try manually setting the altitude for the gunship (~2500m); it should be working out the best altitude on approach but seems to be having some issue.
Load this and run as an example.
Attachments
AC130engaging2.zip
(7.66 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Michael
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

This has been fixed in v1.04.

Return to “Tech Support”