Can't Move off the Beaches

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Harrybanana

Can't Move off the Beaches

Post by Harrybanana »

I don't think I have ever seen this before where a unit can not move off the beach into an empty hex. I know a corps sized unit in Rouen means it would cost me 3 OPs to move adjacent to it; but in my experience invading units have always been able to move 1 hex regardless of the presence of enemy ZOCs. So I don't think this is WAD. But if it is WAD then I think it needs to be changed. Otherwise the best strategy to foil an invasion would be to sit one hex back from the coast with small corps.

Attachments
InvasionBug.jpg
InvasionBug.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Robert Harris
stjeand

RE: Can't Move off the Beaches

Post by stjeand »

I have had that happen too...usually weather related along with a corp ZOC costing more movement.

Happens a LOT in WPP with the Jungle hexes.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

It is the turn you invade ? The rules of always able to move one hex apply to units that did not moved and maybe it cost more than 2 points to do the movement you want.
Next turn you will be able to move i think.
Brakes are for cowards !!
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

It was his turn to invade..

I just ran a test with the 1943 scenario...

It looks like you can not move into a ZOC. At least I could not with multiple landings.
Before I make my turn I need to know if that is correct or if it is a bug...because it would be nice to pin an infantry on a beach.

BUT I won't do that if there is a bug.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Stjeand is right; an invading unit cannot advance off the beach into an enemy ZOC. So the smartest thing for MM to have done in our game (read the AAR) was to leave Rome vacant. Then it would have been safe. Then on his turn he could bomb my units on the beach (where they take 3X casualties) and then on my turn my units would have been out of supply. By the way I think this latter may also be a bug that units on beach hexes are always out of supply even if adjacent to a friendly port.

In any event, if this is WAD than I think it needs to be changed as otherwise it can be exploited. Invading units should always be allowed to move 1 hex, even if into an enemy ZOC. Even better would be to give invading units 3 OPs (though maybe this can be exploited too).

Attachments
Bug2.jpg
Bug2.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Robert Harris
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

Agreed...There would be no reason to put anything in Rome or any port if you have a ZOC over it.

You can guard Italy as well as France with MANY less troops...just have to have a mech or armor in the center waiting to cover the invasion port.

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: stjeand

It was his turn to invade..

I just ran a test with the 1943 scenario...

It looks like you can not move into a ZOC. At least I could not with multiple landings.
Before I make my turn I need to know if that is correct or if it is a bug...because it would be nice to pin an infantry on a beach.

BUT I won't do that if there is a bug.

Go ahead and take your turn stjeand and pin my unit if you want. I think it is WAD, I just don't think it is right. The loss of this one unit won't be critical and I would rather lose it and continue the game then wait for an answer. I am enjoying the game too much.
Robert Harris
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I know how to fix this.

Yea if you attack the hex costs 1 opt and you can move in. But if they leave Rome empty with ZoC I see how the code doesn't let you move in.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I had it where an invasion says "the unit moved" which is a flag.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

I know how to fix this.

Yea if you attack the hex costs 1 opt and you can move in. But if they leave Rome empty with ZoC I see how the code doesn't let you move in.

Thank you Alvaro.
Robert Harris

Return to “War Plan: Tech Support”