Tokyo Express

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

ncc1701e

Tokyo Express

Post by ncc1701e »

Reading a book on the battle of Guadalcanal and the so called Tokyo Express, all the missions were performed at night.

According to wikipedia also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Express
The Japanese themselves called the night resupply missions "Rat Transportation" (鼠輸送, nezumi yusō), because they took place at night.
Most of the warships used for Tokyo Express missions came from the Eighth Fleet, based at Rabaul and Bougainville, although ships from Combined Fleet units based at Truk were often temporarily attached for use in Express missions. The warship formations assigned to Express missions were often formally designated as the "Reinforcement Unit", but the size and composition of this unit varied from mission to mission.

But, in the game, this is impossible to perform night moves from Rabaul. The best that can be done is near Munda.

Attachments
tokyoexpress1.jpg
tokyoexpress1.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

RE: Tokyo Express

Post by ncc1701e »

Indeed, according to the manual:
Night Move — A fleet that starts in a port, has 2 operation points and has moved 6 hexes or fewer will be considered doing a night move. Only fleets with surface groups can perform a night move. Night moves are not subject to air attacks from air units or carriers. Night moves drop the chance of being found and finding other fleets by 50%.

Night moves can be done only up to 6 hexes. But, reading this book, at 30 knots, the Japanese destroyers were perfectly having the time to come from Rabaul to perform their night mission. And then, go back not to Rabaul but no more in range of the Cactus Air Force at Henderson Field.

Would it be a problem to increase the night move to 9 hexes instead of 6 hexes for the Japanese destroyers to go to the Cap Esperance using a night move as they historically did?

Of course, the Allies will also benefit from this.

Attachments
tokyoexpress2.jpg
tokyoexpress2.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 49 times
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

And also, it will allow plenty of night naval battles between USA and Japan like what was done historically.

I have checked the distance between all islands of Central Pacific and I don't think increasing to 9 hexes is an issue.

The main benefit will be for South Pacific and near the Philippines.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Still reading my book, the Japanese with only destroyers were able to land around 1000 men several nights to bring reinforcements to the units on Guadalcanal.

So I was wondering. This guy is in bad shape.

Attachments
beachhead1.jpg
beachhead1.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 49 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

When using beachhead supply:

Attachments
beachhead2.jpg
beachhead2.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 49 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

This is only impacting supplies and, as such, effectiveness.

Attachments
beachhead3.jpg
beachhead3.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 49 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thus, I was wondering. Why beachhead supply could not be used to bring in 1 or 2 points of strength back to the unit being supplied by the CA/DD warships?

This way, beachhead supply brings supplies and men. Of course, no advancement upgrade... [:D]
Since it was not always working, perhaps add a 75% chance that the 1-2 strength points are given.

Could be interesting imo.

Around 1000 men per night with 9 destroyers, for a two weeks turn, what does it mean for WPP?
1 strength point? 2 strength points? More? I really don't know.

Of course these strength points will be deduced from the manpower pool.

Objections? Gamey?

Attachments
beachhead4.jpg
beachhead4.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 49 times
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

It's the scale of the game. Instead you could simply night move to keep them in supply and gain reinforcements.

I also don't want to add another level of complexity to the system.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

It's the scale of the game. Instead you could simply night move to keep them in supply and gain reinforcements.

Sorry but what do you mean by gaining reinforcements? I am not sure to understand.
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

In this case I think you could use the naval resupply on a beat-up unit in supply that already received reinforcements, thus letting them double dip from the reinforcement pool.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have done several tests. One unit 6/10 without supply source. The only unit in priority to receive reinforcements. I am using beachhead supply on it.
It will never received any strength point as reinforcements.

If I am understanding well that beachhead supply is putting the unit back in supply and that it can received reinforcements. Then, this is broken.
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

The other thing that could happen if a unit receives reinforcements from beachhead supply would be that a unit in basic supply on the coast could then receive reinforcements.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Remington700

The other thing that could happen if a unit receives reinforcements from beachhead supply would be that a unit in basic supply on the coast could then receive reinforcements.

If they are receiving beachhead supply? I am not sure I am understanding the rules now. Alvaro says "you could simply night move to keep them in supply and gain reinforcements". Which reinforcements?
Remington700

Post by Remington700 »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Thus, I was wondering. Why beachhead supply could not be used to bring in 1 or 2 points of strength back to the unit being supplied by the CA/DD warships?

This way, beachhead supply brings supplies and men.

It is probably me who is misunderstanding the post. I was responding to the idea of returning strength points to the unit (reinforcements) which I think in terms of replacements. If beachhead supply were to provided replacements you could use this technique on units in basic or full supply to add strength points to a unit in addition to what they receive during the reinforcement phase.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I was mistaken. I forgot you do need to be in supply from a source to get reinforcements. That's how it works. You need a port.

Let me think about this. I might make it part of the supply runner specialty.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

I was mistaken. I forgot you do need to be in supply from a source to get reinforcements. That's how it works. You need a port.

Let me think about this. I might make it part of the supply runner specialty.

Thanks
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Remington700

It is probably me who is misunderstanding the post. I was responding to the idea of returning strength points to the unit (reinforcements) which I think in terms of replacements. If beachhead supply were to provided replacements you could use this technique on units in basic or full supply to add strength points to a unit in addition to what they receive during the reinforcement phase.

Your points are very valid. I am sure Alvaro will find out a good way to replicate the fact that destroyers bring few reinforcements during the night moves of the Tokyo Express.

Return to “Warplan Pacific”