Save Game Runtime Error

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

adek670

RE: RE : Enregistrer l’erreur d’exécution du jeu

Post by adek670 »

still getting this issue, and raised a help ticket.

Has anyone had any joy from these help ticket responses?

So far the dialogue over week's worth has been:

1. Q. Can you try going to Windows Defender and disabling the option "Controlled Folder Access? A. It was never enabled
2. Q . Please open the folder where you've installed the game. Locate and select a file named "autorun.exe". Press the right mouse button and select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Tick the option "Run this program as an administrator". Click on "Apply" and "Ok". Double click on "autorun.exe" for running the program and check if the issue persists. A. tried and no change
3. Q. The issue is that a Runtime Error is a fairly generic thing and not all users are getting these. Which folder is the game installed to? A. given folder path, no waiting on next response.

Not sure im going to get any help...
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Make sure the game is run with administrator privileges.
adek670

Post by adek670 »

Thanks eskuche -- as per point 2 above, this makes no difference to the runtime error.
ObeseMonkey

Post by ObeseMonkey »

The lack of any response is getting very annoying, especially given how supportive they’ve been of this game with regular updates. This is clearly a major issue. It’s being repported by multiple people here and on steam, most all say the same thing. That the game worked for many hours (in my case over 100) without issue. I have not changed pc, I do not have low memory. Every other Gary Grisby game I own continues to work. The only solution is to disable sound. Frankly it would be nice to at least get some response. I get your busy with the new game, but this isn’t exactly a great selling point for me shilling over another 60 or more quid for a new game when a major issue continues to go un-fixed on this one.
'Juana Azurduy, flor del Alto Perú, No hay otro capitán más valiente que tú'.
Hanny

RE: Save Game Runtime Error

Post by Hanny »

ORIGINAL: adek670

Just returning to WITE and the runtime issue is the same for me. Crashes out either in the game or during the AI turn. I am running the steam version - never had a problem with 333hours plus on this game over the years, until now.

Game also appears to get clunky and slow down after a few turns. Seems to be with latest final and beta patch -- no difference.

Is the game now too old to run on the latest version of windows?

Shame -has always been my go to when I need a hex battle fix.

Beta version enabled?, i can replicate the sound issue by not using the latest beta on steam, with beta i have no issues as the beta solves that. You can check core game files by validating through the steam folder, if files ask to be over written then it may be steam overlay causing the problem rather than WiTe. If so validate before playing. I have never had a CTD or even a slow down.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
General Freyburg

Post by General Freyburg »

Hi My friend has just bought the game

And I can't play him as it crashes during the saving or ending turn in Multiplayer, any idea when the fixes will be released??

Alistair
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

I think never, nobody from devs seems to be interesting in this fck error......since march i got that shit....i give up all mp games....
stolowski

Post by stolowski »

I picked WiTE just recently and started experiencing this bug after a couple of turns (spent around just 3 hours with the game in total, playing Smolensk scenario)... I'd say the tendency of crashing when accessing Save menu (or doing quick-save, or letting the game auto-save) is pretty high for me; it was fine initially until 6th - 7th turn or so. Now it crashes practically every time when I reload my last save and continue from there.

That's pretty annoying.. I just started to enjoy this game a lot... Seeing how old the problem is and still doesn't have a fix (plus, the devs are very likely focused on WiTE2) makes me sad :(

PHENICUS

Post by PHENICUS »

Same problem here.

Renaming "sound" folder fixed it but what is a game that you pay full price for without sound?

Admins have isolated the problem to sound. Now please fix it.

Thank you
The general must be righteous. If he is not righteous, then he will not be severe. If he is not severe, then he will not be awesome. If he is not awesome, then the troops will not die for him -Sun Tzu
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

if this workaround fixes a problem it's source of problems is within your windows installation. In most cases improper working or broken audio codecs
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
PHENICUS

Post by PHENICUS »

Denniss,

Your logic may be flawed here. Many people are having the same crash on save issue and the same fix seems to be the only one that works long term. I have hundreds of games and none have this crash on save / sound issue. I have dozens or more other programs that use sound but none cause this issue or any prolems crashes when saving.

If you have a specific basis or indicator that the problem is a codecs in my windows instalation I am interested in what that problem is but to put a blanket statement with nothing more to it is not helpful and I do not believe it resolves the legitimate issue that people are having with this specific game.

Thanks for any additional information about how or why the audio codecs would be causing the game to crash on save.
The general must be righteous. If he is not righteous, then he will not be severe. If he is not severe, then he will not be awesome. If he is not awesome, then the troops will not die for him -Sun Tzu
stolowski

Post by stolowski »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

if this workaround fixes a problem it's source of problems is within your windows installation. In most cases improper working or broken audio codecs

Nope. I've run Windows troubleshoot utility (I think I picked sound-related issues), one of the checks included codecs and it didn't find any problems. I have never messed with codecs on this PC. I don't have sound issue in any other game.

My guess is that the game has a subtle bug in its use of some of the Windows API (sound related API maybe), for example it could be using a non-thread safe API calls from a thread etc. The nature of such bugs is that they may hit randomly, and not on every system.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Get and run Codec Tweak Tool
https://codecguide.com/download_other.htm

top left button "Fixes", then Apply+close
PHENICUS

Post by PHENICUS »

I downloaded and ran the "Fix". I will rename my folder back to "sound" and give it a go.

Thanks
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

AFAIR it should open a text report file if it found something broken but re-registering the basic filters may also fix something that didn't work. A reboot may be required.
PHENICUS

Post by PHENICUS »

I ran it and i did a number of reboots but the problem is back. I will be renaming sound back to _sound and playing without sound and hope a fix is discovered.
stolowski

Post by stolowski »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Get and run Codec Tweak Tool
https://codecguide.com/download_other.htm

top left button "Fixes", then Apply+close

I did that but got same runtime error after just 5 minutes in the game by doing this:
- loading a new scenario
- hitting quit to return to the main menu (without making any movements on the map)
- hitting "Load scenario" to select a new one -> runtime error.

This is the exact same runtime error I have been seeing when using in-game saves.
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

Any news from this error? I still have it.....
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

The crux to fix a problem is to replicate the problem for investigation. It never happenend to me or morvael.
It's still unknown what causes the crashes. May be anything from software conflict to well hidden bug in WitE to hardware issue.
I assume the sound folder was already renamed to rule out this possible problem ?
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

Yes, if i renamed that it dont occur, on my Laptop i can still play hour after hour, but on my desktop PC this fck error comes a lot. My Laptop is really old, 8 years, no updates for graphiccards awailable and it runs, on my two years Old high end PC it doesnt run. And only this Game, my absolute Favorite in the Last 10 Years, will make error on my Desktop. I play 2500 hours and more with no Problems and then one day this comes after a Windowes update. I write it above. Much People have the same Problem, so anything must be wrong.....

Return to “Tech Support”